Mustang Evolution Forum banner

would this be okay for exhaust?

Tags
exhaust
1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  1slosix 
#1 ·
so i was at a auto dismantling yard today and i came across a mustang GT with a cat back exhaust and some 40s on it all i would need is the h pipe adapter. but on the passenger side the muffler has some dents on it and also where it connects from the muffler to the flow tube towards the front of the car the welding is a little cracked

i wish i could have taken a photo to show you guys maybe ill go back and take some

so my question is is it okay to buy the muffler with the dents and can that crack be re welded? or can that muffler be cut off and replaced with a new one?

#2 ·
if the tail pipes are ok then i'd just unbolt the tails from the mufflers (or cut them off if they were welded to the new mufflers) then buy two mufflers that are in better condition..go to an exhaust shop and tell them to install it all. they'll cut the y pipe off...make some flow tubes and put it all in there

#3 · (Edited)
1slosix said:
if the tail pipes are ok then i'd just unbolt the tails from the mufflers (or cut them off if they were welded to the new mufflers) then buy two mufflers that are in better condition..go to an exhaust shop and tell them to install it all. they'll cut the y pipe off...make some flow tubes and put it all in there
One muffler is in good condition and ones not

So if i cut it off they would still be able to put a new muffler where it was? and if yeah where would be a good point to cut at?

#4 ·
yes they can weld in a new muffler like nothing happened if you cut out the old one...just cut the tail pipes off about 2 inches away from the old muffler. the shop will either be able to expand it there to weld to the new muffler or add in a few inches of tubing to fill the space. simple and easy...if you were near TN i'd just make you a deal on some of the tail pipes i keep down in my garage for those just in case situations lol

#5 ·
1slosix said:
yes they can weld in a new muffler like nothing happened if you cut out the old one...just cut the tail pipes off about 2 inches away from the old muffler. the shop will either be able to expand it there to weld to the new muffler or add in a few inches of tubing to fill the space. simple and easy...if you were near TN i'd just make you a deal on some of the tail pipes i keep down in my garage for those just in case situations lol
Cool sounds good then

Thanks man but im in cali
For this one the pipes are in great condition and are $2.50 per foot of piping and each muffler is $22 i haven't measured it yet but i wanna goback back tomorrow to see

#6 ·
well seeing how most shops charge $50 a tail pipe for new tubing (in TN i can't even imagine the markup in cali) so $2.50 a foot is a great deal on good tubing...the mufflers are decent too if they aren't rusted out on the inside

#7 ·
1slosix said:
well seeing how most shops charge $50 a tail pipe for new tubing (in TN i can't even imagine the markup in cali) so $2.50 a foot is a great deal on good tubing...the mufflers are decent too if they aren't rusted out on the inside
How would you be able to tell if they are rusted out in the inside?

#10 ·
Nevermind imma get the pipes and just the one flowmaster 40 thats in good condition. I just bought my car a while ago and i looked under it for the first time and realized i have a flow master 40 on my single exhaust.... WIN.

All i need is a h pipe and a shop to weld it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.