Turbo Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Turbo Help

Found a Turbo on CL this morning for 600
Idk much about turbos, anyone have an input?
What all would I need to work with a 3.8l v6 etc.
Or would it even work?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-298035926.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	56694   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3735291340.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	56695  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3163414490.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	56696   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2574735619.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	56697  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-379539087.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	56698   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2205636326.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	56699  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-807972882.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	56700  
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Anyone
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
ask the person selling it if it will work on a 3.8 mustang
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 295
I really don't know too much about turbos but sound like a good deal
Mustangdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Read up on another google search it says it's good for 4cyl and v6s.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

He said it would work on a 4cyl do idk why it wouldn't on a 6
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
it might work then..do more research on it or ask around on 3.7mustang.com they got alot if sixxers there that are boosted
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay
it might work then..do more research on it or ask around on 3.7mustang.com they got alot if sixxers there that are boosted
I know I'll need new exhaust manis set up for the turbo
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
It would work but you need more then just the turbo It's not a bolt it need custom parts and see how much flow that turbo I would guess It's 55cc since it works on a 4 cyc
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
It would work but you need more then just the turbo It's not a bolt it need custom parts and see how much flow that turbo I would guess It's 55cc since it works on a 4 cyc
Explain? Lol
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Well the size of the turbo is base off a equation on what size is best. Too big of turbo and you have turbo lag. Too small and It's won't spin enough to create power. You need custom hot and cold piping plus depending on psi fuel mods
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
Well the size of the turbo is base off a equation on what size is best. Too big of turbo and you have turbo lag. Too small and It's won't spin enough to create power. You need custom hot and cold piping plus depending on psi fuel mods
As all the stuff was listed, what do u believe it would cost to put together and hook up? And would it be worth it? Is the size a good size?
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
1000-3000 depending on how you find it then about 2000 to install and tune. 3000-5000 but well worth the money some gain as low as 40 HP to about 300
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
1000-3000 depending on how you find it then about 2000 to install and tune. 3000-5000 but well worth the money some gain as low as 40 HP to about 300
The whole kit is for sale for 600, but se
Parts I could use some
I couldn't
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
southfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 106
Lol.

It has v8 headers.

So you would need to buy turbo headers for a v6 mustang, or make them. (they are not exactly easy to find or cheap) or modify the stock headers off of a 94-98 mustang.

I'm sure that the crossover would have to be cut up an basically all re done as its for a v8

So the short and simple version is some of the parts are useless to a essex turbo build.

I would not buy it.

All you would be using would be the intercooler , bov , wg, turbo and gauges.

And the piping would have to be cut and re welded
southfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfour
Lol.

It has v8 headers.

So you would need to buy turbo headers for a v6 mustang, or make them. (they are not exactly easy to find or cheap) or modify the stock headers off of a 94-98 mustang.

I'm sure that the crossover would have to be cut up an basically all re done as its for a v8

So the short and simple version is some of the parts are useless to a essex turbo build.

I would not buy it.

All you would be using would be the intercooler , bov , wg, turbo and gauges.

And the piping would have to be cut and re welded
Ya I noticed those were for a v8 too. Just asking if the kit would work with our bunch of money. As it sounds I might as well buy and S/C

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

With out*
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kingmidas87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 621
For me, any ad that says "my loss is your gain" I try to steer clear of. Bought one of those ads and ended up being broken. I'd just be afraid something is messed up. Another thing to look at is how much is that turbo regularly? I mean if the parts are new and you can identify the stuff being legit and turbo is the way you wanna go then this may start your project.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
For me, any ad that says "my loss is your gain" I try to steer clear of. Bought one of those ads and ended up being broken. I'd just be afraid something is messed up. Another thing to look at is how much is that turbo regularly? I mean if the parts are new and you can identify the stuff being legit and turbo is the way you wanna go then this may start your project.
I found this kit with out a few parts for 600 on another site, I've read the t4 is a good set up for the v6s, but I don't wanna loose my exhaust, so I think I'll stick with a procharger or m112
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kingmidas87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 621
Like southfour said a turbo will give you power more efficiently but a super will give you almost instantaneous boost. For some a super may be easier to work with so I myself would prob go that route anyway. If I go forced i will go super as well. Kenne Bell makes some sick twin screws! I saw this 02 Cobra at the track and he had a Kenne Bell and he was keepin up with vettes and porches but he also had a v8 lol but would still do wonders for our sixxers
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
Like southfour said a turbo will give you power more efficiently but a super will give you almost instantaneous boost. For some a super may be easier to work with so I myself would prob go that route anyway. If I go forced i will go super as well. Kenne Bell makes some sick twin screws! I saw this 02 Cobra at the track and he had a Kenne Bell and he was keepin up with vettes and porches but he also had a v8 lol but would still do wonders for our sixxers
Only problem is the only way to cool the m112 is meth, and I don't wanna do that.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Depends on how much boast you want. The guys who run a m112 don't run a lot so you don't need a cooling system
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
Depends on how much boast you want. The guys who run a m112 don't run a lot so you don't need a cooling system
Well I'm looking for 10-15
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
southfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx

Well I'm looking for 10-15
Built or stock bottom end? The bottom range of that will be fine on stock. However I wouldn't run more than 12 on the stock shortblock.
southfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfour

Built or stock bottom end? The bottom range of that will be fine on stock. However I wouldn't run more than 12 on the stock shortblock.
Built, building a 4.2 all forged low compression race crank, custom cam. Getting my parts from SSMS and looking to have it done in about a year, figure stuff out and looking to certain blowers/turbos etc
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
southfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx

Built, building a 4.2 all forged low compression race crank, custom cam. Getting my parts from SSMS and looking to have it done in about a year, figure stuff out and looking to certain blowers/turbos etc
Well if your going all out turbo would be you best bet.
southfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfour

Well if your going all out turbo would be you best bet.
Would the centri procharger not make enough boost?
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 108
Re: Turbo Help

year + builds never happen.

With that being said:
TMA TURBO is the ONLY place you are going to find anything for a v6 mustang. Or the for sale section of 3.7mustang.com or v6power.net maybe mdodedmustangs.com v6 section. If it doesn't specifically say "for a 94-04 v6 mustang" your wasting your money.

Install is always FREE if you do it yourself, its not that hard if you have common sense. Don't have tools? You can buy every tool you need to install a turbo kit from sears (256pc tool chest) and a tap for the oil pan and a drill. Maybe 350$ worth of tools VS 1500$ install cost.

Turbo will beat anything period. M112 will make almost full boost instantly a procharger or a vortech (centri) will not. M112 will still be slower.

anything in the 58-62mm range turbos will work fine. With a SSMS built 4.2 you could run a 67mm turbo and be fine, just expect a bit more lag.
ChrisTorres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTorres08
year + builds never happen.

With that being said:
TMA TURBO is the ONLY place you are going to find anything for a v6 mustang. Or the for sale section of 3.7mustang.com or v6power.net maybe mdodedmustangs.com v6 section. If it doesn't specifically say "for a 94-04 v6 mustang" your wasting your money.

Install is always FREE if you do it yourself, its not that hard if you have common sense. Don't have tools? You can buy every tool you need to install a turbo kit from sears (256pc tool chest) and a tap for the oil pan and a drill. Maybe 350$ worth of tools VS 1500$ install cost.

Turbo will beat anything period. M112 will make almost full boost instantly a procharger or a vortech (centri) will not. M112 will still be slower.

anything in the 58-62mm range turbos will work fine. With a SSMS built 4.2 you could run a 67mm turbo and be fine, just expect a bit more lag.
Cool thanks, may go turbo knowing it isn't hard.
Would he cool to also do a sc maybe do compound boost with the M112 but who knows we will see down the road thanks a bunch for the info totally forgot about tma
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattyp511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 276
Re: Turbo Help

Forget a turbo supercharge it!
mattyp511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kingmidas87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTorres08
year + builds never happen.

With that being said:
TMA TURBO is the ONLY place you are going to find anything for a v6 mustang. Or the for sale section of 3.7mustang.com or v6power.net maybe mdodedmustangs.com v6 section. If it doesn't specifically say "for a 94-04 v6 mustang" your wasting your money.

Install is always FREE if you do it yourself, its not that hard if you have common sense. Don't have tools? You can buy every tool you need to install a turbo kit from sears (256pc tool chest) and a tap for the oil pan and a drill. Maybe 350$ worth of tools VS 1500$ install cost.

Turbo will beat anything period. M112 will make almost full boost instantly a procharger or a vortech (centri) will not. M112 will still be slower.

anything in the 58-62mm range turbos will work fine. With a SSMS built 4.2 you could run a 67mm turbo and be fine, just expect a bit more lag.
Are you saying a turbo is better for our engines or better over all? Cuz it seems turbos suit smaller engines better and superchargers do well bolted on top of a v8
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
southfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 106
Compound boost = no. You will make more power from just a properly sized turbo.

And to the guy that said forget turbos, obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Lol

And yes a supercharger does just fine ontop of a v8 however but turbos are not just for small motors. Some of the fastest mustangs are turbo cars.
southfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 108
Re: Turbo Help

1) I'm saying turbo in general is better. Although a good supercharger setup (such as the 03/04 cobra) feels great romping around town. However you can properly size a single turbo and almost get the same effect.

2) the guy who said forget turbo.... As said before is lacking knowledge.


3) Don't even waste your time trying to compound an m112 and a turbo on these cars.
ChrisTorres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangg2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 654
I agree turbo are a lot of work to put on our sixxers but not impossible .. Honestly I created my own turbo kit .. 94-98 shorty headers reversed them actually cut the y pipe off the sixxers and fabd it up to connect the headers to the turbo .. My turbo came off a 2.3 turbo coupe mustang its was set boost at 5-9 tops didnt want to mess up any thing ..ran the exhaust by the pass side of the engine it splits off into duals as far as cooling I picked up a inter cooler system off a dodge SRT4 neon .. Oil feed and return picked up an adapter that screwed on between oil filter and engine that was designed for the Cougar the lines i chose was the steel woven with aluminum fittings Also have a windstar intake .. that I pulled off a 97 ford windstar fabd up all brackets out of 1/8 inch sheet metal to relocate coil pack and throttle cables so basically if you got the time and money and a but of skill or know someone to feed off that 600 dollar Craigslist kit as long as you don't over boost your stock engine ull do fine with a good tune.. Stock engine can only handle an 11 lb boost max but idk for how long wouldnt even try it tops I ever had mine at was 7 or 8 ... I have a manual dial nothing fancy all cost efficient it was my goal and as long as I owned the car I never had a problem with it but I didn't just try to dog the **** out my 01 .. I sold it and now have a 00 that I plan in doing the same thing to or putting a 5.0 in
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kingmidas87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 621
Does the turbo size depend on the mods you do? Like stock or ported heads and what not. Is there some place that offers a DIY turbo kit? Or is it cheaper to piece it together?

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangg2000
I agree turbo are a lot of work to put on our sixxers but not impossible .. Honestly I created my own turbo kit .. 94-98 shorty headers reversed them actually cut the y pipe off the sixxers and fabd it up to connect the headers to the turbo .. My turbo came off a 2.3 turbo coupe mustang its was set boost at 5-9 tops didnt want to mess up any thing ..ran the exhaust by the pass side of the engine it splits off into duals as far as cooling I picked up a inter cooler system off a dodge SRT4 neon .. Oil feed and return picked up an adapter that screwed on between oil filter and engine that was designed for the Cougar the lines i chose was the steel woven with aluminum fittings Also have a windstar intake .. that I pulled off a 97 ford windstar fabd up all brackets out of 1/8 inch sheet metal to relocate coil pack and throttle cables so basically if you got the time and money and a but of skill or know someone to feed off that 600 dollar Craigslist kit as long as you don't over boost your stock engine ull do fine with a good tune.. Stock engine can only handle an 11 lb boost max but idk for how long wouldnt even try it tops I ever had mine at was 7 or 8 ... I have a manual dial nothing fancy all cost efficient it was my goal and as long as I owned the car I never had a problem with it but I didn't just try to dog the **** out my 01 .. I sold it and now have a 00 that I plan in doing the same thing to or putting a 5.0 in
So how much did that all cost you?
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangg2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 654
To be honest DIY kit cost bout 500 for everything im in and out of body shops and salvage yards on a daily basis for my job so i pick up things from time to time and turbo size not a big deal.. Just know bigger the turbo the more lag you will have the smaller the less .. I have a smaller size Ford OEM turbo it's a Warner IHI turbo..

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Basically ever kit you buy it DIY .. Not that I'm aware of its nice to have P&P heads and intake etc but not a must .. I only pieces mine together for the fun of it and to be shown it can be easily accomplished ...

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

You'll have to upgrade injectors and your fuel pump .. Well it's a good idea to so you get the right mix to maximize your power
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kingmidas87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangg2000
To be honest DIY kit cost bout 500 for everything im in and out of body shops and salvage yards on a daily basis for my job so i pick up things from time to time and turbo size not a big deal.. Just know bigger the turbo the more lag you will have the smaller the less .. I have a smaller size Ford OEM turbo it's a Warner IHI turbo..

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Basically ever kit you buy it DIY .. Not that I'm aware of its nice to have P&P heads and intake etc but not a must .. I only pieces mine together for the fun of it and to be shown it can be easily accomplished ...

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

You'll have to upgrade injectors and your fuel pump .. Well it's a good idea to so you get the right mix to maximize your power
That doesn't sound too bad. Can you make the turbo heads outta the stock 99-04 manifolds? Also did you just get a tune for your computer or what? What lb injectors are you running?
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:09 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.