upgrading the engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Montana
Posts: 1
upgrading the engine

Hey this is what I would like to do I have a 1996 mustang 3.8 I bought from my cousin for my daughter she likes the vader body style he had done but would like to have the power as well as the looks. I would like to put in at least a 4.6 or better a 302 want at least to get 300 hp in her, just wondering if anyone knows what extra I would need to do to the springs, struts, steering and or frame to hold the upgraded engine.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dgerow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 502
Struts springs balljoints pretty much whole front suspension and of you put in a 4.6 you'll need to swap k members if it's the 302 I think the k member from the 3.8 will work
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: upgrading the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Hey this is what I would like to do I have a 1996 mustang 3.8 I bought from my cousin for my daughter she likes the vader body style he had done but would like to have the power as well as the looks. I would like to put in at least a 4.6 or better a 302 want at least to get 300 hp in her, just wondering if anyone knows what extra I would need to do to the springs, struts, steering and or frame to hold the upgraded engine.
first i'd ditch the body kit if it was me..but that's just a personal preference. generally a body kit doesn't make it look like it has power...usually makes it look like it's underpowered and probably full of neon


ok to your engine questions. my reccomendation would be to grab a 4.6 out of an sn95 (96-98) and do a pi swap on it. thanks to the compression difference it'll put out probably 260 to the wheels with added bolt ons. more then enough power for your daughter. add in some gears, and some chassis parts and you'll be happy.

hope that helps man...the reason i don't reccomend a new edge 4.6 is because its not the power house most want
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
infamous281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond
Hey this is what I would like to do I have a 1996 mustang 3.8 I bought from my cousin for my daughter she likes the vader body style he had done but would like to have the power as well as the looks. I would like to put in at least a 4.6 or better a 302 want at least to get 300 hp in her, just wondering if anyone knows what extra I would need to do to the springs, struts, steering and or frame to hold the upgraded engine.

Just make it look cool and enjoy the car and when your serious get a real mustang GT
Your going to spend alot of money and chop that v6 up .
Just be patient and save up bro

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

first i'd ditch the body kit if it was me..but that's just a personal preference. generally a body kit doesn't make it look like it has power...usually makes it look like it's underpowered and probably full of neon

ok to your engine questions. my reccomendation would be to grab a 4.6 out of an sn95 (96-98) and do a pi swap on it. thanks to the compression difference it'll put out probably 260 to the wheels with added bolt ons. more then enough power for your daughter. add in some gears, and some chassis parts and you'll be happy.

hope that helps man...the reason i don't reccomend a new edge 4.6 is because its not the power house most want
4.6 engines have alot of problems..
I wish I had a push rod engine fyi
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond
Hey this is what I would like to do I have a 1996 mustang 3.8 I bought from my cousin for my daughter she likes the vader body style he had done but would like to have the power as well as the looks. I would like to put in at least a 4.6 or better a 302 want at least to get 300 hp in her, just wondering if anyone knows what extra I would need to do to the springs, struts, steering and or frame to hold the upgraded engine.
A lot of work to swap but if your handy you can do it. Rear end,motor,upgrade trans. Shocks, brakes,fuel and wires
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: upgrading the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V View Post
Just make it look cool and enjoy the car and when your serious get a real mustang GT
Your going to spend alot of money and chop that v6 up .
Just be patient and save up bro

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------



4.6 engines have alot of problems..
I wish I had a push rod engine fyi
my 4.6 was really reliable...even with all the track time
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:52 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.