gas milage? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Re: gas milage?

Clean your MAF and all other sensors.. helped me gain MPG instantly.
whyxitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyxitx
Clean your MAF and all other sensors.. helped me gain MPG instantly.
What other sensors do you mean? I'm all for more gas mileage lol did a trip of around 400 miles yesterday and averaged about 26mpg. I want to be up in Just_John's numbers tho lol
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Oxygen sensor
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87 View Post
What other sensors do you mean? I'm all for more gas mileage lol did a trip of around 400 miles yesterday and averaged about 26mpg. I want to be up in Just_John's numbers tho lol
Windstar and SCT tuner made the most difference, underdrive pulley and exhaust were worth a little too. 15's got better mileage than my new 17's. If I switched back to 15's I'd get back another 1 mpg or so.

Proper inflation, modest acceleration, and a good alignment all help my MPG.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John

Windstar and SCT tuner made the most difference, underdrive pulley and exhaust were worth a little too. 15's got better mileage than my new 17's. If I switched back to 15's I'd get back another 1 mpg or so.

Proper inflation, modest acceleration, and a good alignment all help my MPG.
They call you the mpg man...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
Oxygen sensor
Yeah I'll prob just have to get new ones

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

You think that changing the drag coefficient has a big or small effect on gas mileage? And would lowering the car aid that?
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
In my 99 Cobra I get 22.45 yeah buddy, just did the calculations today. I was at a little under 1/4 with 214 and change miles to the tank. $34.15 to fill up from that point.
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #43

Region: California

18 city 24 hwy. I use 89 chevron.
tom lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87 View Post
Yeah I'll prob just have to get new ones

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

You think that changing the drag coefficient has a big or small effect on gas mileage? And would lowering the car aid that?
If you lower your car 2 inches front and rear your drag will decrease more than you can possibly comprehend.

I had to say that, but you obviously already understand this, otherwise you never would have asked the question. For those unaware, the amount of air tumbling and swirling underneath your car slows you down! Just a 1 inch drop from a stock suspension will make a difference, a 2 inch drop??? HA! slippery like nothing else! It effects MPG, acceleration, top speed, and even handling.

Look at it like this... does NASCAR hug the asphalt? Ummm Yup... they almost scrape the ground in an effort to minimize turbulence under the car.

Want to go further than that? Use clear packaging tape and tape across all of the gaps between body panels, such as hood to fender, fender to door, door to rear quarter panel, rear quarter to trunk lid.

Don't believe me? Try it yourself. As odd as it may be, the gaps between body panels create a LOT of turbulence in the air flow around the car.....

Wheel and tire combinations make a HUGE HUGE difference in performance. Tall wheels with low profile tires may look badass, but in reality they hurt you for everyday driving. I went from stock 15's to P245/45-17's and gained EIGHT POUNDS PER WHEEL! That is a HELL OF A LOT of rotating mass to get moving, and keep moving... doing the wheel/tire swap cost me 1-2 mpg.

If I went back to my 15's with good tires I would be at mid 20's in town and consistently low 30's highway MPG. If my Bullitts from AM didn't look so damn sweet I would swap back to stock...

Side note: went to a funeral today, ran 85-90 mph down (175 miles) and ran 70-75 mph on the way home. I filled up before I left home, and refilled when I got home again. 350 miles took 13.6 gallons (91 octane non-ethanol). That my friends is only 25.7 mpg. Speeding and a mean headwind kick my *** and turned my supergasmileagecar into a "normal" car. I felt like I got kicked in the teeth.............

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang