Maintain My Ride - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Maintain My Ride

So I am not sure if I am maybe getting too used to the power of my mustang, but it seems a little slow. And since I can't really buy mods right now, has anyone tried the fuel cleaner liquid. There are quite a few on sale right now (STP, Gumout, Rislone) at Canadian tire.

Do these even work and help anything?
Thank you
02_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Fuel system cleaner? I use it all the time. I used to have a blazer that got 16 mpg and when I would put techron fuel system cleaner In it I would get 19 mpg!
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
our cars are pretty slow man. cant do much but add mods to it. its always good to give ur car a good tune up so doing it wont be a bad thing. i would go with lucas to clean my fuel system. and also use Seafoam

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
BG products.. It's called 44K, hands down the best out there.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. I don't mean slow in general, just more like slowing down lately. So is it just fill up gas tank and put the whole bottle in and good to go? Or run for a few minutes?
02_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_Mustang
Thanks guys. I don't mean slow in general, just more like slowing down lately. So is it just fill up gas tank and put the whole bottle in and good to go? Or run for a few minutes?
Well I've noticed mine has started to have a "slow feeling" off the line and it vibrates at idle a little, I'm thinking I just need a tune up, I am coming up on 95k. Looking to change the spark plugs to aftermarket ones that r better, coils, and coil wires.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx

Well I've noticed mine has started to have a "slow feeling" off the line and it vibrates at idle a little, I'm thinking I just need a tune up, I am coming up on 95k. Looking to change the spark plugs to aftermarket ones that r better, coils, and coil wires.
+1 on tune up

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote:
I wasn't talking about you, I was talking to horseplay. You get used to your speed. You could have a cobra and eventually get used to it and it will feel slower to you. Floor it and have some fun to remember how nice it is to have a quick car

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Take the silencer out of your filter and that gives a few hp.. Hard to do much without mods. Rear seat delete? Lol. Full tank doesn't matter. Your cars faster on less fuel cuz u weigh less. I think. Try octane booster? Idk man sorry.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How do you take the silencer out of our filter?
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had a 2000 v6 stang that I didn't get rid of until 166,000 miles and even then it had plenty of pep. I'd say a good tune up, oil change and like someone said, find a place and have some fun. U do get used to any car after awhile until u do something to remind u of y u loved it to begin with.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay

I'm not mad at all

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Think about a tuner tho, it absolutely made my car a beast. My gf has a stock v6... Doesn't compare.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Plugs, wires, new coil(makes a noticeable difference), air filter, sea foam through the intake manifold and gas tank, PCV delete, get a cheap cherry bomb muffler from auto zone and bolt it in place of your stocker( there are better mufflers but this is cheap and a DYI), run chevron gas. These are "cheaper" options and all of them will make a difference, especially altogether. A little more expensive options would be a CAI, full exhaust, aluminum flywheel( I did this with a sport clutch and I made my car feel 300lbs lighter), aluminum driveshaft, higher ratio roller rockers(can give up to 15hp and all you have to take off are the valve covers), and people are lovin that Windstar intake.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Re: Maintain My Ride

i see this everywhere and it annoys me... there is no upgrade in an actual coil pack for our cars, it's just a replace if it fails thing, and 90%+ of the time if you don't get a factory coil pack replacement it will fail again

and no it doesn't make a difference at all in performance unless your factory one is failing

the only actual upgrade in this (keep in mind the 500-600rwhp guys still use only a factory coil pack) is an MSD dis-4 or bigger unit, but that is required to be wired in a different way than factory so it's not really worth it

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert
i see this everywhere and it annoys me... there is no upgrade in an actual coil pack for our cars, it's just a replace if it fails thing, and 90%+ of the time if you don't get a factory coil pack replacement it will fail again

and no it doesn't make a difference at all in performance unless your factory one is failing

the only actual upgrade in this (keep in mind the 500-600rwhp guys still use only a factory coil pack) is an MSD dis-4 or bigger unit, but that is required to be wired in a different way than factory so it's not really worth it
As for myself and everyone who has gotten a MSD or Screamin Demon, has noticed a difference. Now whether that was from the aftermarket unit actually making a difference or the stocker failing( which our stock coils are prone to fail), it would still be a good idea to upgrade anyway. I personally noticed it run a little smoother after installing my MSD, but again it could of been from the stock one on its last leg. Either way im glad I bought it cuz its better than my stock coil and cheaper. I do find it hard to believe that MSD, a company that makes its business off selling ignition components that are supposed to be better than OEM, would make a Street Fire coil for our cars that doesn't do anything. Anyway my just a thought
Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Me too! Has also noticed big difference on msd and screamin demon coil. Those upgrades rocks!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I don't even know where to start in this thread

: facepalm

You are not going to see any gains from upgrading your coil pack unless like David said your stock one is failing and even then the best replacement is an oem ford unit.

Also the Essex v6 mustang is not a quick car by any means. Anyone who thinks so has just never been in a fast car.

Also installing roller rockers is quite a bit more complicated than just "removing the valve covers " and would not be worth spending money on if your motor is otherwise basically stock.
southfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the poor sixxers are slow( but we love em anyway) and true, it takes more than just removing the valve covers to do the rocker arms. I was trying to say that roller rockers are an easier mod than a hotter cam but you get the same benefits. Sure you gotta get better springs and maybe push rods but roller rockers will also give you cooler oil temps in addition to more valve lift. What you're sayin about the coil makes sense, electronic part only works as good as electronic parts can, so a new stock coil should work just as good as an aftermarket coil. It's just I could honestly tell a difference on drivability, starts, and take offs so I guess my stocker was just failing.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
Yeah the poor sixxers are slow( but we love em anyway) and true, it takes more than just removing the valve covers to do the rocker arms. I was trying to say that roller rockers are an easier mod than a hotter cam but you get the same benefits. Sure you gotta get better springs and maybe push rods but roller rockers will also give you cooler oil temps in addition to more valve lift. What you're sayin about the coil makes sense, electronic part only works as good as electronic parts can, so a new stock coil should work just as good as an aftermarket coil. It's just I could honestly tell a difference on drivability, starts, and take offs so I guess my stocker was just failing.
Roller rockers do not produce the same power gains and a properly specd can on an otherwise stock motor.

They are basically one of those finishing mods when you are trying to squeeze every last hp out of the motor.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Except I read an article where they replaced stock rocker for higher ratio rollers and gained somewhere between 15-20hp. It's easier than a cam and seems like the same. A gnarlier cam has more lift( and duration in some) well a rocker arm than has a higher ratio than your stock rocks will move you valves further( more lift) than your stock rockers would, so it kinds is like getting a hotter cam. Your valves will open more either way, you just don't have to pull off the whole from of your motor and your radiator to do rockers. Given old cams are prob wore down and you'd get and even greater benefit by doin the whole valve train but I don't see how you just can bolt a set of higher ratio rocker on a stock motor and not expect anything.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Except I read an article where they replaced stock rocker for higher ratio rollers and gained somewhere between 15-20hp. It's easier than a cam and seems like the same. A gnarlier cam has more lift( and duration in some) well a rocker arm than has a higher ratio than your stock rocks will move you valves further( more lift) than your stock rockers would, so it kinds is like getting a hotter cam. Your valves will open more either way, you just don't have to pull off the whole from of your motor and your radiator to do rockers. Given old cams are prob wore down and you'd get and even greater benefit by doin the whole valve train but I don't see how you just can bolt a set of higher ratio rocker on a stock motor and not expect anything.
I did not say to not expect anything. I said that a properly specd cam is going to produce more gains that a set of roller rockers on a stock motor.

And you do not have to pull the radiator to do a cam swap

And IMO for a beginner a cam swap would be easier than properly setting up roller rockers.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Without pulling you motor, unless the sixxer is small enough, usually you do have to pull the radiator. Yeah a new cam technically would be better.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Without pulling you motor, unless the sixxer is small enough, usually you do have to pull the radiator. Yeah a new cam technically would be better.
Well you obviously don't know much about working on these motors then.

Yes it is small enough. Cam comes right out without pulling motor or radiator.

New cam in my motor. Block still bolted down to the k.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Tell me, what did I say that was false or incorrect? The fact that rocker arms help? Or that a new coil is better than an old one? Especially an OEM one that they will charge you up the *** for and isn't better than an aftermarket coil. Look man I'm not tellin you you're wrong, I agreed with you on most of your points, but you can't say you're the only one who is right.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tell me, what did I say that was false or incorrect? The fact that rocker arms help? Or that a new coil is better than an old one? Especially an OEM one that they will charge you up the *** for and isn't better than an aftermarket coil. Look man I'm not tellin you you're wrong, I agreed with you on most of your points, but you can't say you're the only one who is right.
Well this one could be subjective to opinion but it's not exactly easier just to swap to roller rockers than say swapping a cam in. Roller rockers are not exact simple to setup.

If your stock coil goes out you can pick up another one at a junkyard for cheap, no need to buy a fancy brand name coil that will work just as fine as a new or used oem one. Im not sure about the msd as I didn't know that they made a coil pack for these cars but the common aftermarket screamon deamon coil pack is known to cause problems and not work properly for very long.

And the fact that the radiator has to be removed or motor pulled for a cam swap.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it would be harder for some people than more experienced people to do rockers, but for myself it would be easier. If you have the right tools and know how, then it would be less time consuming. And if your stock coil went out, why the heck would you buy a junk yard coil? My MSD was only $90. And I believe I said most cars, I did not literally say that our v6s MUST have the radiator removed or the motor pulled. I mentioned these option assuming that not everyone on this forum are completely helpless when it comes to mechanics. So if I can bring up an idea that some with tools a confidence just didn't think about and they want to try it, then what's the big deal? I for one like the pic of your cam swap cuz I've been lookin into it so I got a look at what I'd be into.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

I'm not fighting. He said its a real motor, I was just correcting him
Well I'll find out soon enough.
Buying a 4.2 soon and gonna build it from the block up.
Looking to be about a 2 year project right now

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

But, do a full tune up an maintain regular oil/filter changes etc and your car will run a long long time
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't really fight 6 vs GT, Because at the end of the day, a Shelby smokes us all. So I guess we all have sissy cars
I love all the mustangs. all are known to have a base for big power.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfour

If your stock coil goes out you can pick up another one at a junkyard for cheap, no need to buy a fancy brand name coil that will work just as fine as a new or used oem one. Im not sure about the msd as I didn't know that they made a coil pack for these cars but the common aftermarket screamon deamon coil pack is known to cause problems and not work properly for very long.
I disagree
Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx

I love all the mustangs. all are known to have a base for big power.
+1 we are all sports cars and can whip up on a lot of things, even being like 13 years old lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1 we are all sports cars and can whip up on a lot of things, even being like 13 years old lol
13 years old and still looking good!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

13 years old and still looking good!
For sure, now that's impressive!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Maintain My Ride

Y'all keep it on topic or I'm shutting the b*tch down...the original topic is about fuel cleaner products, and ways to make the car run better WITHOUT modding....not about whether v6 mustangs are slow, or that v8's are "real" motors, or all that b.s.

Thank you

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang