OMFG I am mad as **** ! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
OMFG I am mad as **** !

So...

I mentioned in a thread or two that my throwout bearing was almost dead and that my clutch was slipping... I ordered a new OEM LuK Clutch kit and had it installed tonight/this morning.

4:00 a.m. I am half way home I stopped at a stop sign and heard this horrendous growl/rattle/grinding noise...... I am flipping out, swearing so badly I think I invented a whole new language.... I called my buddy that installed the clutch kit for me and he listened to it through my phone....

I turned around, met him at the shop, put the car on the hoist and we listened....

What do you suppose it was? Random wild guess? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Ok, so.... it was this:

My right hand Magnaflow High Flow cat that was part of this piece of crap overpriced, ill fitting, poorly bent, 99-04 MUSTANG V6 EXHAUST X-PIPE W/ CATS has fallen apart inside the housing.

9 months and around 6,000 miles this thing decides to fragment and crumble for no reason. I have not bottomed out harshly, I have not scraped the ground to an excessive degree... From the bottom side the cat looks fine.

Now what? I gotta buy a new cat for my car? I sent Mandrel Exhaust an email explaining my predicament and requesting a replacement cat. I offered to send an unlimited amount of photos and video....

I read that Magnaflow offers a 5 year, 25,000 mile warranty on the internals... now all I have to do is figure out a way of doing an exchange that ends up costing me less than buying a new cat out of my own pocket.
(yeah, I know.... good luck sucker....)

Anyway, I feel like I am preparing for battle and ya know, it shouldn't be this way... I shouldn't feel like I am taking on an adversarial role in order to simply return a defective product. But we all know that is the way it is going to be, and it is going to suck... I will get NO support, I will get an endless list of excuses as to why it is my fault, and it will cost me a pile of cash.

(insert long string of newly invented profanities)

John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If its a defective part magna flow should replace it , if they don't I would just cut the cats off and get a set of mil elimanators
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: OMFG I am mad as **** !

BAMA already disabled my rear O2 sensors in my tunes... I can simply chop them out without a noticeable difference. I wanted them in there because I wanted to be quieter than most other people...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

I seen cats on eBay for $50 each. I'm going to get 2 in a month or two. They have some that's 60 too. Take a look. $100 ain't bad for 2 cats.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
AM has a set of slp high flow cats that are 200 for a pair I believe. I had them on my 2000 six and they sounded great. At idle it was a nice quiet rumble that sounded very much like a gt. at stoplights I had countless people ask me if it was a gt
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Im probably just gonna hollow mine out and out spark plug defoulers in them to pass emissions
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Spark plug defoulers?
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12 View Post
Spark plug defoulers?
Spark plug defoulers are adapters that screw onto the spark plug and then screw into the cylinder head. The idea is that it sets the spark plug outside the combustion chamber a bit. If you have bad rings, or bad valve guides your plugs can get fouled from excessive oil accumulation.

They are also the same threads that an O2 sensor uses. By inserting a defouler onto the O2 sensor it pulls the sensor back out of the exhaust stream thereby altering the signal that the sensor sends to the computer.

Many times (but not always) it will alter the signal enough to fool the computer into believing that you have cats when you don't.

At least this is the way it was explained to me................. never tried it myself though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang