location of spark plugs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to iphonemaster93
location of spark plugs?

I want to know where the spark plugs are because I want to see if it'll make driving the car smoother, can anyone snapshot a picture of where it is in the engine? I'm taking a guess that it's on the driver's side and on the far side (if ur standing at the front of ur car) but I'm not taking chances of screwing something up IF I decide to do something. And also, do I need to switch anything else out in the process of switching to newer spark plugs? Thanks.
iphonemaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Its always good to do a full tune up about every year or so (spark plugs and plug wires) on top of the engine will be a black box with 6 wires coming out those are the plug wires. Follow each to a spark plug on the driver and passenger side of the engine

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: location of spark plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
Its always good to do a full tune up about every year or so (spark plugs and plug wires) on top of the engine will be a black box with 6 wires coming out those are the plug wires. Follow each to a spark plug on the driver and passenger side of the engine
August 7th/8th will be the first full year i've had this car. how hard is it to switch out the spark plugs on the passenger's side? i've read some other forums and apparently it's pretty hard to get to unless u remove the intake tube connecting to the throttle body...it took me like 2 hours just to get the K&N CAI in so i sort of don't want to disconnect it unless I REALLY have to

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

oh and what spark plugs should I go for and what spark plug wires? i'm most definitely gonna get them at my local auto parts store (o'reilly auto parts). I've heard some are for better spark and some just last longer, either or. I like to floor it a lot so which one would be better for my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93

August 7th/8th will be the first full year i've had this car. how hard is it to switch out the spark plugs on the passenger's side? i've read some other forums and apparently it's pretty hard to get to unless u remove the intake tube connecting to the throttle body...it took me like 2 hours just to get the K&N CAI in so i sort of don't want to disconnect it unless I REALLY have to

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

oh and what spark plugs should I go for and what spark plug wires? i'm most definitely gonna get them at my local auto parts store (o'reilly auto parts). I've heard some are for better spark and some just last longer, either or. I like to floor it a lot so which one would be better for my car?
On the pass side it's a must to remove the air intake.. But you can just twist it around and not take it completely out. Motorcraft is always the best. Depending on what your looking for MSD performance.. Ask the guy he will help you out.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

oh ok. what do you mean by MSD performance? what does that stand for?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93
oh ok. what do you mean by MSD performance? what does that stand for?
I believe MSD is the brand name?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i'll see. i gave my auto shop a call this morning and he told me to bring it in next week so he could check on it.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93 View Post
i'll see. i gave my auto shop a call this morning and he told me to bring it in next week so he could check on it.
Should take less than 15min to change spark plugs.
ChrisTorres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

But what about the ones on the passenger's side? I sort of need instructions on how to switch them and also the spark plug wires
Old 06-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you don't know where the plugs are on a motor you probably shouldn't be attempting to change them. But that's just my opinion.

If I were you I would head on down to your local pick n pull and **** around with one of the wrecked mustangs just to get an idea for what you are doing. Then if you screw something up it's no big deal, but then on the other hand a plug swap is so incredibly easy idk even easier is installing a cai.
southfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
The biggest thing is be careful with the #3 plug (passenger side towards the rear of the car) and make sure you don't cross thread it. The k&n intake Is simple enough you should just take it out

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang