Is this car a good deal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Region: New York
Is this car a good deal?

I'm a new driver and I REALLY want a Mustang! I'm just looking for a cheap one right now... Just wondering if this would be worth the buy? Its a v6 auto. I have no experience buying cars, so all advice is welcome, just don't get mean about it! Thanks!

Here's the car: mustang
tehshadowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehshadowz
I'm a new driver and I REALLY want a Mustang! I'm just looking for a cheap one right now... Just wondering if this would be worth the buy? Its a v6 auto. I have no experience buying cars, so all advice is welcome, just don't get mean about it! Thanks!

Tail lights are gay but I'd check it over really really good almost seams to cheap
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehshadowz

Thts what they are roughly running around in my area. Look over it thoroughly and if it all checks out good offer him 3k
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It looks ok but there are no interior or engine bay pics. Go check it out and if you like it then take it to a shop and get it inspected. DONT BUY WITHOUT GETTING A SHOP TO INSPECT IT. Not like an inspection sticker. Tell them to find everything wrong and that you are looking to buy it.

In a v6 auto, make sure it shifts smoothly, no creaks, no crunching, stays at idle without overheating, that all the electronics work (interior, lights, AC), make sure there is no rubbing issues and make sure that it has a clean title. Other than that it seems fair. Get lower on the price though.
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: South Carolina
I have an auto 6 from the same site and I love it, you may want to have it checked out though.
Supersnake04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

Re: Is this car a good deal?

Thanks for the feedback! I was also looking at this car 98 Mustang 'Custom' Any opinions of this car over the other at first glance? I have interior pictures of both cars and they are pretty clean looking. What should I be looking for when going to check out the cars?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I like both of them but the 98 will be much slower but look nicer. The blue one looks good but I'm sure you can get him to lower it to 3000. The red one check over carefully it will be higher miles many problems
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Im sellinf my car for 3500
Fourloko530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourloko530
Im sellinf my car for 3500
What are your mods
Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Cai,msd coils,accell super coils,ngk spark plugs,flow masters,american muscle chip,brand new alternator,brand new fan motor,stereo system ,cobra rims glow gauges custom pedals everything is brand new just got all of it past couple of months and 158000 miles,auto
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cai,msd coils,accell super coils,ngk spark plugs,flow masters,american muscle chip,brand new alternator,brand new fan motor,stereo system ,cobra rims glow gauges custom pedals everything is brand new just got all of it past couple of months and 158000 miles,auto
Not bad for 3,500 I got Mine stock for that price but i had leather seats. With 120,000 miles. Not bad mods a Jmod would make that car a fun driver
Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

How do u do that
Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Online search there a guide somewhere I found but you take off the pan. Take little by little the transmission then when you get the valuebody off open it. Take out spring and drill holes to the specs. Put back together and fluid back in and make a night and day car
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Have u done it
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have u done it
Yes
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How it feel ur time drop
Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How it feel ur time drop
I never taken to race but i feel like it drives ten times better shift faster and don't hang as much. Jmod almost no one has it is a lost mod.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Did it pull harder and was it hard to do
Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did it pull harder and was it hard to do
Well it has more pull in the rpm and not hard but make sure you know everything you need to do. Should take about 3-6 hours to do. Have a friend for help I did mine on my own but it was a pain.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
Go check it out and if you like it then take it to a shop and get it inspected. DONT BUY WITHOUT GETTING A SHOP TO INSPECT IT. Not like an inspection sticker. Tell them to find everything wrong and that you are looking to buy it.
Yeah, what HE SAID! ^^^^^^^^^^^ +100

Even if an inspection costs you $100 out of your pocket it sure beats dropping over $3K on a piece of crap that any worthwhile mechanic would have told you to stay away from....

Just my 2 cents... bought my first car 34 years ago, been ripped off a few times before I learned my lesson...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I would ask $2700 that's how much I got this one for my gf with 148xxx with mach 1 wheels and nice exhaust...do far ive made oil change and got it all 4 tires.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120724_235629.png
Views:	106
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	60768  
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John View Post
Yeah, what HE SAID! ^^^^^^^^^^^ +100

Even if an inspection costs you $100 out of your pocket it sure beats dropping over $3K on a piece of crap that any worthwhile mechanic would have told you to stay away from....

Just my 2 cents... bought my first car 34 years ago, been ripped off a few times before I learned my lesson...
Thanks, but how will that work? Have the owner bring it to a shop? Drive it there? Have someone come to the car? How will that work?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MUSTANG4.0L
I would ask $2700 that's how much I got this one for my gf with 148xxx with mach 1 wheels and nice exhaust...do far ive made oil change and got it all 4 tires.....
What wheels are those I can't find them.
Supersnake04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersnake04

What wheels are those I can't find them.
They came on the 03 -04 mustangs mach 1.... Mines a 2000 v6 & it came with the car

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Make sure the I have to get the transmission mount and the rear main seal form what I'm told done on it
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehshadowz View Post
Thanks, but how will that work? Have the owner bring it to a shop? Drive it there? Have someone come to the car? How will that work?
If the owner of the car won't allow you to have the car inspected at the shop OF YOUR CHOICE then stay away from the car. No one selling a car should be that damned suspicious of a buyer. Offer to have him come along to ensure that you aren't trying to pull some dirty trick on him. Let the seller be aware of what ever problems an independent mechanic finds.

Inspections aren't some devious secret weapon, they are nothing more than a "pre-purchase" insurance policy against you being screwed over in the long run...
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Have you checked it on kbb.com? Good condition is around $3800
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

I'm thinking the same thing as all the other forum members. I would have a shop or mobile mechanic check it out first. If it does check out ok. I would offer them a lower price. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

price is average...car looks clean and i believe it's BAB which is my 2nd favorite blue especially when it's waxed and kept clean. don't cling to the ugly tails or little cosmetic things. take a good look at how the important parts look...test drive it...and find a nice straight non busy road to test the shifts. it's an auto so start at 0 in D..slowly take off and keep going up in speed so you can hear each gear shift...see how it feels. if you have a near by shop ask them to look it over on a lift...look for bottom end damage.

example...back in '07 i went to look at a bright yellow sixxer that looked super clean. while i left my f150 there to be appraised by the dealer (larger dealer not a small town one)

when i took the car on the road i felt a slight wobble in the wheel..i took the car a few miles down the road and saw an exhaust shop...they looked slow so i told them i was thinking about buying the car down the road, and was wanting a custom exhaust if i did. asked them since they were slow if they could pull it on the lift and we could look at setups. they did gladly and when it was up i asked them if i could look at it in more detail while we chatted. i saw a boat load of damage from it being bottomed out A LOT!!! well needless to say even the exhaust guy was against the car. guess i know how the wobble got in the wheel there.

needless to say i didn't buy that car. although by chance i saw the stang that i would buy on the way back to the first lot lol..
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #29

When a post says that the inspection is good for X amount of time, would that mean its ok not to get it inspected while im present?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

You need to be there.

Ex) hey I got the car inspected. Here's a paper I printed. Its all good.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #31

Region: Illinois
Quote:
What kind of AM chip did you get?
Naughydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughydogs

What kind of AM chip did you get?
A chip is the $270? One. It is computer engraved with the tune. Not an electronic tune. You place the chip in the Ecu and it retunes the computer
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #33

Region: Illinois
That's what I thought... I'm really wondering if the tuner would really increase my horsepower and if so, is it worth the money...?
Naughydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughydogs
That's what I thought... I'm really wondering if the tuner would really increase my horsepower and if so, is it worth the money...?
A chip and tuner are the same except a tuner can read diagnostic codes and new tunes cam be emailed. If on a stock car, a cai and tune you will definitely feel some gains. Especially with an auto because you can adjust shift points.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #35

Would a 99 v6 and a 2000 v6 be similar in performance? One faster, or more reliable than the other?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang