Big Miles!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #1

Region: Kentucky
Big Miles!!

So today my pony hit 270,000 miles on the original motor. I'd really like to up my gears in the rear and add a couple of mods for more hp but I don't know if I should just buy a rebuild kit for this one (v6) or find a 4.6/5.0 to build from the ground up and go that route. I'm not looking to make it a track car but a decent street car would be nice. I'm just asking for opinions and experiences. All of my suspension is aftermarket and ready for a 5.0 thanks to the previous owner. But I don't know what route to take.
LilDirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
if u can find all the goodies that are meant to go with a v8, and i got the skills to do the swap(or money to spend on a shop) i say go for the v8 swap.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Big Miles!!

V8.....
maldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

1) how long do you plan on keeping the car... realistically?
2) are you in an emissions restrictive area?
3) what is the condition of the body/paint?

These are major things to consider. I personally have a '94 coupe, originally a V6, that I have swapped over to a 5.0l. I found a complete donor '94 GT that had been wrecked to do my swap, which is the only way I would do it. Right now I am dealing with having to find all of the emissions equipment for my car and pray to God it will pass emissions as a V6.. because I didn't take into consideration I have to pass emissions before or even during the swap.

All in all, unless you plan on keeping the car forever, it's not worth it to swap. You can find complete, ready to run single port 3.8l engines for DIRT cheap. Again, just something to consider.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

You'll have to change your front springs if you do swap a V8 in, it'll be a lot heavier than your six. Like "needsomemods" said a donor car is the best way to go for the swap, if not you'll be nit picking little things here and there that you're missing. For instance, you must swap over the brake system (at least the front part) to do it, the V8 uses a hydraboost setup with a smaller housing behind the master cylinder, you won't be able to fit a V8 in there without it and the hydraboost setup works off the steering rack, so that'll have to be swapped over too. It's a pretty big hassle without a complete donor.

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I've got the same mileage, a little bit more but close. I considered the swap. Now my thoughts are a Stage3 powerpack. It'll give me some new internals and horsepower I want, and can live with prior to putting on a blower. -From what I found, and what I wanted, a good V8 swap would be around nine grand done by a top notch shop.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
I've got the same mileage, a little bit more but close. I considered the swap. Now my thoughts are a Stage3 powerpack. It'll give me some new internals and horsepower I want, and can live with prior to putting on a blower. -From what I found, and what I wanted, a good V8 swap would be around nine grand done by a top notch shop.
Geez u can buy a nice Gt for that.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Geez u can buy a nice Gt for that.
That's what the shop told me. BUT.... If you have an affection for a particular car and want to experience that much of a crazy transition/improvement in power, transmission, ect.. while still behind the wheel of what was a V6, It might be worth it.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what the shop told me. BUT.... If you have an affection for a particular car and want to experience that much of a crazy transition/improvement in power, transmission, ect.. while still behind the wheel of what was a V6, It might be worth it.
THIS is exactly why I did my swap.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
True. I mean I've seen suped up Geo metro's and that just dumb to me but I love my car and we've been thu a lot together. I couldnt just sell her, but I could do major upgrades.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang