Overheat - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #1

Region: Oklahoma
Overheat

2004 mustang overheated two times in a year. Replaced thermostat and flushed the radiator. It is my daughters car and I think the fan may not have come on the two times it overheated. The ac started blowing hot and she noticed temp was hot so shut the car off. After car cooled started the car and never got hot again for about a year then randomly did it again. Same result, cooled started and did not get hot. Any ideas are appreciated.
Jimbomac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Check the fan. Eventhough it may seem to be working, the fan motor may be on its way out. My 93 started to run hot last summer. It even ruined the AC compressor from over heating.... Burned up the valves in it... Not enough RPMs from the fan. Put a new motor on it ant it had easily at least 1/3 more air flow maybe 1/2 more. Also see if it comes on consistently. The relay is in the IRCM box, it also may be having issues....
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #3

Region: Oklahoma
Re: Overheat

With it being so rare I didn't think the fan motor would be a problem but will take a look at that. I have also read that the PCM Could be the problem. You referred to the IRCM. When I looked into that the ECM was referenced also. Thanks for the reply.
Jimbomac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I thought the same thing in the motor on mine. I reached down and touched it when it was running and the SOB was hot as a $3 pistol! Internally they can get more resistance as they age. IIRC your may be a brushless design vs. my old 93 though. It may also point to he IRCM, too. I had an intermittent fuel pump relay in mine. When it wouldn't prime, I'd pop the hood and tap the IRCM and it would fire right up. Picked another up at the JY. Just make sure you match the letter that is printed on the sticker to your car. Mine was a J, IIRC that is a common IRCM in Taurus, Mustang, Tbirds and a few others. Not 100% sure how yours is set up though...
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang