major power loss and hesitation!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
major power loss and hesitation!!!

I've posted this on other forums and got little to no help. I have an 86 lx 3.8 auto trans. At first when I would start it it took 3 times for it to stay running and had no power at all. I also had to cut my cats cuz they got clogged. When I got on it hard it just sputtered but after new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator, fuel injectors, throttle position sesor, MAP sensor, distributor cap, wires, plugs, air filter, oil filter and I think that's it, besides cleaning the TB and replacing the gasgets, it doesn't die any more but it idles rough and still hesitates when I get on it and only get 18 MPG. This is my DD and if some one can't help me I'm going to have to pay a garage money I don't really have to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
my 01 3.8 had similar problems. until i got new Ford coils it along with ford plugs and wires it went away.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot my coil is new as well. After I replaced my plugs it went away for about 5 min then came back so I'm thinking it might b running rich and fouling the plugs. If it is I just can't figure out why. Could bad oxygen sensors make it run this rich?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025
I forgot my coil is new as well. After I replaced my plugs it went away for about 5 min then came back so I'm thinking it might b running rich and fouling the plugs. If it is I just can't figure out why. Could bad oxygen sensors make it run this rich?
It's possible faulty signals telling it to send too much gas. It wouldn't be a bad thing to replace even if that's not the answer.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Wow you just about described my issue exactly, except i havent replaced that many parts. do you have any ticking? Im starting to wonder if i might have a stuck valve or something. Because i have a faint ticking noise

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind

Wow you just about described my issue exactly, except i havent replaced that many parts. do you have any ticking? Im starting to wonder if i might have a stuck valve or something. Because i have a faint ticking noise
Not that ive noticed but when i get off Work im going to listen for tivking. And change my oxygrn sensors. Think it could b ur timing?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not that ive noticed but when i get off Work im going to listen for tivking. And change my oxygrn sensors. Think it could b ur timing?
I haven't had a chance to check it but i've kept that in mind

LCMC Member
Old 05-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, so I got my oxygen sensors and the one one the right side of the engine (if ur standing at the front of the car) is easy to get to and in plain sight because of the engine being off set. But the one on the left side in impossible to get to as is. I couldn't even see it ill I poked around for a few min. Since there is about 2 inches to get to it and those 2 inches r filled with gas lines, heater core hoses and a few vacuum hoses. Any tips on how I can change it???
Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Only way i can think of is to unbolt the downpipe

LCMC Member
Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well they're on the headers not even an inch behind the third pipe from the header that goes to the engine. (Sorry I don't know the technical terms) so I'm thinking I might have to jack it up and take the header off. or there is a pipe that goes from the back of the engine to what looks like the smog pump that is right in the way. If I took off the smog pump I'm thinking I might b able to reach n there and get it.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think I may have found the problem. I checked the vacuum and I'm only getting 12 ft. At idle. I replaced a few hoses and now I'm up to 15. could it b causing this much of a prob?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Re: major power loss and hesitation!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
I think I may have found the problem. I checked the vacuum and I'm only getting 12 ft. At idle. I replaced a few hoses and now I'm up to 15. could it b causing this much of a prob?
I've heard that these cars are extremely sensitive to vacuum leaks but i dont know that it would cause that big of an issue

LCMC Member
Old 06-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was wondering. I did a lot of reading on here and it would def cause an issue but idk if this much of one. Maybe a combonation of this and something else?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just got my stang back from the garage! its a lot better after they replaced the ERG valve but it still idles a tiny bit rough and I'm only up to 15 ft. At idle. From what I hear that's still low right? Shouldn't it b atleast 19?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just got my stang back from the garage! its a lot better after they replaced the ERG valve but it still idles a tiny bit rough and I'm only up to 15 ft. At idle. From what I hear that's still low right? Shouldn't it b atleast 19?
Just keep an eye on it cuz everything i did that cleaned it up it usually came back within a week or so. So let me know how it works out

LCMC Member
Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just keep an eye on it cuz everything i did that cleaned it up it usually came back within a week or so. So let me know how it works out
Well that sucks. Last week I read ur thread about what happened to ur stang thinking I might find some useful info. U still having issues?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well that sucks. Last week I read ur thread about what happened to ur stang thinking I might find some useful info. U still having issues?
Yea. A friend of mine suggested trying gas with no ethanol in it. He says that thats the cause of most of the problems now in cars because of the gum the ethanol creates. So i filled a up to a half tank today with that. Probably going to give it at least another half tank but so far thats not helping either

Some info that i have found however, its not just the v6. On another forum i found a post where a guy had a GT that had done the same thing. But that thread didn't have a resolution either

LCMC Member
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I know I said this b4 but I was just curious wether ur timing is good?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know I said this b4 but I was just curious wether ur timing is good?
Honestly i don't know. That is on my list of things to check, along with the valve train. A couple people have mentioned a stuck valve or something. But to check my timing i need to get the help of someone with a timing light or take it to a shop. One of the things I'm going to do is check the timing chain though...theres a pretty simple way to test it where you take off the valve cover and rotate the crank manually. (I think clockwise, don't remember right now) and the valve train should move. If it does the timing belt is bad

LCMC Member
Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It costs 40 for a timing gun at autozone and it cost 40 to have a garage do it so I just had a local garage set it. It helped a lot! Is ur stang ur DD or weekend car?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, now if it ever gets out of time again your gonna have to pay the garage to do it again instead of not paying anything and walking out, popping your hood and doing it yourself
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty
Wow, now if it ever gets out of time again your gonna have to pay the garage to do it again instead of not paying anything and walking out, popping your hood and doing it yourself
I thought about that but I've never done it b4 so after seeing them do itg next time ill prob buy one. I've only had a mustang for about 6 weeks now and I've never had probs with timing b4.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

It takes like ten minutes, a Chilton and a special wrench that costs like ten bucks
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, id like to get one so I can bump up my timing eventually but I seriously don't know any one who knows n e thing about cars. All I know is what I find online. What's a good gun for not to bad a price?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It costs 40 for a timing gun at autozone and it cost 40 to have a garage do it so I just had a local garage set it. It helped a lot! Is ur stang ur DD or weekend car?
Its my DD, I'll look into having my timing checked

LCMC Member
Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Its my DD, I'll look into having my timing checked
It sucks having ur DD running rough. Let me no what happens when u get it checked out.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

My stang would hesitate off idle also. So irritating! I did a EGR delete and it totally cured the off idle hesitation. I check my PCV valve and oil was drippin off it. Also ran the motor with the PCV unhooked from the manifold and oil kinda ran out of the hose so I bought two valve cover breathers and plugged off the intake tube hole and the manifold fitting. Runs like a champ! Also run some seafoam thru the manifold after the conversion to get some of the oil outta your intake.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
My stang would hesitate off idle also. So irritating! I did a EGR delete and it totally cured the off idle hesitation. I check my PCV valve and oil was drippin off it. Also ran the motor with the PCV unhooked from the manifold and oil kinda ran out of the hose so I bought two valve cover breathers and plugged off the intake tube hole and the manifold fitting. Runs like a champ! Also run some seafoam thru the manifold after the conversion to get some of the oil outta your intake.
I thought about deleting my egr and pcv but I found out deleting my egr would kill my mpg. Only reason I havnt deleted my pcv is there is a vacuum line going from it to a box under my batt and I have no clue wat it does and I can't find a vacuum diagram. Since you've done it do u know what the box is?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought about deleting my egr and pcv but I found out deleting my egr would kill my mpg. Only reason I havnt deleted my pcv is there is a vacuum line going from it to a box under my batt and I have no clue wat it does and I can't find a vacuum diagram. Since you've done it do u know what the box is?
The PCV is just the crankcase ventilation, it goes from the intake to the valve covers, at least mine does, i have one going off the top of the upper intake into the driver side, and the passenger side has one that goes to my intake tubing

LCMC Member
Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The PCV is just the crankcase ventilation, it goes from the intake to the valve covers, at least mine does, i have one going off the top of the upper intake into the driver side, and the passenger side has one that goes to my intake tubing
So youyr only has one hose? Mine has 2. One goes to the back of the throttle body and one goes to the small box I was tlkin about.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

my pcv hoses are the two that are circled

LCMC Member
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Gotch ya. Mine looks completely different. Mine in an 86 and I only have one pcv one the passenger side and on the driver side a hose goes from the oil cap to my air cleaner. I have wondered why they would have pcv on one side and not the other.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

dunno, nothing in the haynes/chiltons?

LCMC Member
Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I have a haynes manuel and it doesn't even have a single paragraph on vacuum. I've read it 3 times trfying to find something! On the plus side I learned a lot about my car. it very infomative on most but as far as emissions and vac it doesn't have much.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Just unplug the hoes and plug off where it goes back to your intake and see if it does anything. If not then you could prob just rip all that stuff out.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang