mid-high 14's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
mid-high 14's

alright so i have never gone to the track before but i plan on it as soon as i have all of my mods installed on my 02 v6 mustang. i will be running on 18*9 chrome saleens with toyo proxes 4 tires so please take that into acount.
these are the mods:

4.10 gears
posi-trac differential
bbk shorty headers
flowmaster dual exhaust
sct livewire
ported upper intake
65mm throttle body
asp 25% underdrive pulleys
j-mod
tranny cooler
precision industries 3000 stall multi-disc torque converter
intake spacer
mm lca's
and maybe a high flow catted h-pipe

so what do you guys think? should i be able to break into the mid-high 14's with all of these mods?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: mid-high 14's

You are on the right track, the only downside IMO is the auto (even though you have it setup nice). If you can cut 2.1 60ft times and perhaps take a little weight off the car that you dont need (like the super heavy rims) you shouldnt have a problem doing good.

I think the car is capable of doing it it will just be the matter of getting the right day, the right track prep and getting a little experience at the track with the car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

well i think that my question is more of a-is it possible? i need to gain some experience first and pick good times to go to the track as well. ive heard that kyle ran a 15.0 with just a tuner that started off as a 15.9. if so that is amazing and i live in the same area so if i can get that tune, i see no reason that i cant pull a mid 14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
........ i see no reason that i cant pull a mid 14.
Thats a nice list of mods! I'm sure you can do it!!!
moond0ggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moond0ggie View Post
Thats a nice list of mods! I'm sure you can do it!!!
do you guys think that low 14's would be possible? im gonna get the same tune as kyle had. he ran a 15.0 with just a tune, cai, and pulleys. between the gears and the torque converter, that should be another .7 seconds right?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

possibly.......i have a friend who had a v6 auto with 4.10s, exhaust, and a tune and from a 5 roll he would only jump maybe 1 1/2 cars on me and would get pulled around 40.

a good tune with an intake, exhaust, and gears should get you into the 14s if you can drive
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you also have to remember that every track is different and they are not all 100% accurate... and there are many other factors. Just go run and do your best.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you also have to remember that every track is different and they are not all 100% accurate... and there are many other factors. Just go run and do your best.
well im gonna be running my car at the same track as well.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

You gotta take in account for track temp and temp at the time of day/night your running,also tire pressure and alot more

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #10

Region: Massachusetts

I think with good traction, you might hit a 15.0. 02 Autos are a low-mid 16 second car stock, so to lose better than a second in the 1/4 with your mods would be a good gain.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think with good traction, you might hit a 15.0. 02 Autos are a low-mid 16 second car stock, so to lose better than a second in the 1/4 with your mods would be a good gain.
well everyone sais that with full bolt-ons, your car will run a second quicker on the quarter mile. im not sure what is meant by full bolt-ons, but i dont think that lower control arms and a torque converter constitute as bolt-ons. and i think these will help me the most after the gears.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
well everyone sais that with full bolt-ons, your car will run a second quicker on the quarter mile. im not sure what is meant by full bolt-ons, but i dont think that lower control arms and a torque converter constitute as bolt-ons. and i think these will help me the most after the gears.
from a pure horsepower point of view, it would take nearly 100 horsepower to gain a full second in the 1/4 with everything else being equal. Bolt-ons will not get you there. People still seem to think exhaust and a cai will give you 25hp. Your gears and convertor along with the lca's should cut a good 7-8 tenths or so, the rest should add up to another 3-4 tenths in my opinion
Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
from a pure horsepower point of view, it would take nearly 100 horsepower to gain a full second in the 1/4 with everything else being equal. Bolt-ons will not get you there. People still seem to think exhaust and a cai will give you 25hp. Your gears and convertor along with the lca's should cut a good 7-8 tenths or so, the rest should add up to another 3-4 tenths in my opinion
100hp? youre joking right? a stock 99-04 v6 mustang will run a 16.0 with 190hp. a stock 99-04 gt will run a mid-low 14 with only 260hp. a v6 mustang spraying a 100 shot would break into the low 14's/high 13's as well. i think you are more than wrong with that assumption.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
100hp? youre joking right? a stock 99-04 v6 mustang will run a 16.0 with 190hp. a stock 99-04 gt will run a mid-low 14 with only 260hp. a v6 mustang spraying a 100 shot would break into the low 14's/high 13's as well. i think you are more than wrong with that assumption.
The extra 75 lb/ft tq from the GT makes a big difference. Spraying a 100 shot also offers a huge tq increase. It's not an exact science, but in general a 10 hp increase will decrease your 1/4 miles by a tenth of a second
Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

andy, your HP to 1/4 time is way off.. there are so many factors that come into play that it isnt a very good model to base it off of (weight, torque, etc). in fact, gears dont have any HP gains and significantly improves track times for the auto. however, i do agree that HP gains are a bit inflated in most car owners... but we can mostly correct them. im pretty sure the members of this site know what mods will bring what HP estimates and track times by the shear number of members who gave timeslips and dynos over the years. i think it was concluded that exhaust + intake is about 10ish HP from what we've heard.

with those mods and a good tune (emphasis on good) i think you can break 15 seconds but low 14s would be hard to achieve... im even going as bold to say that you might need to venture down the road of nitrous or a turbo to see high 13/low 14s. you are reaching the peak limit of the stock v6 engine.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
andy, your HP to 1/4 time is way off.. there are so many factors that come into play that it isnt a very good model to base it off of (weight, torque, etc). in fact, gears dont have any HP gains and significantly improves track times for the auto. however, i do agree that HP gains are a bit inflated in most car owners... but we can mostly correct them. im pretty sure the members of this site know what mods will bring what HP estimates and track times by the shear number of members who gave timeslips and dynos over the years. i think it was concluded that exhaust + intake is about 10ish HP from what we've heard.

with those mods and a good tune (emphasis on good) i think you can break 15 seconds but low 14s would be hard to achieve... im even going as bold to say that you might need to venture down the road of nitrous or a turbo to see high 13/low 14s. you are reaching the peak limit of the stock v6 engine.
I have had my 01 v6 for 7 years and I've gone through every stage of mods starting with minor bolt-ons and ending with my current setup. With a 4.2 with ported heads, ported intakes, cam, sct tune, full exhaust, aluminum ds and 3.73's with t-lok..I hit a low 14. Everyone talks about high 13, low 14 second v6's...but without forced induction it is hard to get there.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
I have had my 01 v6 for 7 years and I've gone through every stage of mods starting with minor bolt-ons and ending with my current setup. With a 4.2 with ported heads, ported intakes, cam, sct tune, full exhaust, aluminum ds and 3.73's with t-lok..I hit a low 14. Everyone talks about high 13, low 14 second v6's...but without forced induction it is hard to get there.
I got surpised by a V6 at the track saturday, he turned a 13.9 to my 13.7...and I didn't hear any FI on the car. Might have had nitrous though.

My best in my 02 auto was a 15.2, I had basic bolton's (intake/exhaust/tune/egr delete/etc) and suspension and sticky tires. No reason you can't bust 14's with your setup and possibly get a mid 14 with some practice. I think the stall is actually going to hender you more right now than it will help though...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I got surpised by a V6 at the track saturday, he turned a 13.9 to my 13.7...and I didn't hear any FI on the car. Might have had nitrous though.

My best in my 02 auto was a 15.2, I had basic bolton's (intake/exhaust/tune/egr delete/etc) and suspension and sticky tires. No reason you can't bust 14's with your setup and possibly get a mid 14 with some practice. I think the stall is actually going to hender you more right now than it will help though...
Sweet...I'm not the only non-driving fool out there.

What was your 60 time?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Sweet...I'm not the only non-driving fool out there.

What was your 60 time?
That's not the best part man...there's a vid of my 15 second pass being passed around now lol. Missed 3rd and coasted for half the track.

My best 60 was 2.0 and I ran a 8.7 1/8 that run then missed 3rd. I've got the slips in the car, I'll post up the specifics later. I figure a 2.0 on street tires my first time to the track isn't too shabby.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
That's not the best part man...there's a vid of my 15 second pass being passed around now lol. Missed 3rd and coasted for half the track.

My best 60 was 2.0 and I ran a 8.7 1/8 that run then missed 3rd. I've got the slips in the car, I'll post up the specifics later. I figure a 2.0 on street tires my first time to the track isn't too shabby.
2.0 on street tire ain't bad at all get some more seat time and you'll hit 1.85

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

how would the stall slow me down? im constantly in the peak power band. i just dont get that. i know it wont be as good on my car as maybe a supercharged v6 but how would it hurt?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post

I would say you little off in your estimates, with full bolt ons most v6's can run about low 14's no problem! I ran a 14.71 with bolt ons and mail in tune! Not to shabby, but I had decent track conditions to. Hell I guy on V6P ran 12.76 with Nitrous, had some decent suspension mods. Also look at my HP/TQ #'s hell they are off a stock block with a blower and I have seen Turbo cars with stoclk block pushing the 330 range. Go to VMP Tuning Inc and check out some the v6 mustangs that justin has tuned and it will give a list of mods. That way you can see exactly about what the limit is, but after 13 psi or so you almost need to forge the bottom end! But I would say low 13's are very easy to obtain with a stock block....it is all about the suspension, tires and track conditions!
New Baby:
1989 5.0 5spd Great plans for this monster!
afinley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinley11 View Post
I would say you little off in your estimates, with full bolt ons most v6's can run about low 14's no problem! I ran a 14.71 with bolt ons and mail in tune! Not to shabby, but I had decent track conditions to. Hell I guy on V6P ran 12.76 with Nitrous, had some decent suspension mods. Also look at my HP/TQ #'s hell they are off a stock block with a blower and I have seen Turbo cars with stoclk block pushing the 330 range. Go to VMP Tuning Inc and check out some the v6 mustangs that justin has tuned and it will give a list of mods. That way you can see exactly about what the limit is, but after 13 psi or so you almost need to forge the bottom end! But I would say low 13's are very easy to obtain with a stock block....it is all about the suspension, tires and track conditions!
and what bolt-ons will alow me to run low 14's? ive never heard anyone running low 14's with just basic bolt-ons.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #24

Quote:
and what bolt-ons will alow me to run low 14's? ive never heard anyone running low 14's with just basic bolt-ons.
That would be the point I've been trying to make. I ran a 14.2@98 with a 4.2 with ported heads, intakes, a cam, gears and every other bolt-on known to man
Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

im saying with the right conditions, i am hoping for some mid 14's. it seems that people run better time in LA so im hoping that works for me. ive heard altitude and weather makes a HUGE difference.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

yeah i heard that as well (that altitude makes a difference)

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang