newbie 2003 mustang questions / issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
newbie 2003 mustang questions / issues

About 8 months ago I purchased my first mustang. It's a 03 v6 with no more that I know of. I had to change the plugs and wires, rotors and pads, and a few other misc. Things when I got it. Since I have had it while driving, at 40 mph it has to shift or it rides weird. I can either let of the gas and the trans will shift, or press gas and at 45 - 50 it will shift. I was just wondering if this is normal or if someone might know the issue, also on the highway above 65 mph it shakes when i let off the gas. Once it drops a few mph it goes away. Not sure what's causing this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
JeremyMc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: newbie 2003 mustang questions / issues

The shifting at 40mph sounds like it has a weird shift point (i'm guessing automatic based off what you said), but the shaking after you let off the gas could possibly be your driveshaft. Normally i've heard driveshafts to shake after someone accelerates hard then lets off the gas, It could be that the previous owner drove the s**t out of the car.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You are right it is a automatic. I'm worried bout the trans because when i got it I forgot to check trans fluid level at dealership and when i finally did it was super low. Anything that can be done about the shift point? And drive shaft sounds expensive. Thanks for the help. I only know enough bout cars to be dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

buy a bottle of lucas automatic trans extender...it might help clean it up a bit, but it may need a full flush and fill with a new filter to see if its shaved off anything
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so sounds like worse case senario I'll be replacing the driveshaft and having work done on the trans. I thank you guys for your input.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

I'd follow thru with what these guys suggested. Also, with that, you can adjust shift points with a handheld tuner, I'd recommend an SCT Excalibrator. you then are capable of not only tunning and adjusting, but read DTCs, and erase them once fixed. with the tunning, you can tune your trans (which I've done btw, highly recommended), shift points, advance or ****** your timing a few degrees in either direction, adjust spark, lean/richen fuel mixture, among many other things.....truely is a valuable asset to have.

With your driveshaft, IF you do end up replacing it.....instead of going to the local salvage yard and getting a stock one, I'd save up a few more dollars and go for an aluminum driveshaft, AmericanMuscle.com has'em for about $250ish, that'll lighten youre load just a smigen and quicken your rotating mass.

Idk man, just food for thought, its on the table.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

sounds like transmission issues..The shaking probably the driveshaft,u joints,,but the transmission also applys bands to slow the car down when you decel,,could be worn and causing vibrations..
Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The shaking sounds like a bad u joint, cheap an easy fix. Prob $10 if you do it yourself. Also make sure the trans mount and cross member are tight.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's funny that you mention the transmission bands to slow the car down. For a while now I have been noticing that taking place at roughly 35 mph and completely forgot about it when I made the post. And I was definitely considering a aluminum just worried bout cost of install since I can't do myself.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Pls bring your car in the shop and let it align, the shaking thing is just a bad alignment........
Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I may get a allignment first before I spend the money on a new drive shaft and replacing it.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
The shaking sounds like a bad u joint, cheap an easy fix. Prob $10 if you do it yourself. Also make sure the trans mount and cross member are tight.
It could be this^

If you take your to a level street or driveway and put it in neutral. Wait a few seconds. With you foot off the brake, move it into reverse, put your foot on the brake. Did it make a clunk sound underneath the car right after it went into gear Do the same thing, but move it into drive. Any clunk? Also, does your car ever make a high pitched squeak or metal on metal noise? These are some signs of a u-joint gone bad.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofarch14
Pls bring your car in the shop and let it align, the shaking thing is just a bad alignment........
I think this ^ alignment would be go to thing, since it's most common.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

I think this ^ alignment would be go to thing, since it's most common.
He said it shakes when he let's off the gas. My moneys on the driveline.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
2003 mustang