MPG drop! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Region: Kentucky
MPG drop!

For the past couple of weeks my stang has had horrible gas mileage, and dropped a considerable amount. I was driving around 25 mpg and now its all the way down to 20 on the highway. I dont know if its a bad sensor in my tank or what because when it gets to a quarter of a tank the needle slows from what it was moving. Or i wonder if someone messed with my gas tank somehow. A couple of weeks ago someone vandalized my car with a pink film on my window. Any ideas?!
nick.go90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.go90
For the past couple of weeks my stang has had horrible gas mileage, and dropped a considerable amount. I was driving around 25 mpg and now its all the way down to 20 on the highway. I dont know if its a bad sensor in my tank or what because when it gets to a quarter of a tank the needle slows from what it was moving. Or i wonder if someone messed with my gas tank somehow. A couple of weeks ago someone vandalized my car with a pink film on my window. Any ideas?!
Dump a little bit of seafome in there and grab the fender and mix up the tank..
Run the tank empty completely like run it in you drive wast till you run out.. Then change your fuel filter and make sure your air filter is clean.. If you have the $ plugs and wires won't hurt..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: MPG drop!

Pretty much what the guy above me said...its a good start
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Also may sound stupid but check you tire pressures. I was getting around 19 mpg with my 5spd and sure enough I find out my rear tires were both low on air now I get about 23-24...
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

Well i just got new tires like 2 weeks ago so surely my pressure hasnt changed. And i put stp fuel cleaner stuff in my gas tank but that didnt help at all. I still have to check my air filter and as far as plugs and wires go, no money right now but it more than likely needs it. My main concern was somebody messing with my gas tank when the vandalism happened but idk.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i doubt they did anything that would kill your mpg...now the plugs you can do for less then $15 (autolite copper plugs)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
i doubt they did anything that would kill your mpg...now the plugs you can do for less then $15 (autolite copper plugs)
+1 even if there temporary better to have them clean.. Or at least pull a couple and check but I would defy start with a fuel filter.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

And how are you checking you mpg because going off the gauge isn't even gonna give you a good estaminet.. Because I can drive almost 80 miles before mine drops of F
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Could b temp vs. Fuel quality issue if not tire psi. Ethanol in our fuel kills mpg if not set up to run it
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
So I was wondering... Cars can be set up and tuned to run on e85....so is it possible to make a car setup to run e10? Can you tune a car for it?
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #10

I have just been going by my fuel gauge. Whatever i put in drains quick. I put in 15 and drive about 50 miles and its back to where it started. And the next day, and the next day, same thing. Probly nothing to do with it but could it have anything to do with a bad battery? On my odometer, my mileage is dimly lit, even on the brightest setting, and still works. Sorry i dont know a whole lot about cars, i just love mustangs
Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.go90
I have just been going by my fuel gauge. Whatever i put in drains quick. I put in 15 and drive about 50 miles and its back to where it started. And the next day, and the next day, same thing. Probly nothing to do with it but could it have anything to do with a bad battery? On my odometer, my mileage is dimly lit, even on the brightest setting, and still works. Sorry i dont know a whole lot about cars, i just love mustangs
Fill it drive 100 miles fill it and figure it out..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 08-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Write down the exact mileage shown on your odometer and keep this figure in your vehicle.
Fill your up your gas tank completely.
Next time you need gas, write down the mileage shown on your odometer. Subtract the first mileage reading from the second mileage reading. This represents the number of miles that you traveled since your last fill up.
Fill your up your gas tank completely and write down the number of gallons needed to fill your tank.
Take the number of miles since your last fill up (figured instep 3) and divide this by the number of gallons needed to fill up your tank (from step 4).
This is the number of miles per gallon that your vehicle is getting. Repeat these steps several times to get an average mpg for your car. Remember that highway driving uses less gas than city driving and different levels of ethanol will affect your mpg.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If your saying u put 15.00 dollars in that's less than 3 gallons and u drove 50 miles if that's town I could live with that, mine eats 8 gallons of high test in 110 miles, but it makes 410 rwhp and no u can't set up an sn95 or fox for e85 without finding a different car that came e85 ready n install EVeRYTHING into car
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well there are conversion kits but honestly i dont think there worth it...consider ing your lines arent made for more then 10%...and a conversion kit just trims the levels using your oxygen sensors.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
Write down the exact mileage shown on your odometer and keep this figure in your vehicle.
Fill your up your gas tank completely.
Next time you need gas, write down the mileage shown on your odometer. Subtract the first mileage reading from the second mileage reading. This represents the number of miles that you traveled since your last fill up.
Fill your up your gas tank completely and write down the number of gallons needed to fill your tank.
Take the number of miles since your last fill up (figured instep 3) and divide this by the number of gallons needed to fill up your tank (from step 4).
This is the number of miles per gallon that your vehicle is getting. Repeat these steps several times to get an average mpg for your car. Remember that highway driving uses less gas than city driving and different levels of ethanol will affect your mpg.
Ha +1 I didn't wanna write all that out
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 08-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

My 01... I run 95 octane E-30 for my "93 Race tune" quite frequently because the tech at BAMA that I talked to said that every component in my car was more than capable of handling as much ethanol as I wanted to pour into it.... I trust those guys... Gas mileage sucks pretty bad, but the fun factor more than makes up for it.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

But its glorified corn syrup your putting in your engine, I'm not doing that to my injectors
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Horse
But its glorified corn syrup your putting in your engine, I'm not doing that to my injectors
+1
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Lol i have a friend that runs a 700rwhp tbird on e85...he likes the way it burns. In the end it comes down to if your set up for it properly or not and what you plan to do...just calling it glorified corn syrup just means youce never really dealt with it.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That is true but we don't have any readily available around here so I can't experience it first hand . So forgive my ignorance and thanks for clearing up the rumors I've heard
Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

No problem....ill have to snap some pics of his new setup..its a liquid cooled ysi vorteq....he is looking for the 1000 hp mark
Old 08-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, that is very cool. I'm small fish swimming around at 410 rwhp with my vert, 415 with hatch n good old fairlane not done yet
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Gotta love a fairlane...we have a project one in my friends garage. Trying to take it all to oe and just make it clean.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Not doing oe on mine, got ifs frontend for it n 91 gt motor with aod trans and staying fuel injected

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang