Just ordered springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Just ordered springs

I just ordered the SR springs from AM
Hopefully they come soon! Not looking forward to the install but oh we'll haha anyone have pics with those actual springs?
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Don't have those springs but the install is easy. I watched and followed a YouTube video
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

Spring install is a super easy job....just have a friend handy
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Depends mine had rust the most important thing is safety don't just force them out.
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
Depends mine had rust the most important thing is safety don't just force them out.
Lol thats how i take them out....i grab the coil with my hand and give it a good pull
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
Spring install is a super easy job....just have a friend handy
The ones I'm worried about are the fronts haha the rears don't look too bad
Do I have to get new cotter pins of can I reuse them??
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
The ones I'm worried about are the fronts haha the rears don't look too bad
Do I have to get new cotter pins of can I reuse them??
Cotter pins? Where are you needing them? Pop the wheel off, unbolt the sway, pop off the caliper after removing two caliper bolts, unbolt the control arm from the shock...pop out the spring and reverse. Or are you trying to remove it a different way?
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
I took the risk other than my arm getting thrown yanking the front spring out nothing else happened. Wasn't that bad after I got the tension off and let the a arm loose... Fun install tho.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
jrmustang02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Rhode Island
Posts: 75
How much would a shop normally charge for the install of lowering springs?
jrmustang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmustang02 View Post
How much would a shop normally charge for the install of lowering springs?
too much when it's so simple to do yourself plus it's a good learning experience and you can really start getting a good feel for the car
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
johnofarch14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Inverness
Region: Illinois
Posts: 285
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmustang02
How much would a shop normally charge for the install of lowering springs?
I paid 160 for labor here in illinois, that was 2yrs ago.
__________________
johnofarch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofarch14

I paid 160 for labor here in illinois, that was 2yrs ago.
400-200 to install spring around me. I spend 40 dollars for a pry bar 5 foot tall to help me with the install
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
jrmustang02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Rhode Island
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom

400-200 to install spring around me. I spend 40 dollars for a pry bar 5 foot tall to help me with the install
So I'm guessing $400 is a typo
jrmustang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

Cotter pins? Where are you needing them? Pop the wheel off, unbolt the sway, pop off the caliper after removing two caliper bolts, unbolt the control arm from the shock...pop out the spring and reverse. Or are you trying to remove it a different way?
Hmm ok haha I thought you had to remove the cotter pins
I guess not
I changed my cv axle on my f150 and had to remove some pins so I assumed it was the same in here but now that I looked at it I was way wrong
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmustang02

So I'm guessing $400 is a typo
Nope it was a mustang shop
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
Hmm ok haha I thought you had to remove the cotter pins
I guess not
I changed my cv axle on my f150 and had to remove some pins so I assumed it was the same in here but now that I looked at it I was way wrong
makes sense....i had an f150 that i slammed back in highschool so i know your pain
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

too much when it's so simple to do yourself plus it's a good learning experience and you can really start getting a good feel for the car
Well it can still be a pain mine had rust and broke off so working on cars isn't easy that what I learned so far
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
Well it can still be a pain mine had rust and broke off so working on cars isn't easy that what I learned so far
may i ask what broke off?
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

may i ask what broke off?
The bottom part of the spring too much rust
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
The bottom part of the spring too much rust
lol good thing you replaced it then
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Looks like my spring isolator is shot too so I gotta go buy those now
It's all ripped in half
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
I didn't use them
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
I didn't use them
I was looking at my friends gt and he didn't have them either
Are they a must have?
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01

I was looking at my friends gt and he didn't have them either
Are they a must have?
They are there for noise. I hear mine but with my music blasting its like there not there
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
Looks like my spring isolator is shot too so I gotta go buy those now
It's all ripped in half
i don't run them...they lower the car 1/4"without them
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
robb15033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 2,109
Re: Just ordered springs

I don't use them either, I sprayed silicone lubricant on top and bottom of each spring one year ago, all squeaks gone.
Post some picks with new springs ASAP.
__________________
'97 3.8L V6
Pacific Green
1996 SVT Cobra White
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
I don't use them either, I sprayed silicone lubricant on top and bottom of each spring one year ago, all squeaks gone.
Post some picks with new springs ASAP.
Maybe I'll try that
Im just worried it'll squeak bad w/o them
I'll get pics as soon as I get them on
There still on their way from AM and I'll have to put them on at school haha
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
robb15033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 2,109
Re: Just ordered springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
Maybe I'll try that
Im just worried it'll squeak bad w/o them
I'll get pics as soon as I get them on
There still on their way from AM and I'll have to put them on at school haha
I remember seeing that set on AM and reading that it's a slight drop. Just remember that if you go any lower, shocks/struts, caster camber plates, and then some, may be needed along with suspension shop work.
__________________
'97 3.8L V6
Pacific Green
1996 SVT Cobra White
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fourloko530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033

I remember seeing that set on AM and reading that it's a slight drop. Just remember that if you go any lower, shocks/struts, caster camber plates, and then some, may be needed along with suspension shop work.
What kind of springs u got
Fourloko530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourloko530

What kind of springs u got
I got the SR lowering springs
Stack racing I believe

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033

I remember seeing that set on AM and reading that it's a slight drop. Just remember that if you go any lower, shocks/struts, caster camber plates, and then some, may be needed along with suspension shop work.
Yeah that's why I wanted a mild drop
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fourloko530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 567
U put em on yet
Fourloko530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourloko530
U put em on yet
Na not yet the estimated delivery date is on Monday
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

won't squeak unless you hit a bad speed bump and the rear shifts a bit thanks to the quad shocks
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
won't squeak unless you hit a bad speed bump and the rear shifts a bit thanks to the quad shocks
I have a ton of speed bumps at the school I go to haha being an auto school a lot of people like to show off
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Just ordered springs

lol then make your exhaust louder...you'll never hear the light squeak
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:23 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.