TUNE - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
TUNE

where can i get a TUNE from and How does a TUNE work?
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: TUNE

A tune basically optimizes the power your engine is making. I wouldn't recommend spending the money on a good tune unless you are sure you're gonna leave the car alone for a while, otherwise you are just wasting money.

What are your plans for the car?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Well another option for him for now, would be to get a hand held and do the tune himself. Then when things change and until he would really need a dyno tune he could just play with it on his own!

SCT
Diablo

those are two good choices to start with and will offer you a lot of versitility!
New Baby:
1989 5.0 5spd Great plans for this monster!
afinley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
A tune basically optimizes the power your engine is making. I wouldn't recommend spending the money on a good tune unless you are sure you're gonna leave the car alone for a while, otherwise you are just wasting money.

What are your plans for the car?
x2

the tune basically modifies the programming to match the modifications of your car... so do it after you had a significant amount of mods and want to reap the full benefits of your labor.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

how much does it cost and where can i get one from?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick View Post
how much does it cost and where can i get one from?
Around $379 or so.... VMP Tuning Inc

And, in regards to the comment about tuning it yourself, don't try unless you know what all of the settings do and how they relate to each other. Just changing things to where you think they need to be can, and probably will, cause problems. Leave it to the pros until you learn about how to do it.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

I've been toying with this idea myself. I'll let you know what I've done and what you guy's may recommend.

I've got a 2007 v6 auto. I'm not interested in trying to get 300+hp, I just want to make it a little more enjoyable. So far I've put an aluminum catback exhaust with a magnaflow muffler on it. Then I went and got an Air Raid cold air intake. I got a good deal on a nice set of drilled and slotted rotor's as well . Other than that she's stock. If I invest in a good tune, be it SCT or Diablo, would it really be worth it? I'm not looking for a huge impact, just enough to give her a little more bang for her buck.
2007 V6 Mustang w/ Pony Package. Performance Mods - 2.25 custom aluminum catback exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, AirRaid cold air intake, drilled and slotted rotor's front and rear, SCT Programmer, Ford Racing Tlok, Motiv 4:10 gears, LFP underdrive pulley
Greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
I've been toying with this idea myself. I'll let you know what I've done and what you guy's may recommend.

I've got a 2007 v6 auto. I'm not interested in trying to get 300+hp, I just want to make it a little more enjoyable. So far I've put an aluminum catback exhaust with a magnaflow muffler on it. Then I went and got an Air Raid cold air intake. I got a good deal on a nice set of drilled and slotted rotor's as well . Other than that she's stock. If I invest in a good tune, be it SCT or Diablo, would it really be worth it? I'm not looking for a huge impact, just enough to give her a little more bang for her buck.
WIth automatic cars, even with very few mods, it is always worth it. The change in the shifting characteristics of the tranny give you a nice seat of the pants feel. While it won't change things too much power wise, it will just let the car use the power better and it will feel stronger.

This air raid kit, did it say it required a retune? I know on GT's it is very sensitive to most cold air kits and they require a tune...but I haven't paid much attention to the 05+ cars and the tune requirements so I could be off.

But, to answer your question, yes, it would be worth it for the SOTP feel. They are $399 from vmp with custom tunes and you really wouldn't need a dyno tune with your setup right now since the changes are minimal and pretty standard.

Then, you would have the tuner for later when you start adding more serious parts to get to your 300 hp goal...and you could just go to a shop and they could dyno tune you.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

when i buy the tune do i have to go to the shop to get it put or its something easy i can just plug in....right now i have a bbk cold air intake and a true dual exhaust that runs directly u think the tune is going to be really worth it?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

and i have a auto mustang
Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

You plug it into the ODBII port and tell it to load. It is a simple thing to do. Just plug and play...that's the other good thing about tuners...easy to install updates.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang