CAI bang for buck - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
CAI bang for buck

I recently got my mustang and have been wanting to mod it. I'm only 15 so I don't have a clue what some of the stuff is people are talking about. So I went simple. First I got new headlights. A couple more exterior things and then I got a true dual exhaust with flow master 40s. Now I want to do something under the hood. It seems like a CAI is the way to go. I could pick one up from American muscle at Around 80$ what do y'all think. Is there a better sound and better performance like it claims to achieve? Thanks
Spencerb102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Stop spending money on the car and plan out exactly what you want to do to it and what your long term goals are for it

I bought my mustang when i was 16 and if I had sat down and made a plan I would be thousands of dollars closer to what I want to do with it.

For example you can nickel and dime yourself with bolt one and small visual mods that don't make much of a difference or you can save your money and put a turbo on a stock motor and make over 300 rwhp now this all will require supporting mods but you can get that done a lot sooner if you don't buy things like cold air intakes or throttle bodies and small bolt ons.

Now maybe you don't have any major power plans for the car but that is my advice if you want any kind of power from it.

Just for example when I was 16 I spent around $1200 on a brand new full exhaust system

Longtubes mid pipe flow master catback and a gt rear bumper. Now that all has to come off for the turbo. And i would have been 1/3 or so of the way to laying for the kit.
southfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's good advice put I don't plan on dropping that much money to get a turbo. All I'm want to do in the future is get eibach sportline springs to lower it about 2" and maybe get a CAI. I'm trying to keep it simple and fairly cheap. I don't mind keeping my stang mostly stock. What do you know about CAIs? They any good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
cai dont really add much power bro. the time they really come alive is when u mix it with a tune as well. and even then it will add u maybe 13 horsies or so. ive thought about buying one for mine but i want one mainly just for looks. the cai from AM will look pretty nice under the hood. not bad for the price. but i would go with a good brand intake if im gona wana buy one.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerb102
That's good advice put I don't plan on dropping that much money to get a turbo. All I'm want to do in the future is get eibach sportline springs to lower it about 2" and maybe get a CAI. I'm trying to keep it simple and fairly cheap. I don't mind keeping my stang mostly stock. What do you know about CAIs? They any good
I got the same cai you were talking about and I've never had any problems with it. I say go for it. The cai is a good value in my opinion
1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to iphonemaster93
Re: CAI bang for buck

I used to have the AM CAI installed too but after buying the K&N CAI, I didn't regret spending the $200 or so it. It may sound incredibly expensive but for what it's worth and with a tune, it's better than spending $70 for the AM CAI. Again, just my personal opinion. Sorta sucks how my car has a MAJOR problem and i won't be able to add much power to the car but for right now just the CAI and gears is good enough for me

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfour View Post
Stop spending money on the car and plan out exactly what you want to do to it and what your long term goals are for it

I bought my mustang when i was 16 and if I had sat down and made a plan I would be thousands of dollars closer to what I want to do with it.

For example you can nickel and dime yourself with bolt one and small visual mods that don't make much of a difference or you can save your money and put a turbo on a stock motor and make over 300 rwhp now this all will require supporting mods but you can get that done a lot sooner if you don't buy things like cold air intakes or throttle bodies and small bolt ons.

Now maybe you don't have any major power plans for the car but that is my advice if you want any kind of power from it.

Just for example when I was 16 I spent around $1200 on a brand new full exhaust system

Longtubes mid pipe flow master catback and a gt rear bumper. Now that all has to come off for the turbo. And i would have been 1/3 or so of the way to laying for the kit.
What about for a supercharger? I figure I might end up going with a M112 in the future, since I'm finding that to be the most common on YouTube and next up being the vortech one. Idk much, if not anything, about superchargers but if I were to save up for anything, it would be either one of those. Or would I be better off getting a turbo? My friend told me superchargers last longer than turbos but I don't get why that is
iphonemaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
I find putting thousands of dollars into a v6 for "performance" or even a thousand is pointless.... go for looks and luxury..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay
cai dont really add much power bro. the time they really come alive is when u mix it with a tune as well. and even then it will add u maybe 13 horsies or so. ive thought about buying one for mine but i want one mainly just for looks. the cai from AM will look pretty nice under the hood. not bad for the price. but i would go with a good brand intake if im gona wana buy one.
+1

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1634625024.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	56360

I like the way mine looks.. Performance wise.. You hear the air sucking? Maybe a little more get up and go.. But not really "power"
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

lol I'm more of a performance guy than a looks/luxury guy. i'd rather have my car look completely plain with no appearance mods and have performance mods
Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac

+1

I like the way mine looks.. Performance wise.. You hear the air sucking? Maybe a little more get up and go.. But not really "power"
thats nice right there ^

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1

sweet looking CAI.. Did you buy it that way or custom?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods

sweet looking CAI.. Did you buy it that way or custom?
I bought the cai.. Then decided I wanted red so I bought be connectors.. And my mom does vinyl so then I just made the logos.. So it's petty much custom..

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93
lol I'm more of a performance guy than a looks/luxury guy. i'd rather have my car look completely plain with no appearance mods and have performance mods
Yeah true but you must alway remember performance is expensive when you have a v6
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I wouldn't do too much to the performance of the car because it is a v6, but I understand the want for a little. I would say get the CAI from AM because it will look better, maybe not as much power as K&N. Go with things that improve the looks and maybe a couple bolt on performance. I owned a v6 camaro so I know the want to do something, but being reluctant because it is the base model. Do whatever makes you happy.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony
I wouldn't do too much to the performance of the car because it is a v6, but I understand the want for a little. I would say get the CAI from AM because it will look better, maybe not as much power as K&N. Go with things that improve the looks and maybe a couple bolt on performance. I owned a v6 camaro so I know the want to do something, but being reluctant because it is the base model. Do whatever makes you happy.
Good advice man. Thanks

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

So I decided to get one. Why not? I like AM and have bought from them in the past. I don't want to spend over 150$. I'm either going for the 75$ no brand intake or the 149$ stack racing intake. Any suggestions. Any others I should consider? Thanks for your help
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Good advice man. Thanks

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

So I decided to get one. Why not? I like AM and have bought from them in the past. I don't want to spend over 150$. I'm either going for the 75$ no brand intake or the 149$ stack racing intake. Any suggestions. Any others I should consider? Thanks for your help
I bought mine of eBay exact same as AM fe 54$ just a thought then got a k&n filter for it
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I bought mine of eBay exact same as AM fe 54$ just a thought then got a k&n filter for it
Ooo that sounds intriguing. What was it the exact same as? Fe?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Ooo that sounds intriguing. What was it the exact same as? Fe?
Exact same as the one off AM for 54$
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

stack racing isn't street legal though. the only reason why i switched from AM to K&N is because K&N is street legal or else i would have went with SR too (for some reason it's a pain for me to put the stock CAI back)

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
LOL thank u for understanding, yeah i agree, a couple of bolt ons. for my ultimate goal i wanted to go passed 200 hp but i guess that's not gonna happen without a supercharger of any sort but for now, the amount of hp i have is good enough.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that seems like the best bet. I found an "L3 performance" CAI for $37 so I'll buy that an a K&N filter. Thanks for the help
Old 06-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93 View Post
stack racing isn't street legal though. the only reason why i switched from AM to K&N is because K&N is street legal or else i would have went with SR too (for some reason it's a pain for me to put the stock CAI back)[COLOR="Silver"]
And how exactly is the SR CAI from AM not street legal?

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

There's no CARB # in the item description. Check out both K&N CAI and SR CAI on AM's website and u'll see that SR doesn't have a CARB # and K&N does
Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

sadly they really do nothing for 94-04.... they help a bit but just not very much at all
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93 View Post
There's no CARB # in the item description. Check out both K&N CAI and SR CAI on AM's website and u'll see that SR doesn't have a CARB # and K&N does
ok, does that mean that SR doesnt have one because they didnt list it?

LCMC Member
Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, i emailed AM about it and they said that if it doesn't have a CARB #, that means that it's not street legal so i went with K&N instead
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

ok then, good to know. thanks

LCMC Member
Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I find putting thousands of dollars into a v6 for "performance" or even a thousand is pointless.... go for looks and luxury..
NAILED IT!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai