Screamin demond coil packs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Screamin demond coil packs?

My 2001 v6 just got a small tune up, plugs wires, filters, and was wondering if anyone out ther has tried or herd anything about the screaming demons coil packs I was thinking about getting one. pros cons goods bads?? Let me know..!
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Re: Screamin demond coil packs?

I have one, I installed it. .065 spark plug gap. Currently at 24.8 mpg city, 32 mpg hwy. It helped.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John
I have one, I installed it. .065 spark plug gap. Currently at 24.8 mpg city, 32 mpg hwy. It helped.
Why diffrent spark gap
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Because it sends more power you can run a larger gap

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind
Because it sends more power you can run a larger gap
Do you have to run a diffrent gap?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I dont think you have to. But the bigger the gap the easier your engine can ignite the fuel and run better. But you have to have the power to actually get the spark to make the jump. lf you have to big a gap for the voltage that your coil pack produces the it will be a weak spark and wont ignite properly.

LCMC Member
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind
I dont think you have to. But the bigger the gap the easier your engine can ignite the fuel and run better. But you have to have the power to actually get the spark to make the jump. lf you have to big a gap for the voltage that your coil pack produces the it will be a weak spark and wont ignite properly.
Can I run the same spark plugs or do I need higher heat ones?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac

Can I run the same spark plugs or do I need higher heat ones?
Pretty sure you dont need you change the heat of them

LCMC Member
Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
How on earth are you getting 32 hwy I be lucky to get 26 hwy and 23 city
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Every upgrade has been with the focus on fuel economy not performance. When I ordered tunes from BAMA I specifically said "I want the best fuel economy possible, even if I have to sacrifice acceleration for MPG"

I have no idea if they even read what I wrote, or if they are capable of writing a tune for economy? I would guess that they did based on my numbers.

Read my signature, it lists almost everything I have done, and most have increased my MPG to some degree or another.

Also, I haven't made a habit of doing hard launches or shifting at 5,000 RPMs. I generally baby my car and I usually drive the speed limit.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Also, I haven't made a habit of doing hard launches or shifting at 5,000 RPMs. I generally baby my car and I usually drive the speed limit.
For me that's very hard to do, lol :p but I do baby my car too but she also loves to get up an goooo

Speed limits are recommended speeds :p

Stop signs are 3 2 1 GO!!!!

Hav·oc/ˈhavək/
Noun: Widespread destruction.
Verb: Lay waste to; devastate.

2000- V6 First Stang
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Every upgrade has been with the focus on fuel economy not performance. When I ordered tunes from BAMA I specifically said "I want the best fuel economy possible, even if I have to sacrifice acceleration for MPG"

I have no idea if they even read what I wrote, or if they are capable of writing a tune for economy? I would guess that they did based on my numbers.

Read my signature, it lists almost everything I have done, and most have increased my MPG to some degree or another.

Can't read it i do everything from my phone you should copy an paste it in a reply! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote:

Was the bama tune worth it and I'm a little stingy with money and hate to spend money on something that does no good.. And with my auto tranny (yes I wish it was a 5) it's hard to pull that last few mpgs out..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

My Screamin Demon coil has been on the car for 3 years now and has been working flawlessly. I know that the Accell coil packs do not work on all model years. Did not work on mine. I got coil & wires same day. Granatelli MPG Plus wires have held up perfect as well. I still gap my plugs at .053 & use Autolite copper core plugs, FYI-
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
Can't read it i do everything from my phone you should copy an paste it in a reply! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Was the bama tune worth it and I'm a little stingy with money and hate to spend money on something that does no good.. And with my auto tranny (yes I wish it was a 5) it's hard to pull that last few mpgs out..
Here is a list for ya.
Windstar Upper intake with optional 65mm throttle body, gained about 4 mpg both city and highway.
Screamin Demon, forgot what wires and plugs I installed though.
SCT tuner (worth every cent and then some...) Gained 4 mpg with that too.
25% Underdrive pulley. That was worth 1-2 city MPG, no change on highway.
Shorty headers, high flow cat X-pipe, American Thunder catback (lost city and gained highway mpg)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang