tuner engine in my muatang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
tuner engine in my muatang?

I'm trying to decide if it wuld be better to modd my current 3.8 engine in my 1996 base mustang (engines got over 183xxx miles) or if I shuld drop in a j2z twin turboed engine. I'm looking for around 500hp. Any advice would be appreciated. If I keep my 3.8 I will be turboing her and what will I need for that? Thanks all.
morthis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: tuner engine in my muatang?

i've seen a 2jz in a v6 body swap done before and it's a headache you don't want. do a supercoupe swap and enjoy an m90.

if you're planning on the turbo route as well and have to ask what's needed to install one then i reccomend reading more on turbos and how they work before you start buying parts. hope that helps
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Culd u show me a link to the 2jz engine swapped into a 4th gen v6? Cuz my engine is putting out 145hp. And a stock 2jz puts out more like 300. Plus its already twin turboed and ready to go.

Reason I'm asking is cuz I found one with under 50xxxmiles,W/ tranny, turbos,and she's only 2stacks. And my main reason for doing the swap is cuz I think it wuld be cheaper. Corect me if I'm wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32
Culd u show me a link to the 2jz engine swapped into a 4th gen v6? Cuz my engine is putting out 145hp. And a stock 2jz puts out more like 300. Plus its already twin turboed and ready to go.

Reason I'm asking is cuz I found one with under 50xxxmiles,W/ tranny, turbos,and she's only 2stacks. And my main reason for doing the swap is cuz I think it wuld be cheaper. Corect me if I'm wrong.
For that price yes it would. I don't know how long those engines tend to last, but I do know that the internals are built way above what they needed to be so 500 hp without changing internals should work just fine.
If you kept the 3.8 you will have to rebuild it with much stronger internals (I don't know anything about them) because they are heavily used now and straight from the factory there is no way in hell they could hold 500hp.
I'm shocked there is a 2jz going for that price. You will need to do a lot more work than just change the motor and tranny, but it is possible.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

just youtube for it. not hard to find links to the build, but know even if you can get a 2jz for 2k it's gonna cost a ton more to make it work in there. hope that helps you, and wish you luck
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
just youtube for it. not hard to find links to the build, but know even if you can get a 2jz for 2k it's gonna cost a ton more to make it work in there. hope that helps you, and wish you luck
Y wuld it cost me more making it work? What wuldnt work with that engine? Wont the trans bolt up to the rest of the drive train?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

2jz mustang(personal project)
Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
1slosix, have to say your very wise. And helpful.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

i wouldn't say wise at all...i've just seen a few different builds over the years. If the OP has the cash, time, and area to work with. Any swap he wants to do is possible
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
i wouldn't say wise at all...i've just seen a few different builds over the years. If the OP has the cash, time, and area to work with. Any swap he wants to do is possible
^quote of the day.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This guy changed a lot more than he needed too. Such as the breaking system and interior. I'm looking for just straight up swapping the engine and having it bolt up. And from what I'm seeing in my research they have harness adapters for this swap, the ford trans can bolt up to the toyota engine with a conversion bracket, and they make the mounts,etc. So if I'm looking for about 500hp shuld I use my engine which has over 183xxx or shuld I do the swap, and y.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i told you to google chris torres, 2jz swap, v6 mustang...those key words will link you to a straight swap
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
As much as I hate the idea of putting a ricer motor in a mustang, I'd have to say another cheap route for power is a Chevy 5.3 it's not uncommon to find a motor and tranny for 5-700. Their cheap, strong, and a great start
Old 08-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
When ricers ask me what engine I have I always respond "2jz no *****".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang