'00 v6 clutch problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to iphonemaster93
'00 v6 clutch problem?

Hey guys so with the stock tune, the clutch was running fine but when I uploaded 87 performance tune, in 1st gear going into 2nd and from 3rd going into 4th, whenever I depressed the clutch, the RPM needle would go up by at least 500 RPMs and then when I finish getting into gear, it drops back down. I know normally when I depress the clutch, the time it takes me to shift, the needle stays at the same place. So then I uploaded the street tune and the same thing happened. I now have it back at stock tune and for about a week and a half, on cold starts in the morning and occasionally in the afternoon where the engine is at normal temp, happens. I have a 91 race tune and I'm currently running 91 octane right now (went from 87 to 91 just to see what the difference is) but I'm afraid to try out the race tune because of this mystery of the clutch. Why is the clutch doing this and can I try out the race tune in this condition? Thanks
iphonemaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Well the tune it's self don't mess with the clutch .. Clutch is only mechanical has no chips or wires or brains nothing techno wise only has just a adjustment for the clutch cable but the tune makes the rpms run 500 above normal just sounds like it sets ur idle faster for more smoother running during faster speeds maybe..
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangg2000
Well the tune it's self don't mess with the clutch .. Clutch is only mechanical has no chips or wires or brains nothing techno wise only has just a adjustment for the clutch cable but the tune makes the rpms run 500 above normal just sounds like it sets ur idle faster for more smoother running during faster speeds maybe..
So for my RPMs to increase by 500 when depress the clutch and I have either street/performance/race tune uploaded is normal, it's got nothing to do with the clutch. I just want to make sure that that IS the case before I upload the custom tunes again. And which means my clutch is still good then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The tune has nothing to do with your clutch correct .. The tune tells your cars computer what to set everything at
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So which means my clutch is still good then and I'm just not used to the side effects of the tune
Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93
So which means my clutch is still good then and I'm just not used to the side effects of the tune
Accurate
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly my friend
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly my friend
You rocking the bright Atlantic, 2000???
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yup wicked color
Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yup wicked color
I love it. I was gonna trade it for a vette. That color played a major role in not trading.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What year was the vette? But this color is the reason I bought this car..
Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What year was the vette? But this color is the reason I bought this car..
84. It ended up needed a lot of cosmetic work and it was running a little rough. I lined up with him at a light. I got him by about ten lengths by the next light is my mildly upped six. Kinda made my vette-chub go away
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Re: '00 v6 clutch problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang View Post
Accurate
so i just took my car out for a drive a few hours ago and when i tried backing up (parallel parking), the reverse gear grinded 3 times in a row. that has never happened to me before. I got incredibly embarrassed because I was on the main street and the street was crowded with people and cars -____-
Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93

so i just took my car out for a drive a few hours ago and when i tried backing up (parallel parking), the reverse gear grinded 3 times in a row. that has never happened to me before. I got incredibly embarrassed because I was on the main street and the street was crowded with people and cars -____-
Could be a few things. Check ur fluid first. If that's good might be master cylinder, slave cylinder, or the bearing. Just hope it's not the synchros in the tranny. That'd be a b!tch!!!

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

I'd want to see my clutch if my car were doing this, so since I had it apart I'd replace it. Now would be a good time to throw that lighter flywheel you've been itching to buy in there too. *wink* while simultaneously *headbang*ing
Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Re: '00 v6 clutch problem?

Quote:
Could be a few things. Check ur fluid first. If that's good might be master cylinder, slave cylinder, or the bearing. Just hope it's not the synchros in the tranny. That'd be a b!tch!!!
it actually is i think, i mean in the past, second going into third gear grinded, sometimes even first to second grinded. but somehow now it's a ton better so it doesn't grind anymore. i need to replace the transmission in the future, that's all i know. and fluid wise...i think i'm still good. just got it swapped a few months ago, how quickly does it normally run out?

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

I'd want to see my clutch if my car were doing this, so since I had it apart I'd replace it. Now would be a good time to throw that lighter flywheel you've been itching to buy in there too. *wink* while simultaneously *headbang*ing
i actually would replace both the clutch and the flywheel cuz i got enough money for it but i'm the money for something else, and it's got nothing to do with cars
Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah if your grinding gears bud ur clutch could be shot best thing is under on your tranny there is a cover on driver side take it off like a little plate under it is the adjustment for you clutch cable tighten it up till u don't grind it will work for a little while but be looking for the best deal on a new clutch.. If u still grind after clutch it's your synchronizers and like dude said there a *****..

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Best way to tell is when your at a dead stop and u press ur clutch to the floor and try to stick it in gear if it goes fine with out force your having a bit of tranny trouble if it don't go it's your clutch try to tighten it up tho it will shift different but prolongs the change
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My clutch was actually adjusted by the dealership because I thought that the clutch placement was too low so I wanted it to be at the highest point possible so the engagement point would come earlier as I'm releasing the clutch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang