cats - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: South Dakota
Posts: 12
cats

Do we need cats on the cars or does it throw an error code if we delete them?
Fordlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mike SVOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 140
Re: cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover View Post
Do we need cats on the cars or does it throw an error code if we delete them?
The engine does not 'need' cats to run.
Off road H and X pipes offer them with or without cats, for example.

If you choose to not run cats and have a 4 O2 sensor system/computer, you will probably need the MIL eliminators so your computer doesn't throw the engine checklight after your cat removal.
__________________
1999 3.8 stang
1990 LX - supercharged 351w
1985 turbo 2.3 www.msvorinich.itgo.com
Mike SVOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: cats

We have 2 o2 sensors and 2 o2 monitors...the sensors are the upstreams for the air/fuel mixture...thats another story

The o2 monitors are the downstreams...they will throw a code once your cats are removed...they are there to let the computer know if the cats arent funtioning properly ....ergo remove the cats and the CEL pops on. A tune or mil eliminators can kill this code...or even using spark plug non foulers has been known to keep the light iff to pass emission. Now as for needing cats....the answer is no. In fact your car would do better without them. However the government and its fight against global warming thinks we should clean the air by filtering the exhaust from un burned fuel. If you have emissions youll need to be able to pass visual. I do this by either welding up cat heat shields or using gutted cats. Just two easy ways to pass visual.

Hope thats helps op
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
ForsakenProto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
We have 2 o2 sensors and 2 o2 monitors...the sensors are the upstreams for the air/fuel mixture...thats another story

The o2 monitors are the downstreams...they will throw a code once your cats are removed...they are there to let the computer know if the cats arent funtioning properly ....ergo remove the cats and the CEL pops on. A tune or mil eliminators can kill this code...or even using spark plug non foulers has been known to keep the light iff to pass emission. Now as for needing cats....the answer is no. In fact your car would do better without them. However the government and its fight against global warming thinks we should clean the air by filtering the exhaust from un burned fuel. If you have emissions youll need to be able to pass visual. I do this by either welding up cat heat shields or using gutted cats. Just two easy ways to pass visual.

Hope thats helps op
Haha im glad im not the only one here who knows the spark plug non fouler trick
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dgerow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 502
What is the non fouler trick
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
ForsakenProto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12
What is the non fouler trick
Basically you would remove the mid pipe, use a breaker bar to hollow out the cats, then buy a set of spark plug non foulers for the rear monitors, use a drill bit to drill a hole in the smaller end of the non fouler, put it on the end of the o2 monitor and reinstall it in the mid pipe. If youre unsure of the size non fouler youll need, remove the sensor first and measure it.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto View Post
Basically you would remove the mid pipe, use a breaker bar to hollow out the cats, then buy a set of spark plug non foulers for the rear monitors, use a drill bit to drill a hole in the smaller end of the non fouler, put it on the end of the o2 monitor and reinstall it in the mid pipe. If youre unsure of the size non fouler youll need, remove the sensor first and measure it.
bingo...such an amazing trick. i've seen many dealers do this to cars to resale them lol along with just me wanting to pass emissions
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Just_John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: South Dakota
Posts: 384
Re: cats

this was my reply in another thread just a day or two ago:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12 View Post
Spark plug defoulers?


Spark plug defoulers are adapters that screw onto the spark plug and then screw into the cylinder head. The idea is that it sets the spark plug outside the combustion chamber a bit. If you have bad rings, or bad valve guides your plugs can get fouled from excessive oil accumulation.

They are also the same threads that an O2 sensor uses. By inserting a defouler onto the O2 sensor it pulls the sensor back out of the exhaust stream thereby altering the signal that the sensor sends to the computer.

Many times (but not always) it will alter the signal enough to fool the computer into believing that you have cats when you don't.

At least this is the way it was explained to me................. never tried it myself though.
__________________
01 V6 5 spd
Windstar upper, shorty headers, high-flow catted X, American Thunder catback, SCT Tuner, ASP 25% UDP, FRPP T-Lok
Just_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:19 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.