Clutch sticking to Pressure Plate??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Clutch sticking to Pressure Plate???

I have heard of this, but have never experienced it. That is until last night that I know of, not sure its what happened, you guys tell me.....

I started on a 39 mile trip in my truck to see my girl friend. Got most of the way there, got off at a busy off ramp with a stop light at the end of the ramp. Traffic was barely moving, as a result I had to use my clutch a lot at the friction point to creep with the traffic flow. got almost to the light and something weird happened, truck refused to go any more, pedal got really hard to push in, engine was still runnng fine, but it wouldn't go, had idiots lined up behind me, put on flashers but they didn't have the sense to go around, they missed like 2 green lights with me sitting there with left arm out the window trying to motion them around, I couldn't get off the road, because they were right up behind me on my bumper, and the only way Ranger was moving was by gravity back down that hill....

Anyhow, finally got them out from behind me, coasted it off the road, someone offered me a ride, got to a pay phone, called Geico towing service. Then took life in hands to walk back to truck. Finally made it back. Managed to push the clutch in far enough to start engine, pumped the pedal several times, this is a hydralic system by the way, just bled it a week or so ago, then it made a weired clunking noise and went in a little further, then it got easy to operate and felt normal again, I put it in gear and got the heck out of there, stopped at a payphone, called and cancelled the tow call.

What do you guys think??? Puzzled unless the clutch did stick to the pressure plate, if this is the case, is my clutch plate in need of replacement? I have almost 75K on the truck, bought it new, original clutch.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
if its hydrolic it may be the problem but usually when the pressure is low from no fluid the petal is soft and wont come up just flops around.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 02:39 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

The hydraulic fluid is full though, first thing I checked. Actually its just brake fluid.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
well then you can look at the mechanism its self and rule out part by part, is it the cable? could be, is it the fork arm possibly miss aligned = hard ot push in? is it the pressure plate its self perhaps, could be the throw out bearing but i doubt that.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:37 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thing is, after it made that noise its operating correctly, so it makes it sort of hard to use the process of elimination to find the malfuncion, because right now there isn't one???
Old 11-08-2003, 07:28 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Nobody else has any ideas on this one?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang