High mileage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
High mileage?

Anyone's Stang have high miles? I'm leaving for school soon and mine has 142,5XX miles. I considered selling mine and got an offer for $5,200. Would it be worth selling it and spending $2,600 by getting a cheap 4 door Honda, Acura, or Mazda that I can drive forever? I've thought about it but my dad would see the change on our insurance policy and be pissed.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
My Cobra has 126,000 Miles and I'm fixing to start college. I don't plan on getting rid of it either. But $5200 is a pretty good offer, sell it and buy a GT! Because you're not going to be happy in a Honda!
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
$5200 sounds like a very strong offer, I don't plan on selling mine when I head off to college, but I'll be tripping 100k around that time and will have lots of life left. I don't know how badly you want to sell it though. I say keep it, but I will never be convinced into driving an econobox any time soon.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Not to break any hearts but a v6 will take a lot more miles then a gt..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
My 00 six has 190,000 stock miles with a completely stock power and drivetrain except duals and a cold air
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: High mileage?

My car has 300K miles on it. You do what you feel is right. If you don't love the Mustang like you love that slick, wet, pu**y cat your girlfriends have, then give it up & move on to something that gets you pumped up and excited to own & drive.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
My car has 300K miles on it. You do what you feel is right. If you don't love the Mustang like you love that slick, wet, pu**y cat your girlfriends have, then give it up & move on to something that gets you pumped up and excited to own & drive.
300k?? Wow! That's what you call HIGH MILEAGE... What major maintnance have you done to your car??? Still your car looks amazing!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Original engine/Transmission- I have replaced/upgraded:
Complete suspension-springs,shocks/struts,strut tower brace,X2 balljoints,bumpsteer kit.
Brakes-calipers, rotors, pads.
Transmission-Stage1 clutch kit & bearings, SPEC flywheel, FRPP 3:73 gears, MGW shifter.
Engine- CAI, underdrive pulleys, 56mm TB, VAP lower intake spacer, ignition coil, Granatelli plug wires, radiator, Dyno tuned by Excessive Motorsport w/SCT X-Cal.
Exhaust-Ceramic longtube headers, hi-flow cats, MAC ProChamber, Flowmaster 10 Series mufflers, Borla tips.
Wheels/Tires- 17X9 Anthracite Bullets up front with Continental Extreme Contact & 17X10.5 in rear with Sumos'.
And then some other things here and there that I have forgotten about. I have always used synthetics for 100% of the fluids & all of the serviceable fluids are fresh.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Quote:
Original engine/Transmission- I have replaced/upgraded:
Complete suspension-springs,shocks/struts,strut tower brace,X2 balljoints,bumpsteer kit.
Brakes-calipers, rotors, pads.
Transmission-Stage1 clutch kit & bearings, SPEC flywheel, FRPP 3:73 gears, MGW shifter.
Engine- CAI, underdrive pulleys, 56mm TB, VAP lower intake spacer, ignition coil, Granatelli plug wires, radiator, Dyno tuned by Excessive Motorsport w/SCT X-Cal.
Exhaust-Ceramic longtube headers, hi-flow cats, MAC ProChamber, Flowmaster 10 Series mufflers, Borla tips.
Wheels/Tires- 17X9 Anthracite Bullets up front with Continental Extreme Contact & 17X10.5 in rear with Sumos'.
And then some other things here and there that I have forgotten about. I have always used synthetics for 100% of the fluids & all of the serviceable fluids are fresh.
How often do you change your oil or every how many miles? That's a good example! Lol! reaching that mileage is rare. And regarding the dyno what's the dyno result with all those mods you have.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
5200$ is a really good offer for a car with 142k. Toyotas are really good but you gotta ask yourself.. Do you sacrifice a quick pretty car for a mom car? It's all up to you. Your trans will go out within the next 25-50k miles most likely. Your motor will last 300k most likely tho lol. 3.8's a good motor but the t45 trans is weak. Even Toyota has problems tho and maintenance. That's all cars.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaYanks4Ev
Anyone's Stang have high miles? I'm leaving for school soon and mine has 142,5XX miles. I considered selling mine and got an offer for $5,200. Would it be worth selling it and spending $2,600 by getting a cheap 4 door Honda, Acura, or Mazda that I can drive forever? I've thought about it but my dad would see the change on our insurance policy and be pissed.
I would take that money.....i bought this one for $2700 in houston with 148xxx miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120805_095822.png
Views:	573
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	62331  
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I sold my 02 v6 manual with 198,400 miles on it. It's stop running strong since I see it around town still. I took 4,200 for mine. I say the 5,200 is a good offer. Upgrade to a 3.7 if possible, js.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i say sell it. i cant even get 4k for mine so just take it.idk about buying a crappy little car though but thats ur decision

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the input guys! If I wasn't on my dads insurance I'd probably go for it, but he'd find out right away and already gives me crap when I mention selling it. My 98 had 165K when I got in my accident and totaled it but it ran fine. The only reason I was considering it is because my orthodontist is in Tulsa and I'll be at school in Missouri at the end of this week. I'll have to go all the way to Tulsa once every two months for my appointments and a little 4cylinder 4 door would be so much better than my 3.8. I'd love to get into a 626, those are still a V6 but they run foreverrrrrrr. I'd be so mad if I get to school and my tranny goes out within a year and I'd have to drop $2,500 into a car I could've sold for twice that.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

How often do you change your oil or every how many miles? That's a good example! Lol! reaching that mileage is rare. And regarding the dyno what's the dyno result with all those mods you have.

I have only used Mobil1 Extened Service 5W-30. Change the oil every 7500 miles or less. Dyno for my single port is 152HP from stock 125HP. Dyno tune & gears help.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have only used Mobil1 Extened Service 5W-30. Change the oil every 7500 miles or less. Dyno for my single port is 152HP from stock 125HP. Dyno tune & gears help.
I've had the car 9 months and it's been changed once. My other cars I've gone by every 3,500 miles. But I bought it in December last year and it had 139,9XX. It's now only at 142,5XX now. The Ford sticker on my windshield says I should bring it in next at 147K but I'm thinking more like 144 haha. I'm so attached to Stangs it would kill to get rid of it but I'd hate taking a 600+ mile (there and back) trip every month from school to Tulsa/home. Maybe I can find a friend at school who will want to go on a road trip if I pay for gas haha. Just hate putting miles on my baby...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
Not to break any hearts but a v6 will take a lot more miles then a gt..
tell that to the guys i know with 200k miles

@OP that's a dang good offer for that car with the mileage. i'd look at some new edge GTs in the 70k mile range and see if you can financially cover it. when i had my '04 GT i got maybe 4mpg less then i do in the sixxer, and insurance was a whopping $10 a month difference. if it wasn't for the fact that my wife can't drive a 5 speed due to her ankle i'd still have it.
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

tell that to the guys i know with 200k miles

@OP that's a dang good offer for that car with the mileage. i'd look at some new edge GTs in the 70k mile range and see if you can financially cover it. when i had my '04 GT i got maybe 4mpg less then i do in the sixxer, and insurance was a whopping $10 a month difference. if it wasn't for the fact that my wife can't drive a 5 speed due to her ankle i'd still have it.
That was coming from the ford dealership and reason being because usually they beat the hell out of gts
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Why... on earth... would the v6 run more miles than a GT? That's just silly. The 4.6 is the same motor used in police vehicles, taxis, etc. 154k here and running strong.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
Why... on earth... would the v6 run more miles than a GT? That's just silly. The 4.6 is the same motor used in police vehicles, taxis, etc. 154k here and running strong.
Have you ever been to a polic auction the vehicals don't ever have much for miles

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Quote:
And I'm not saying all it just a matter of when someone has a gt the drive it like a gt
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Have you ever been to a polic auction the vehicals don't ever have much for miles

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

And I'm not saying all it just a matter of when someone has a gt the drive it like a gt
Again, how silly. The GT motor is more than capable of handling the "GT abuse". Additionally, that argument requires that people abuse their motor and assumes that v6 drivers don't. If this is your stance, it has no grounds. They are both capable motors. Mechanically, there are tons of examples of them going over 150k miles without major repairs. I'm not running down the v6, just not letting misinformation about the GT motor be spread rampant either. There's a reason the 4.6 was used throughout Ford's line-up for so long.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Again, how silly. The GT motor is more than capable of handling the "GT abuse". Additionally, that argument requires that people abuse their motor and assumes that v6 drivers don't. If this is your stance, it has no grounds. They are both capable motors. Mechanically, there are tons of examples of them going over 150k miles without major repairs. I'm not running down the v6, just not letting misinformation about the GT motor be spread rampant either. There's a reason the 4.6 was used throughout Ford's line-up for so long.
Im not arguing with your statements but if I were shopping for a gt I wouldnt ever get one with a lot of miles..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

And I'm not sure about the build of a 4.6 but the 3.8 comes from the factory with hypertonic pistons which are harder than normal pistons. And one of the reasons the 3.8 may hold up to more miles than the v8 is because the v8 is putting out a lot more power and torque which in turn would wear on the components more than a less powered v6 would. That being said any engine can hold up to a lot of miles as long as it is taken care of and maintenanced properly. I've seen 3xx,xxx mile plus volvos and subarus. Maintenance is the biggest key in longevity of a car
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

167K miles on mine and the motor and trans holding up fine.

This weekend I beat the snot out of her for a little while at a warehouse development by me. Nice long straights (top of 3rd gear) and 2nd gear corners.

Nothing fell of.
Mike SVOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yea they can defiantly take a beating but you also prolly keep up on the car good too.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

And the motor, while putting out more hp and torque, is built to stand the increased torque.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

To an extent. All factory components have a chance for premature failure especially due to negligence and lack of maintanence. And let's face it not everyone that owned a stang especially gts take care of them like we would
Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im not arguing with your statements but if I were shopping for a gt I wouldnt ever get one with a lot of miles..
i bought my GT at around 70ish thousand miles...it was a great car for what it was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12 View Post
To an extent. All factory components have a chance for premature failure especially due to negligence and lack of maintanence. And let's face it not everyone that owned a stang especially gts take care of them like we would
i'm sorry but 95% of v6 owners beat the hell out of their cars and don't take care of them. the other 5% end up on forums like this...the same can be said for any car, any make, any engine.

this argument is pointless...both cars can handle power and both cars can handle the mileage...parts fail it happens.

@OP...if the GT you look at is between 75-100k miles and still sound after a full look over go for it if you can afford it
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
+1
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro

+1
Lol. Thread from the dead.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Last year hahah
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #32

i say keep it i have an 02 v-6 with 273,xxx miles and have never replaced more than brakes, plugs, wires, tires and oil, except at about 150,000 the 1 and 3 coils other than that its a great daily driver
H_M_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_M_stang View Post
i say keep it i have an 02 v-6 with 273,xxx miles and have never replaced more than brakes, plugs, wires, tires and oil, except at about 150,000 the 1 and 3 coils other than that its a great daily driver
He probably made his decision considering this thread was started over a year ago lol

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #34

2005 v6

i am thinking of buying a 2005 v6, been taken great care of but it has 160,000 miles on it and im trying to make sure its worth it
tbranham01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

197,xxx miles on my 01 V6

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Iryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang