Car still won't start help!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Car still won't start help!!

Alright guys you've all gotten me out of a bind before... but for those who don't know i have a 2000 mustang v6, the org engine wouldn't start after a while, the last time I got her to "nearly" start... she cranked but wouldn't fully kick after that shes been dead in the water so i took the time to put in my 03's v6 motor... everything has been changed in fluids, plugs... I have everything hooked up properly i know this.... but i still am having the same issue... still won't crank over for me. I get the lights in the car to work, i tried turning the key with the headlights on and they didn't dim, nor did any of the lights in the car... just the dash for the lights that turn "off" when you turn key

so what could this be!? I've yet to check the fuses.. but i'm starting to think ignition switch perhaps? please a little insight?
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Car still won't start help!!

Do you mean the starter wont turn or it will turn but not start..If the starter wont turn it could be the security system..If you have a securitty light,,does it blink rapidly,,when you try to start??
Old 08-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It won't crank at all is what I'm trying to say. Sorry for any confusion... I haven't slept because of this car xD

I get fuel into the lines.. I know that... it's just the car isn't actually turning over when you turn key to the "on" position.

As for the theft light.. no its not flashing - it's off now because I didn't realize that I was using the new computer and new speedo but not the chip from the new (03) engine. I dealt with that the other night causing me to switch back to the 00's orig speedo, key & computer just to try and get this car to start.....

would having the 03 motor with the 00's comp speedo and key be why maybe? i dont see how so though? I plan to switch back just trying to get her to start... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine View Post
It won't crank at all is what I'm trying to say. Sorry for any confusion... I haven't slept because of this car xD

I get fuel into the lines.. I know that... it's just the car isn't actually turning over when you turn key to the "on" position.

I know in 02 and 03 this is true..But you have a seperate security module,,When the module sees the key it sends a signal to the computer and the computer grounds the starter relay and starts fuel inj also,,so the main computer has to reconize the signal from the security computer,,to start the vehicle..If you change the computer the security computer prob not reconizing the signal..But usually when that happens the light will flash rapidly,,you said there was no security light coming on at all,in the vehicle??Are you sure the security fuse is good??

As for the theft light.. no its not flashing - it's off now because I didn't realize that I was using the new computer and new speedo but not the chip from the new (03) engine. I dealt with that the other night causing me to switch back to the 00's orig speedo, key & computer just to try and get this car to start.....

would having the 03 motor with the 00's comp speedo and key be why maybe? i dont see how so though? I plan to switch back just trying to get her to start... lol
Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine
Alright guys you've all gotten me out of a bind before... but for those who don't know i have a 2000 mustang v6, the org engine wouldn't start after a while, the last time I got her to "nearly" start... she cranked but wouldn't fully kick after that shes been dead in the water so i took the time to put in my 03's v6 motor... everything has been changed in fluids, plugs... I have everything hooked up properly i know this.... but i still am having the same issue... still won't crank over for me. I get the lights in the car to work, i tried turning the key with the headlights on and they didn't dim, nor did any of the lights in the car... just the dash for the lights that turn "off" when you turn key

so what could this be!? I've yet to check the fuses.. but i'm starting to think ignition switch perhaps? please a little insight?
I would check your key and ignition.. Chip might be bad
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

How do I go about the chip? ( ford dealer?) also neone have a write up on the ignition?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How do I go about the chip? ( ford dealer?) also neone have a write up on the ignition?
After you check the chip,,if you want i can look it up at work at the wiring diagram..Because you should have voltage to 2 spots on the relay when you turn the key..if you do the ignition is ok,,and then you should have a ground at the relay when you turn the key,,that will tell ya if the security is working...Its hard to explain in words but i can look it up tommorrow if you havent figured it out..by then..you said 2000 mustang v6 right
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It's a 2000 v6 with a 2003 v6 motor swapped in.. STOCK ( for now ) also... I just went to the garage and filmed what it's doing... I'm going to post a youtube link in a lil bit. just need to set up a new youtube account and upload to comp. there is a strange noise when the key is turned... glad i got it recorded cos after the key was out of the ignition it stopped.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a 2000 v6 with a 2003 v6 motor swapped in.. STOCK ( for now ) also... I just went to the garage and filmed what it's doing... I'm going to post a youtube link in a lil bit. just need to set up a new youtube account and upload to comp. there is a strange noise when the key is turned... glad i got it recorded cos after the key was out of the ignition it stopped.
You said strange noise..Can you get to the little wire on the starter motor solenoid..If so do u have a test light..If so ground the test light,,touch the other end to the little wire on the starter,,and when someone turns the key to start does the test light light up?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's almost like a whining noise? Im trying to upload the vids to my comp from my phone but it's being a pain... also the car is at a friends house do to space restraints in my garage otherwise I'd be trying everything right now but.... lemme upload the vids so you know what is going on exactly - better then words.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

d@mn it... my phone managed to delete the videos.. no vids now sry.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not sure if someone cleared this up but it's not the chip in your key. It won't turn if your chips bad. I wanna say battery if it won't then over? I don't read all of this thread so the little I did makes me say this.. Battery can have enough juice to make lights and stuff come on, but not enough to turn the motor over.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Not sure if someone cleared this up but it's not the chip in your key. It won't turn if your chips bad. I wanna say battery if it won't then over? I don't read all of this thread so the little I did makes me say this.. Battery can have enough juice to make lights and stuff come on, but not enough to turn the motor over.
Well at first he it wasnt doing anything,,but his last response was it made a noise when he turn it over..I told him to see if he has voltage coming to his s terminal on the starter,,when he turns the key,, but he hasnt replied yet
Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

Well at first he it wasnt doing anything,,but his last response was it made a noise when he turn it over..I told him to see if he has voltage coming to his s terminal on the starter,,when he turns the key,, but he hasnt replied yet
Great advise guys... To add to that, did you put the same starter on the newer engine from the old car? Kinda sounds like it could be that too.
mustang06gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

it's not the battery, I have a new one thats fully charged. Sorry for not responding yet and no i didnt use the same starter. everything from the 00 is on the 00 and the same with the 03. the noise was when I turned the key to the TRY and start the car - it did not crank. it was just a noise that I hadn't heard before.

I went to a ford dealer and they said that It might have something to do with the netural safety switch beause i still have the clutch assembly in the car. So i'm going to try and disconnect the wires ( if i can find them ) that go into the clutch assembly....

any other input would be great guys thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

also the only thing that is still "orginal" to the car would be the fuel pump ( which is working ) and the ignition also the clutch assembly
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My 2000 mustang wouldn't start and all it was was a fuel rail pressure sensor.
Ilovemustangs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

it wouldnt crank over? or.... would it crank?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang