How to flush my radiator - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
How to flush my radiator

Have to change my water pump, but I also wanna flush my coolant and add new radiator fluid. I will use peak 50/50 predilluted radiator fluid. I need some steps on how to do this. And do I just flush, remove old water pump then add new radiator fluid? Need details and steps
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Road Trip!

I did it... Always do it myself....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
so how did u do it ?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Road Trip!

1.) Flushed the system. Unscrewed the drainplug, opened the radiator cap. Drained the old coolant in the oil drain pan I have from advance auto. Screw on the drainplug refilled with water, added flush prestone, and filled with water ran system for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Let motor cool. Open the cap drain the water and flush. Put the old coolant in an extra container and dispose in a respectful way, I labeled old coolant.
2.) water pump removal; disconnect both upper and lower hoses (I replaced mine with new ones.) take the drive belt off. You will need a powersteering pump pulley remover as the bracket that connects to the water pump. Then remove the pulley off power steering remove the bracket from powersteering connecting to the water pump. Remove the four bolts on water pump pulley, remove pulley. Observe all nuts and bolts on the water pump... You can number them if you'd like. Remove the actual water pump. Scrape off the old gasket really, really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used a window scraper they use when they take off your brake tag and a chiezel scraper, and some sand paper. The newer pump was 55$ and came with the paper gasket get some silicone sealant. Put a dab of sealant on your thumb and rub the sealant with your index and thumb and apply on both sides of paper gasket. Put the water pump on after you installed the gasket. The top pressure realease valve thing put that in the pump, it'll be hard just ease it on in, I used oil from my dip stick the rubber o ring was still good so I reused it. Put all bolts and nuts to recommended tq in Haynes magazine. Reinstall the the bracket from the powersteering pump and reinstall it's pulley. Install your water pump pulley with the 4 bolts till lock washer lock. Install the belt and connect the upper and lower hoses. Water pump install complete.
3.) screw the drain plug back in on the radiator I used the prestone super radiator cleaner to flush it all out again, ran the car for 6 hours. Drained the radiator again, then put in water into the radiator again, ran the motor 10 minutes after it reached normal temperature with heater on high. Turned the car off let it cool, then drained.
4.) refilled with peak 50/50 green took 3 bottles of coolant. The car calls for 11.8 qt. And the car runs great.

******Question should I use the additive they have from royal purple that keeps the motor running cooler????
Old 07-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
+1 to this thread helpful I needed to flush my radiator

I was looking at some additives it would help out a lot I do long drives daily

Hav·oc/ˈhavək/
Noun: Widespread destruction.
Verb: Lay waste to; devastate.

2000- V6 First Stang
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Road Trip!

When you flush out the system, run a hose through the radiator cap to help get everything out the radiator. And let it drain, forced water will get everything out.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

It's simple a two year old can do it...
Old 07-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: How to flush my radiator

This chit really, really does work. It's over 100 degrees again today. This stuff works! I hope you need and try it because its fantastic. I watched Shelby Racing using it and followed their instructions, I used 2 bottles with fresh fluid. congrats on the hard work again blackedout!
Lucas Mustang Super Coolant Additive 10640 - Free Shipping!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
This chit really, really does work. It's over 100 degrees again today. This stuff works! I hope you need and try it because its fantastic. I watched Shelby Racing using it and followed their instructions, I used 2 bottles with fresh fluid. congrats on the hard work again blackedout!
Thanks Mr. Robb15033

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Was the intake manifold cooler to the touch?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Ok I'm putting the new coolant in.... What do I do do I even need to open the vent plug while putting the new coolant in? And do I need the car running in order to put the new coolant in?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Now I'm reading in my Haynes magazine that you could drain from the bottom of the block they have a drain plug on two sides of the block.... So aggravated I just did all this work for nothing...
Old 07-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Friend of mine said don't even worry about draining from the block. So no worries
Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
While your topping it off have the car running because there will be air pockets and the thermostat needs to open to start circulating coolant then finish topping it off..not sure of your setup but sometimes there are bleeder screws to get the air out they would be at the highest point of the coolant flow but you might not need to..and you may not have one as the rad cap might be the highest point.
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

FYI- If you have to ever remove/replace thermostat. They have relief holes & have to be installed with hole at 12:00 top, ect...180 Degree Thermostat in a 3.8L V6 Mustang
The pictures in above link also show the vent plug you have to remove when adding coolant. Remove plug, squeeze lower and upper radiator hoses to get air out. Run engine when cool and fill to top of vent plug hole. That's how you get rid of air pockets and maintain proper pressure.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
Thanks Mr. Robb15033

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Was the intake manifold cooler to the touch?
Entire engine is cooler. Used to be that on 100+ degree days with AC Max running, my engine temp would rise to 3/4 on gauge occasionally. That's not bad, and it's normal but I prefer the temp gauge peg out at half way and stay there as if it was a 70 degree day, know what I mean?? It barely reaches 1/2 way on temp gauge and stays there in traffic & highway. Water Wetter and others never, ever did anything for me before. This stuff worked.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
FYI- If you have to ever remove/replace thermostat. They have relief holes & have to be installed with hole at 12:00 top, ect...180 Degree Thermostat in a 3.8L V6 Mustang
The pictures in above link also show the vent plug you have to remove when adding coolant. Remove plug, squeeze lower and upper radiator hoses to get air out. Run engine when cool and fill to top of vent plug hole. That's how you get rid of air pockets and maintain proper pressure.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Entire engine is cooler. Used to be that on 100+ degree days with AC Max running, my engine temp would rise to 3/4 on gauge occasionally. That's not bad, and it's normal but I prefer the temp gauge peg out at half way and stay there as if it was a 70 degree day, know what I mean?? It barely reaches 1/2 way on temp gauge and stays there in traffic & highway. Water Wetter and others never, ever did anything for me before. This stuff worked.
When I changed my thermostat I didn't look at what temperature it was, or look at it to see if it even had a hole..
Old 07-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

They do not come with one, you have to drill it in and place it back in at 12 o'clock center. You probably were given 190 degree stat. I'm using a 180 degree stat. Works great. Fan still comes on at same temps as before, just gets a bit cooler when on open highway.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
Road Trip!

I have a 195....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang