Three Newbie Questions for 2004 V6 Coupe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
Three Newbie Questions for 2004 V6 Coupe

I just put some money together for a small order. First up is fixing the terrible looking stock headlights. (Any good suggestions welcomed as far as brand or distributor...just looking for stock style replacements...nothing fancy like chrome halogen smoked halo ring thingees.)

But, after that upgrade, I have two other questions; and I'm sorry if they're old and tired questions, but I didn't see any definite answers in several searches.

One: Are there any recommendations for springs that will lower my V6 Coupe about 1" or so that can be done without CC plates and going with new shocks and struts? (Car just turned 70k miles and still feels tight and fresh.) Or is it an all or nothing deal? I just want a slightly lower stance, not looking for slammed or road-race level of drop. I have upgraded to 18" rims and BFG G-force 240/45X18 tires front and rear...if that matters?

Two: According to my door data tag, I have the Tremec 3150 5 speed transmission. With that knowledge, what shifter would you guys/gals recommend (full shifter replacement, not just the mast/knob) as a replacement for the stock unit? Are they the same options as the 3650 or the T5? What fits and performs better?

All responses welcome.

Thanks,

Matt
Mr. Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Re: Three Newbie Questions for 2004 V6 Coupe

Shifter 1990-2004 Mustang SHORT THROW SHIFTER
BMW, Hurst Steeda etc are all in the same price range +/- $25. This is where the bang for the buck is at. Period
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to SoCalKev
He's right and honestly I would recommend any spec D running lights
I had halo gen check out my old stang
SoCalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #4

Region: Missouri

Thanks for the replies fellas. I can't find a spec-D in a factory configuration. I really want to keep the factory look on the headlights.

Anybody have experience with the OEM style lights from LMR or AM? That's what I'm leaning towards.

Thanks, John. From what I have read, the TR-3150 was designed to be the replacement for the T5 in the newer Mustangs (05-up), but the design was never put into practice? So, apparently even though my door code is a "G", for the TR-3150, the trans is actually a T5 as the 3150 never came to fruition in the V6 Mustang. LMR has a smoking deal on the Steeda Tri-Ax with knob right now, so I'm looking towards that model. If anybody has experience with that, I'd love to hear it.

Also thinking of the Ford "B" Springs to lower the Mustang. Anybody tried those without swapping shocks/struts?
Mr. Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to SoCalKev
All am products are amazing go with those
SoCalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120530_023612.png
Views:	202
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	52368
I just bought these headlights off ebay for $90. There are a few other members that have the same ones and they look great. I dont have a pic of them on since i havent had time to seal them. But once i do i will get a picture up.

As for springs if you want a one inch drop lmr has sve springs on sale for $85. I have no experience with that brand but from what ive heard is they are slight stiffer than the stock ones. Search thread Sve springs? There are some pics on there
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i agree completly with fresh. i got my headlights for like 85 from ebay, as long as u seal them ur fine.

and as far as springs , those sve springs are cheap and drop ur car 1.5 at most. but latemodel also has some Ford springs. a little bit more expensive but the drop should be a little lower than 1.5 like the sve springs.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ing-Spring-Kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3442372473.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	52372  

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

STAY AWAY from off brand no-name ebay suspension parts. My car has lowering springs that have lost their resilience and have sagged. The previous owner installed them and they died quickly.

In the front end I can't even get an accurate alignment because of the sagging... I am 2.5 degrees off and the only way to get closer is to install Caster/Camber plates... or taller springs (think name brand here).

Imagine that.... I need to buy a lowering spring to jack my car up... WTF is this ?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gray
I just put some money together for a small order. First up is fixing the terrible looking stock headlights. (Any good suggestions welcomed as far as brand or distributor...just looking for stock style replacements...nothing fancy like chrome halogen smoked halo ring thingees.)

But, after that upgrade, I have two other questions; and I'm sorry if they're old and tired questions, but I didn't see any definite answers in several searches.

One: Are there any recommendations for springs that will lower my V6 Coupe about 1" or so that can be done without CC plates and going with new shocks and struts? (Car just turned 70k miles and still feels tight and fresh.) Or is it an all or nothing deal? I just want a slightly lower stance, not looking for slammed or road-race level of drop. I have upgraded to 18" rims and BFG G-force 240/45X18 tires front and rear...if that matters?

Two: According to my door data tag, I have the Tremec 3150 5 speed transmission. With that knowledge, what shifter would you guys/gals recommend (full shifter replacement, not just the mast/knob) as a replacement for the stock unit? Are they the same options as the 3650 or the T5? What fits and performs better?

All responses welcome.

Thanks,

Matt
For headlights, head on over to latemodelrestoration.com. Their cheapest new OEM style headlights are dark smoked (looks sick!) For $100.

For lowering, hhr or maybe some eibach pro kits. But for that kind of money, you can go to latemodelrestoration.com and pick up a handling pack which has 4 springs (2" drop), shocks, struts, and subframe connectors. You cam get caster camber plates for cheap. I got some used Maximum Motorsports (normally almost $200) for $75 shipped from eBay or you can do Craigslist.

Shifter wise, steeda tri-ax
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I have black beauty headlights and love them.

Ford Racing "F" springs are designed for the weight/characteristics of the V6 and drop you 1"-1.5":
FRPP F Springs
The best shifter in my opinion is MGW. I have had a few & this is a masterpiece:

Have Fun!!!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang