Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2001 v6 3.8 l. fuel miles low

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  truckdriver0 
#1 ·
Just bought this convertable, 125,000 miles runs like a champ but i want miles not a gas hog.....did full tune-up, new trans oil, fuel injet. Carb clean, k&n air filter, and full syntectic oil change, ok..... Well after all this my gas miles droped even lower, i was getting about 300 miles a tank now its about 270-280... Wondering if there a power chip? Or computer software upgrade? I dunno where to start looking? Help and i run all hwy, on cruse, idle seems fine 600-700 stoped and 2100 rpms at 70mph

#2 ·
1. Are your brakes hanging up?
a. Go for a spirited drive. Come back to your driveway and jack up the car. Spin the wheels to make sure you don't have a caliper hanging up. Press the brake peddle when in the air and turn tires to see if its momentary hangup or not also.

2. O2 sensors
a. Did you change them? Is your tailpipe sooty or kinda clean?

3. Rolling Resistance
a. From a 60mph roll, put the car in neutral. How long does it take to get to 40mph? (others should chime in on this one too so we have a standard)

#6 ·
Driving style hadnt changed, like i said i run all hwy, just take it to work and home, cruse set at 70 most of the time some 65, i fuel at the same pump eveytime i put rhe same amount of fuel 87 oxtane.. should i upgrade? I dunno if theres a chip or tune software added... I do drop mpg on hwy when i do a quick brake never thought of that, i'll look into that but i noticed that its not a dramatic slow down. I had the o2 sencor code thrown a couple times but i havent seen it in about a month, could be something to change also.... Like i said it runs great, i love this car but i could of bought a gt with the same fuel miles...cheaper... With lower miles... Lol.... Anyways thanks guys for looking out.... More info and ideas would be great.. i herd if i disconnect the battery for like 30 mins the cpu would default to normal setting? Is this true? Cause if so i would like to try it to erase any software mods on my cpu!!!!!! O anyone herd of that g-force power chip that they promte on this forum? Would like to give it a shot if it helps get a oil better gas miles and a +60horse power cant hurt either.... Just wondering.....

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Tail pipe is rusty and muffler, and heads, a good amount of air flows though, o ford said that my car is tip top shape for its age, but i dont trust them as far as i can throw them, they said the fuel miles was just ware and tare

#10 ·
truckdriver0 said:
Driving style hadnt changed, like i said i run all hwy, just take it to work and home, cruse set at 70 most of the time some 65, i fuel at the same pump eveytime i put rhe same amount of fuel 87 oxtane.. should i upgrade? I dunno if theres a chip or tune software added... I do drop mpg on hwy when i do a quick brake never thought of that, i'll look into that but i noticed that its not a dramatic slow down. I had the o2 sencor code thrown a couple times but i havent seen it in about a month, could be something to change also.... Like i said it runs great, i love this car but i could of bought a gt with the same fuel miles...cheaper... With lower miles... Lol.... Anyways thanks guys for looking out.... More info and ideas would be great.. i herd if i disconnect the battery for like 30 mins the cpu would default to normal setting? Is this true? Cause if so i would like to try it to erase any software mods on my cpu!!!!!! O anyone herd of that g-force power chip that they promte on this forum? Would like to give it a shot if it helps get a oil better gas miles and a +60horse power cant hurt either.... Just wondering.....

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Tail pipe is rusty and muffler, and heads, a good amount of air flows though, o ford said that my car is tip top shape for its age, but i dont trust them as far as i can throw them, they said the fuel miles was just ware and tare
Those chips are junks and lies. O2 sensors are never bad to change

#16 ·
Mike SVOR said:
Thats good enough. With that much time you're brakes can't be locking up.

Is it running rough?
Does it still have full power when floored?
Its running smooth.... I was looking at older post and and some people get 200 to 350 miles per full tank, my friend has the same stang and he get close to 370-375 a tank so im so confused, should i try a higher octane fuel?

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

truckdriver0 said:
Its running smooth.... I was looking at older post and and some people get 200 to 350 miles per full tank, my friend has the same stang and he get close to 370-375 a tank so im so confused, should i try a higher octane fuel?
She has plenty of power, after all the standard 120,000 mile maintance and full tune up, well the only thing i didnt change the spark plug wires, or coil pack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.