Side exhaust... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Side exhaust...

So I am planning on putting side exhausts on my 1999 Mustang v6 5-speed, instead of having the stock exhaust hiding under the bumper. I would have a glasspack instead of a muffler(no muffler), what is your guys opinion on this? Because with the muffler it would probably scratch a lot, that's what the guy in a shop that I spoke with said. I spoke with a shop and they said it would be $500 and he would fix the exhaust leak(passenger side). Is there anything I can do to prevent the exhaust leak in the future since it's near the a/c. Tips? Advice?
SHADOWX777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
All I got is word from my brother, he had side cherry bomb exhaust and said its a hella loud, will get you tired,,, this was after telling him I wanted side exhaust .... this was on his 94ish sixxer back in the days

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Get a wrap for it, IMO and put.it.on where the leak is now or when you new it up, even new once again IMO
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch
All I got is word from my brother, he had side cherry bomb exhaust and said its a hella loud, will get you tired,,, this was after telling him I wanted side exhaust .... this was on his 94ish sixxer back in the days
Is the cherry bomb exhaust the only way to go? Cuz i dont want it too loud but not too quiet... But is there anyway to get a decent sound were its not annoying loud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOWX777

Is the cherry bomb exhaust the only way to go? Cuz i dont want it too loud but not too quiet... But is there anyway to get a decent sound were its not annoying loud?
Oh no you can put in what ever you feel, just saying that was my brothers set up,, check out you tube im pretty sure someone has done what you want or even close enough to get a decent thought out of
{Never Enough HP}
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I have, I just wanted to hear some people's opinion on side exhaust, I am not neccessarly talking about the sound but more like benefits from the stock one, and any cons to having a side exhaust instead of the ones going to the back. So there is a way to get side exhaust without it being annoying loud right?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Side exhaust...

you will hate it :/

well at least i did lol...unless you have proper side exhaust skirts you will ding that tubing on everything stock ride height lol. It was too poppy as well for me...here's a clip of it. i had it like this for maybe a month or so then went back to tubing out the back

as for glasspacks....not a big fan but if you're dead set on running a side setup without buying the proper mufflers they'll have to do
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I have, I just wanted to hear some people's opinion on side exhaust, I am not neccessarly talking about the sound but more like benefits from the stock one, and any cons to having a side exhaust instead of the ones going to the back. So there is a way to get side exhaust without it being annoying loud right?
Cons just its right there next to your ear, uuuhh yeah? Wouldn't really know on the annoying loud part. What size do you want the exit pipe after the glass packs?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Idont have a cut out on the sideskirts... The tail pipe would be oval ones like in the picture, but for the pipe idk, what do u think would be best so it doesnt scratch too much(if it's that low)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1358012163.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	61164  
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOWX777 View Post
Idont have a cut out on the sideskirts... The tail pipe would be oval ones like in the picture, but for the pipe idk, what do u think would be best so it doesnt scratch too much(if it's that low)?
that's what i'm saying...unless you buy the skirts made for side exhausts you will scrape everything lol...i know i had to have my hanger re-welded up 2 times during my short time running them lol. thank god im running stock height or else i'd never get in and out of the stores in my town.

if you really want side exhausts look into buying these...if not i just wish you all the luck man

99-04 Mustang ROUSH - Side Skirts - For Side Exhaust - (Urethane) [99BK-RS3-URE-SS] - $389.90 : MrBodykit.com, The Most Diverse Mustang Bodykits and Mustang Aftermarket Parts on the Planet

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

might i add the $500 he quoted you is more then any exhaust i've ever paid for in my life. my side setup ran around $150 including tubing from the cats to the skirts, two hangers, and install
Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So if get them in the running to the back I shouldnt experience any scratching right? And if they go to the back, h-pipe or divorced duals are better for performance, and about how much should it cost estimated or about how much did u guys pay?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

that's what i'm saying...unless you buy the skirts made for side exhausts you will scrape everything lol...i know i had to have my hanger re-welded up 2 times during my short time running them lol. thank god im running stock height or else i'd never get in and out of the stores in my town.

if you really want side exhausts look into buying these...if not i just wish you all the luck man

99-04 Mustang ROUSH - Side Skirts - For Side Exhaust - (Urethane) [99BK-RS3-URE-SS] - $389.90 : MrBodykit.com, The Most Diverse Mustang Bodykits and Mustang Aftermarket Parts on the Planet

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

might i add the $500 he quoted you is more then any exhaust i've ever paid for in my life. my side setup ran around $150 including tubing from the cats to the skirts, two hangers, and install
True on the price, brain malfunction

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote:
I wouldn't know on that part, pipe size wise

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote:
So if get them in the running to the back I shouldnt experience any scratching right? And if they go to the back, h-pipe or divorced duals are better for performance, and about how much should it cost estimated or about how much did u guys pay?
A friend payed 350 from muffler back, with flows and new pipes chrome tips and what not.
I dislike not having personal experience with prices but the babes was already exhausted and the truck I had gotten from my brother some time back he had already done it
{Never Enough HP}
Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just get the side skirts. This is what I have on mine and I love it, and IMO I think it's the best and simplest set up- I got dynomax exhausts with the "in" and "out" (don't know how else to explain it lol) on the same side. On the in-part of the muffler I have it Hooked up to the x-pipe, and obviously the out-pipe is hooked up to the side exit pipe and a tip on the side of it. It sounds great and I love how it sounds in tunnels and stuff.

I don't know if all this is unclear but I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
Just get the side skirts. This is what I have on mine and I love it, and IMO I think it's the best and simplest set up- I got dynomax exhausts with the "in" and "out" (don't know how else to explain it lol) on the same side. On the in-part of the muffler I have it Hooked up to the x-pipe, and obviously the out-pipe is hooked up to the side exit pipe and a tip on the side of it. It sounds great and I love how it sounds in tunnels and stuff.

Lol, i try searching most of what u said, but pictures or vids would be very nice yea side exhausts would look sick and stan out from the mustangs from where I live...
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt View Post

Is this on a v8 or v6? If on a v8 yes a side setup would sound great.

At op you asked on performance. To be honest just about all an exhaust is on a sixxer is a sound upgrade. If you want louder go divorced .....if you want deeper look into an h pipe or prochamber...if you like rasph and poppy the an x pipe.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
You don't want them. They're too low and lots of maintenance and repairs
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust