Need help w/car starting issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Region: Arizona
Need help w/car starting issue

Hi. Here's my prob. I have a 02, base 6cyl 3.8 & it it just died again on me. I can't get it started & the "anti-theft" light keeps blinking. This is the 4th time this has happened in two years. I have a brand new batt, the alt tested perfect, the starter is good. I'm not sure what to do & I'm puzzled that everytime this happens the anti theft light blinks. Has anyone had this prob & knows what I need to do?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Re: Need help w/car starting issue

Need more info

Do you try to start it right away? Does it turn over but won't fire?
Do your gauges drop like a rock or stay on?
Do you have a different key for the car to try (in case its the key at fault)
Do you hear your fuel pump turn on upon trying to start?
Does it have spark when this happens? (pull a plug wire and see if its throwing spark)

1999 3.8 stang
1990 LX - supercharged 351w
1985 turbo 2.3
Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Kansas
Re: Need help w/car starting issue

I have a '97, same thing was happening to me only a lot more often. It finally didn't start. Depending on if it turns over and doesn't start, try taking you intake off and have someone spray brakecleaner into where you intake hooks up and try starting it, if it starts up, then it is possibly the fuel pump, Before replacing the fuel pump, Make sure your getting 12 volts to your fuel pump, if you are not getting 12 volts, it means your fuel pump isn't turning on, if that's the case, Pull out your CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) And get the blueprints to it, find where the fuel pump plugs into, put 12 volts to it, if the fuel pump turns on or pushes out fuel, then you know your CCRM is bad. Also, before checking any of that, CHECK YOUR FUSE BOX. Hope this helps!
-->Our Goverment Sucks<--
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang