Mustang wont go - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Mustang wont go

My mustang was hesitating to go then once it did it shifted in hard. Then it was fine while you're driving. But every time you stopped and had to go again it did this. Now today my husband was going to take my mustang to his dads garage to check everything and it won't go at all. I'm so frustrated. Mustangs are my favorite but this one needs fixed every few months. Something always goes wrong. I can't afford to keep fixing it. And I can't buy another for four years when my jeep is paid off.
Ilovemustangs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Hmm well I love my mustang and sometimes I do get mad but once you get it fix and work it all out. You feel the joy and love of the car. When at a stop does it try to die?
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It idles good but when you hit the gas to go it hesitates a few seconds then it shifts in hard and then goes. I wish I bought a manual. I'm not a fan of automatics. I love the car. And it kills me that I ran out of money fixing it every couple of months. There's always something wrong with it.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

But now it won't go at all. :'(

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

I have had it over a year and only put a little over 1,000 miles on it because it always has an issue. I could have bought a new one for the money I have in this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemustangs88
It idles good but when you hit the gas to go it hesitates a few seconds then it shifts in hard and then goes. I wish I bought a manual. I'm not a fan of automatics. I love the car. And it kills me that I ran out of money fixing it every couple of months. There's always something wrong with it.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

I have had it over a year and only put a little over 1,000 miles on it because it always has an issue. I could have bought a new one for the money I have in this one.
So the car won't start and the shifter won't move right. If you hit the brake lights do they turn on. Also auto can be made fast add a tuner and jmod and be next to a manual
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The engine runs but when you put it in drive and hit the gas it won't move at all. It actually started coasting backwards. (it's on a slight hill) but it coasted backwards as you are hitting the gas
Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The engine runs but when you put it in drive and hit the gas it won't move at all. It actually started coasting backwards. (it's on a slight hill) but it coasted backwards as you are hitting the gas
Hmm sounds like the trans is done. When you got the car did the car jump when you put in gear
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think so. It seemed fine.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Do you have any idea how much it costs to replace a transmission on a 2000 ford mustang v6
Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Do you have a check engine light
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No the check engine light isnt on
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Will the car move in reverse? And can you give it gas while in park? Like rev it?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You can rev the engine but it won't go in any gear. It won't go forward or backward.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Have you checked your trans fluid?..if it's low that's exactly what will happen.
If the level is good then it could be your torque converter is bad
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Can you push your car in neutral? If not or if it's lock then you really have a big problem about your transmission. It's not just the oil or something but the whole trans.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure if I can push it or not. We didn't try that. I talked to my uncle. He's going to look at it hopefully this weekend. He said if its the transmission he will change it for me. But he said it sounds like the transmission but he's going to look for other problems first.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Have you checked your trans fluid?..if it's low that's exactly what will happen.
If the level is good then it could be your torque converter is bad
We checked the transmission fluid and added some and it didn't change anything. I'm thinking I need a tranny. I don't beat the car at all. It's very well taken care of so it really ticks me off.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

It could be the torque converter. I drove it to work one day. And on the way home it was hesitating then shifted really hard. And when I put it in a gear like drive or park I had to wait a few seconds before it would shift then I could go. Then the next time we tried to drive it (today) it won't go at all. I don't know.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Mustang wont go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemustangs88 View Post
My mustang was hesitating to go then once it did it shifted in hard. Then it was fine while you're driving. But every time you stopped and had to go again it did this. Now today my husband was going to take my mustang to his dads garage to check everything and it won't go at all. I'm so frustrated. Mustangs are my favorite but this one needs fixed every few months. Something always goes wrong. I can't afford to keep fixing it. And I can't buy another for four years when my jeep is paid off.
Did yall check the transmission fluid,,you said it wont go at all,,you mean it will run but not move right??

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Check the tranny fluid,,If its full smell it see if it smell burnt,,or is brown or black in color...If its red it could b a dirty trans filter
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like it could be your shift cable, had this happen on mine before and mine did the same thing your describing. Not that expensive of a fix if it is
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Im sorry to hear that,,thats why its hard to buy a used mustang,,you dont know how hard its been drove.....Mine has a few issues but thats what i do for a living,,so working on her is not a problem,,I also bought a auto,,thinking mostly kids buy the manuals,,so maybe she was treated right
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yes the engine runs but it won't move. And my uncle is going to check the shift cable. Thank you all for your input. I will keep it in mind and have him look at all those things. I'm really hoping its that cable.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

Im sorry to hear that,,thats why its hard to buy a used mustang,,you dont know how hard its been drove.....Mine has a few issues but thats what i do for a living,,so working on her is not a problem,,I also bought a auto,,thinking mostly kids buy the manuals,,so maybe she was treated right
I'm thinking mine was abused. I found a speeding ticket or two in the glove box. It really sucks for the next owner. They get rid of it in time for me to pay all the repairs. I love the car and don't want to sell it.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

The fluid is new. I had it drained and refilled not long ago. And it's still red.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Once you work all of the bugs out of her you'll love her even more
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes the engine runs but it won't move. And my uncle is going to check the shift cable. Thank you all for your input. I will keep it in mind and have him look at all those things. I'm really hoping its that cable.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

I'm thinking mine was abused. I found a speeding ticket or two in the glove box. It really sucks for the next owner. They get rid of it in time for me to pay all the repairs. I love the car and don't want to sell it.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

The fluid is new. I had it drained and refilled not long ago. And it's still red.
I also had a few trucks in fleet where the filter fell out,,That could just be the torque convertor like that one person said,,usually if the clutches are burnt the fluid will tell ya that..good luck
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I also had a few trucks in fleet where the filter fell out,,That could just be the torque convertor like that one person said,,usually if the clutches are burnt the fluid will tell ya that..good luck
Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I'm not sure if I can push it or not. We didn't try that. I talked to my uncle. He's going to look at it hopefully this weekend. He said if its the transmission he will change it for me. But he said it sounds like the transmission but he's going to look for other problems first.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

We checked the transmission fluid and added some and it didn't change anything. I'm thinking I need a tranny. I don't beat the car at all. It's very well taken care of so it really ticks me off.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

It could be the torque converter. I drove it to work one day. And on the way home it was hesitating then shifted really hard. And when I put it in a gear like drive or park I had to wait a few seconds before it would shift then I could go. Then the next time we tried to drive it (today) it won't go at all. I don't know.
Let me start out with mustangs having problems every few months is uncommon. The t45 trans is a weak trans when abused (sounds like yours was before) they last around 150k (more if treaten right, less if wrong)

Let's also take into affect your car is almost 13 years old (actually 14 cuz they made 00's in 99 just like they make 13's now in 2012) so your car is old and most likely has never had anything replaced so that's your job as the used car owner.

I don't feel like its your trans or you should have had signs of it going out (like when In drive it will get pushed out into neutral, etc.) before this happened. I'm not sure what it is but I'm guessing something like the cable idea, or in that minor expense area which a new trans isn't in. Good luck to you, keep us updated.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

There's cars a lot older on the street that has not near as many problems as I have had.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #24

Region: Kentucky

my first mustang was a 97 automatic that was abused like crazy.the owner thought he was tough SH** driving a v6. anyway mine was doing the same thing and i swapped the torgue converter while doing the engine rebuilt and eveything stopped. im 99% positive mine was the t.c.
limitedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks. I think we are going to have it towed and worked on this week. I can't wait to drive it again

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

My first one was a 98 v6 manual. I loved it. Fun to drive and never broke down
Old 08-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My mustang you can rev the engine so I was wondering do you think it is the torque converter? Or could it also be the cable for the shifter?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if it helps but I had a fox body that had a similar problem. When I would come to a stop it would seam like it was in neutral and when I went to go it would rev up and then throw its self into gear. So when I took it to get fixed it was then seals in the trans that were bad they replaced the seals and it was like new again and it cost like $600. Hopefully this helps in some way.
97cutomstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That's what mine did the one day I drove it. Then the next time my husband was going to take it it wouldn't go at all.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Having a unfortunate And uncommon issue I feel like. Sorry for your bad experience with mustangs. They are good car in general, But even a Toyota can have problems.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

It's not my first mustang. But it doesn't change how I feel about them at all. And I don't like Toyota. Lol I like jeeps and mustangs. I have a jeep wrangler too. mustangs and jeep wranglers are my favorite and the only vehicles I would want to drive.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

I just want mine back on the road. I miss it like crazy.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

We talked to the mechanic he said it could be something small but if it's the transmission it will cost about &2,500. If I'm going to spend that much I would rather turn it into a manual transmission. But I know there's a lot to change. How much more do you think it would cost if we converted it to manual?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

If you can find the parts used them it will prolly be cheaper. But also look around for an auto tranny cheap
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

My mustang is being towed in the morning. I'll update you on what happens. Wish me luck. I hope my baby will be back on the road soon.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3987707682.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	559.2 KB
ID:	66370

That's my baby.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck!
97cutomstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang