3.8 V6 2001 Mustang Exhaust Tips? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Question 3.8 V6 2001 Mustang Exhaust Tips?

I just bought myself a 2001 v6 3.8L mustang a couple weeks ago, and have been looking for an exhaust system for it but i do NOT want to convert it to a dual. Any tips on systems that will give it that deep roar? Links would be appreciated
ColbertJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Nothing is going to give it that deep roar except a dual system. Single exhaust are very quiet. I have a single on my car right now and I can't wait to get a dual. Not only will it sound better it will perform better and look better. I'm not saying you should if you really don't want it. The only thing that could make a single sound better would be catless which is illegal and a flow master muffler. But it will sound kinda high pitched and raspy as a single
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 3.8 V6 2001 Mustang Exhaust Tips?

do a turn down if you dont want tips. A mustang with a single exhaust pipe that is visible just looks BAD so remove it Plus a turn down behind the muffler etc will make it louder.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Region: Kentucky

I have owned many of Fords with a 3.8V6, all with single exhaust, I looked for ways to make it sound meaner like its big brother the 5.0V8, in all my years of trying and all the money I spent on parts and tricks, the only thing I found that would make it sound like it had dual exhaust, was to convert it to dual exhaust.

My current ride is a White 98 Ford Mustang 3.8V6, I have elderbrock headers and a dual exhaust system with dual tips on each side, I have a K&N cold air induction system. its sounds like it has a V8, people ask me what size motor am I running, and when I tell them its a 3.8V6 they say no way, and then I pop the hood and prove it.

The remainder of the car is stock, it has 118,000 miles on it, I get around 20-23mpg on the open road, So i can tell you first hand that the money you save and the horsepower you gain is far worth the money spent to convert.

My next project is to install an under pulley system and to remove the factory throttle body and install a 53mm throttle body.
FearslayerHoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearslayerHoles View Post
I have owned many of Fords with a 3.8V6, all with single exhaust, I looked for ways to make it sound meaner like its big brother the 5.0V8, in all my years of trying and all the money I spent on parts and tricks, the only thing I found that would make it sound like it had dual exhaust, was to convert it to dual exhaust.

My current ride is a White 98 Ford Mustang 3.8V6, I have elderbrock headers and a dual exhaust system with dual tips on each side, I have a K&N cold air induction system. its sounds like it has a V8, people ask me what size motor am I running, and when I tell them its a 3.8V6 they say no way, and then I pop the hood and prove it.

The remainder of the car is stock, it has 118,000 miles on it, I get around 20-23mpg on the open road, So i can tell you first hand that the money you save and the horsepower you gain is far worth the money spent to convert.

My next project is to install an under pulley system and to remove the factory throttle body and install a 53mm throttle body.
please never say it sounds like a v8 again...i can say i'm sure it sounds like a badass v6, but it won't sound like a GT (i've owned both and have had the same exhausts on both for comparison vids). Also i reccomend not wasting the cash on the TB and instead look into a split port swap
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the V6 is even fire and it simply will not ever sound like the 4.6, 5.0 etc just now going to work.

Its very easy to convert to duals but but some just dont want to for what ever reason. A GT take off catback can be useful as well but a fab connection will be needed regardless unless you go "semi" duals where you just bolt up a catback to the Y pipe, many dont see this as true duals.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
why dont u wana make it a dual ? its the best thing u can do to ur car.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a v6 y pipe with a flowmaster 40 with the single pipe on it and it gives it a little deeper roar but nooooothing as close as the duals does on a v6 and far from even sounding like a v8. i say get the duals im getting them soon, the set up i have now came with the car...

I have a video on my set up i have now that i put on youtube

search youtube for the user name elephontsmustang and the video is called 98 mustang with flowmaster 40 and y pipe

Or ill post it later when i get home
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

keep the muffler mellow, when it comes to V6's loud != good not always
Old 08-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

Region: Kentucky
Let me say I'm sorry; to the V8ers, I would never compare a V6 to a V8, I was simply trying to state, that nothing sounds like dual exhaust, except dual exhaust.

In the world of customizing, you should develop your own style and sound for your Mustang.

Thanks for the tip, about not installing the throttle body.
FearslayerHoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearslayerHoles View Post
Let me say I'm sorry; to the V8ers, I would never compare a V6 to a V8, I was simply trying to state, that nothing sounds like dual exhaust, except dual exhaust.

In the world of customizing, you should develop your own style and sound for your Mustang.

Thanks for the tip, about not installing the throttle body.
it's all good...and don't worry i understand the make it your own style thing. i've been trying to figure out the style of my sixxers exhaust for years
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
2001 mustang, exhaust