contemplating the spray again - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

View Poll Results: would you throw nitrous on a higher mileage car
yes 9 56.25%
no 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

contemplating the spray again

would you throw a 75 shot on an 04 v6 mustang w/ 89,6xx miles on it? about 80-90% of those miles being highway miles
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Re: contemplating the spray again

DO IT!

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab

DO IT!
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont stop there, spray 150 dont be a wuss.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
dont stop there, spray 150 dont be a wuss.
+1...if you're going to do it...do it all the way. don't be a puss like a certain inbred we know and only spray 75 so you can talk trash.....go big or go home.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Do It !! You need a new motor anyway

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Since everyone in here has said yes...who are the no's and why are you saying no?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

I said no because I don't like nitrous...IF used properly, it can be very safe and be a quick soure of power if and when it's needed...that is a big "if"...Unless you are going to be doing lots and lots of track/strip duty, my guess is that there really is no need for it, and there really is no "safe" way to use nitrous on the street...Plus i just don't like nitrous...To me is a "cheap" way of cutting corners to get power...
I say go get a super/turbo-charger or leave it completely N/A...
(and don't start a discussion over semantics about whether or not nitrous is F/I or N/A)...I just am not a fan of nitrous and it's too easy to screw up, especially for someone who probably hasn't and won't use it regularly...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I'm not a nitrous fan myself....have contemplated it for those special times...or for just a little extra if I run into a big dawg...

Every few months Kyle thinks about a power adder of some sort. Kind of like me and my plans for my car changing just about every couple hours.

But, if he wants spray...spray the house down, don't short change it. Otherwise, it really isn't worth the cost of the kit and the constant bottle filling due to the amount of times you race (Kyle...) nor the phone calls and/or PM's I'll get about a weird noise after spraying.

So...I say spray it...but just realize, it may mean you need to come up with that money for the motor much sooner than you expect/plan to.

EDIT: And plus 1 on the tune....but him and I can talk offline about that.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

DO IT! Though I happen to agree with Y2E0L0L5OGWT myself. He brings up a good point ...
but, men are men ... we're all hard headed, tell me it's a bad idea to paint my car pink and I'll do it just because i'm a male...so...

DO IT!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I'm not a nitrous fan myself....have contemplated it for those special times...or for just a little extra if I run into a big dawg...

Every few months Kyle thinks about a power adder of some sort. Kind of like me and my plans for my car changing just about every couple hours.

But, if he wants spray...spray the house down, don't short change it. Otherwise, it really isn't worth the cost of the kit and the constant bottle filling due to the amount of times you race (Kyle...) nor the phone calls and/or PM's I'll get about a weird noise after spraying.

So...I say spray it...but just realize, it may mean you need to come up with that money for the motor much sooner than you expect/plan to.

EDIT: And plus 1 on the tune....but him and I can talk offline about that.
i dont care if its considered cheating to some or not to others. i am just concerned about reliability. i now it will decline some, but how much will it is the question. i wont do it if the motor will give out after 5k miles. everything runs fine now as it is and MUST for the next year and a half. i really cant afford a motor swap while still in school.

and the biggest safe shot i can put is a 75 shot............100 is pushing the limits from what i heard

what brought this back up was something i read on another mustang forum. one guy blew something in his motor while spraying in a race......he had 138k miles on his car when this happened. he pulled codes that said that the #1 cylinder was ****ed up and something about the #2 as well. basically only running on 5 cylinders...........but from what i gather it was not something as bad as him melting a piston
Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

but it may melt your piston.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

A 75 shot is not worth the risk of a problem. The amount of risk is directly related to how often you spray. If you only spray once or twice a month, then you should have no problem with reliability.

However, if you spray every time you race someone on the street...the odds of bad stuff go up.

With a good, reliable, tune, it should be no problem and no breakages for the next year, year and a half, if you can keep your finger off the button and only use it a couple times a month. But if you are going through 2-3 15 lb bottles a week, then it will see problems I'm sure.

But 75, just doesn't seem worth the 40-50 hp you will gain. Keep in mind, many shots are rated at the crank, not the wheels. Also keep in mind, the kit Cody sells is rated at the wheels for gain, not the crank....so it is really a 100ish shot for 75 rwhp.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
A 75 shot is not worth the risk of a problem. The amount of risk is directly related to how often you spray. If you only spray once or twice a month, then you should have no problem with reliability.

However, if you spray every time you race someone on the street...the odds of bad stuff go up.

With a good, reliable, tune, it should be no problem and no breakages for the next year, year and a half, if you can keep your finger off the button and only use it a couple times a month. But if you are going through 2-3 15 lb bottles a week, then it will see problems I'm sure.

But 75, just doesn't seem worth the 40-50 hp you will gain. Keep in mind, many shots are rated at the crank, not the wheels. Also keep in mind, the kit Cody sells is rated at the wheels for gain, not the crank....so it is really a 100ish shot for 75 rwhp.

well i will probably----no, i will spray more than once or twice a month maybe not everytime i run someone.......but if its someone worth spraying against i will.

and also i'll probably do it more when its first installed (if i get it) b/c of the factor that will come with it........
Old 02-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

See, that's my fear with you...I know how you like to race...and I know how I would be with NAWS freshly installed....I'm go through a bottle a day I'm sure.

Louis has had 125 or 150 shot on his GT for a good while now. He hasn't blown anything up on his stock internals yet. But, he only sprays at the track really...so it makes it more reliable that way.

It is going to take some self control to hold off....or else you may melt a piston or fling a rod or two you first couple weeks.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

let me know how it works out.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
See, that's my fear with you...I know how you like to race...
Exactly !! I think the first thing Kyle said to me at the meet was "wanna race"
Hell he's was trying to race the car Brent was taking pictures from

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 02-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

hahahaha, that's awesome!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Exactly !! I think the first thing Kyle said to me at the meet was "wanna race"
Hell he's was trying to race the car Brent was taking pictures from
actually i think it went like this:
"hey, i'm kyle."
"hey, i'm herb."
"wanna race?"

i joke around alot............i always ask that. a couple hrs ago i was at my buddy's shop and a guy pulled up with a gt. he started talking to cody and then after they talked i asked him what he had and he said it was "bone stock, well just an exhaust and its lowered." right after that i followed up with "wanna race?"

i'm just joking around most of the time...........unless you do really wanna race :drive:
Old 02-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

haha, kyle, you crack me up.. I have a friend like that. That's how we met ... he followed me home in his Mustang GT.... I got out of car, he got out of his ... "hi, i'm Jesse" hi ... "I'm Adam" .... "So Adam, wanna race?" ... "yep" and best friends where made.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumab View Post
haha, kyle, you crack me up.. I have a friend like that. That's how we met ... he followed me home in his Mustang GT.... I got out of car, he got out of his ... "hi, i'm Jesse" hi ... "I'm Adam" .... "So Adam, wanna race?" ... "yep" and best friends where made.
Kyle will racing anything on wheels....and has. And yes, including a skooter one day.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
actually i think it went like this:
"hey, i'm kyle."
"hey, i'm herb."
"wanna race?"

i joke around alot............i always ask that. a couple hrs ago i was at my buddy's shop and a guy pulled up with a gt. he started talking to cody and then after they talked i asked him what he had and he said it was "bone stock, well just an exhaust and its lowered." right after that i followed up with "wanna race?"

i'm just joking around most of the time...........unless you do really wanna race :drive:
Actually the first thing you said to me !!!@ I won't posted, it still scares me

Quote:
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i voted no because...

it might be a costly investment. sure, everything might be fine, but there is still a risk involved and i wouldnt do it unless you could afford the possible consequences.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

I said DO IT!!

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

lol, well, rydog has spoken ... You have your answer.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
i wont do it if the motor will give out after 5k miles. everything runs fine now as it is and MUST for the next year and a half. i really cant afford a motor swap while still in school.
If you can't take the chance the wait until you can. You never know what will or can happen.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I say DO IT!!!!! (but then again I will would throw Nitrous on my mower if the wife would let me!!)

I had a kit on mine and trust me when I say I know what can go wrong, but it still so much fun!
New Baby:
1989 5.0 5spd Great plans for this monster!
afinley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #28

Just to drive it everyday...hell no
For the track...hell yes...only 150
LBOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

nike said it best ... "just do it"
Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Kyle I thought about it awhile back. Looked into it. I was comfortable doing a 75 shot on mine at 58k miles. Since your auto it's a little safer if you ask me cause you can't miss a shift.

Just get a toggle to turn it on, a window switch, and a WOT switch, get it tuned perfect, and use it only when you need it.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

yep, so .. do it.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh View Post
and use it only when you need it.

i have a feeling that my definition of this and yours vary..........greatly.

see, if i get it, one of two things would happen:
-i get it and spray most every time i run someone
-i get scared and never spray
Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

What you should do is save it for when you need to pull past someone. Let your car run and beat the little kids, but when the big boys step up to prove you slow they won't even know that you have it and you pull on them in the last 1/2 of the race.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #34

do it and race me
CBMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

me too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang