Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Friend is parting out identical 1997 Mustang, what should I get for repairs?

8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  XXSTEVEO66 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Mustang coupe, and it has over 185k miles on it, with plenty of problems. All seemed lost, but then just recently I found out a coworkers dad is parting his 1997 Mustang out!

I immediately embarked on the 4 hour journey to the location of my savior Mustang to replace as many of the interior panels as I could, as they rattled due to the rough treatment dealt by the previous owner. I picked up both front door panels, the rear side panels (but I couldn't remove the seat belt to get to the upper panels), the driver side mirror, insulation for under and along side of the rear seat, and a replacement passenger side blinker housing.

I drove back that night with a car full of panels, and it began to sink in that there more important things than interior panels that needed fixing/replacing..

Here are some of the things that door panels won't fix:

• The parking brake does not work, I think the line is rusted/broken.
  • The steering wheel shakes when I brake.
  • There is no padding behind any panels except under the back seat.
  • The driver door does not stay open, (does not lock in to open position).
  • The carpeted trunk liner is torn and misshapen.
  • The rear axle had to be re-aligned and the right-rear bearing had to be replaced, now it squeaks.
  • The right side blinker is missing after a small accident. I have a replacement blinker but one of the mounting holes are broken and there are weird bowling pin shaped connections that I think need something else to make fit in the female receptacle as it is to big.
  • The right fender has a fist-sized dent directly behind the blinker.
  • The gasket around the passenger door window is ripped and caulked back together and looks horrible.
  • The steering wheel has a bite sized chunk missing from the outer wheel.
  • The Air Conditioning control has limited functionality, I can adjust fan speed and temperature, but third control dial for vents and AC (floor, vent, windshield, AC, MAX AC, OFF) only works for shutting it off. Other than being off, only the windshield gets air, no air blows out of the front vents or floor, (although you can feel it get cold, it doesn't blow out).

After this revelation, I almost turned around and went back for more parts, but then I had another revelation.. Even if I did turn around and go back, I wouldn't know what to grab to fix these problems! Replacing the dial on the air conditioner control might not fix the problem, and the dial is the only part of the AC that I am familiar enough with to recognize as being part of the AC unit.

If anyone knows what parts might help me fix any of these problems, please let me know, because he is parting it out fast and I don't want to miss snagging a near-free repair if I can help it.

If you don't know how to fix any of the problems I listed, just please post something you thing could be getting worn down after 185k+ miles, its an old car.

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks a bunch! I just spent 10 min reading the thread and trying to understand the diagram, but it looks like hieroglyphics to me, there isn't one thing there that I can recognize as being a car part.

I could probably just replace the whole AC unit if that would fix it, and I will definitely check out that link to the other forum that I just noticed while typing this LOL!

I really want to know what parts I need from this guy before they are gone!

Anyone?

#10 ·
Shaking steering wheel sounds like a warped rotor..but those you're better off just buying new ones or having them cut rather then guessing if his are still good...
Short of taking the whole motor or trans I would pop the hood and see if he has any boltons that you could use..I also think head/tail lights are always good to have.

#12 ·
Things like cai (cold air intake) under drive pulleys,headers,strut tower brace,msd (or other brand) ignition..basically aftermarket stuff that just requires little work and free up a couple hp..if you're really lucky aftermarket upper lower intake and heads,but those require a bit of work to install and are more if you're looking to get more power out of you're car..
If you took a pic of under the hood I mat be able to decipher if it's been modified at all..

#14 ·
Fourloko530 said:
If I drive down the road and my tires start to shake a lil what it means
It may be a good idea to start your own thread on this so as to not highjack this one..
But it could be that your rims aren't balanced properly ie the litte weights they add to the rim..or if under braking and you feel a ”pulse” could be bad rotors as I mentioned in this thread for the op..either of these you would notice the vibration would be faster if you're driving faster and of couse slow as you decelerate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.