pure engine or turbo power? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert
you'll need better injectors and pump to support that power level of 300rwhp+, my 242rwhp strains the 21's hard and it's just an N/A motor, boosted motors need bigger injectors than an N/A motor would

the trans can take more than that, but your torque converter will not like you at all, a good stall and a cooler would be recommended for a lot of power, also a shift kit would prolong it's life

and unless you did the swap and the mechanic saw it on the car, he doesn't know much about the cars it seems lol only the gt's had an 8.8, it's a direct swap in with the correct year range
I've got a manual '95. And thanks.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

It might work for awhile but the 7.5 rear wont work and you'll want to get a lsd anyways.
What's an lsd? Sry I'm new to the mechanical side of cars. I'm great at body but my interest is mechanical.

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote:
A ysi blower lmao

600rwhp will be difficult with a supercharger, considering the amount of power they suck up, and to get a blower to support that power level it'll probably be cheaper to go turbo

As a side note a turbo can be cooled to very low IAT levels so you can mark that off the list of reasons
What's a ysi blower? Also I've heard that its a pain in the *** to do the piping for a turbo plus $$$$ costly since they don't make a kit for our cars. Hence y I was going sc. And I heard that the heat from the pipes will slowly melt the wiring and hoses. Originally I was gunna go turbo but then I heard that. If I'm wrong please correct me. I'm trying to make the best decisions and plan out my car b4 I make any moves on it.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Also does anyone know of a sc blower that can give 20-30lb of boost? What's the name of the best blower for that? That's the range I think imma have to look at for boost.
morthis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: pure engine or turbo power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
you'll need better injectors and pump to support that power level of 300rwhp+, my 242rwhp strains the 21's hard and it's just an N/A motor, boosted motors need bigger injectors than an N/A motor would
You can usually get by with 6 to 9 psi of boost on stock injectors using a FMU to increase fuel pressure.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32 View Post
Also does anyone know of a sc blower that can give 20-30lb of boost? What's the name of the best blower for that? That's the range I think imma have to look at for boost.
You're gonna want a turbo for that boost level.

My holset hx35w hits 30 lbs of boost without any complaints.
Mike SVOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SVOR

You can usually get by with 6 to 9 psi of boost on stock injectors using a FMU to increase fuel pressure.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

You're gonna want a turbo for that boost level.

My holset hx35w hits 30 lbs of boost without any complaints.
I heard is crazy expensive to run the piping for the turbo since they don't make kits for our cars. Is that true? And is it there a problem of engjne heat that ur running into with your turbo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I heard is crazy expensive to run the piping for the turbo since they don't make kits for our cars. Is that true? And is it there a problem of engjne heat that ur running into with your turbo?
You can buy a mig welder, tank and mask for around 600 bucks. Build a turbo kit yourself from there.
In this hobby, you'll pay thousands for someone elses work.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You can buy a mig welder, tank and mask for around 600 bucks. Build a turbo kit yourself from there.
In this hobby, you'll pay thousands for someone elses work.
What about bending the piping? How hard is that? My dad told me its easy and id be a fool to pay someone but he also nvr put FI on his muscle cars.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What about bending the piping? How hard is that? My dad told me its easy and id be a fool to pay someone but he also nvr put FI on his muscle cars.
I've never bent a pipe in my life.
I always buy mandrel bent "J" bends from the cheapest place I can find. Thick wall tubing for everything before the turbo (hot side), thin wall for everything after the turbo.

I've used a recipricating saw (sawzall) for a few exhaust systems i've built, and my 110 volt tig welder.

You can find the ball/socket fittings at jegs and other places.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've never bent a pipe in my life.
I always buy mandrel bent "J" bends from the cheapest place I can find. Thick wall tubing for everything before the turbo (hot side), thin wall for everything after the turbo.

I've used a recipricating saw (sawzall) for a few exhaust systems i've built, and my 110 volt tig welder.

You can find the ball/socket fittings at jegs and other places.
Ah ok. Idk. Right now I'm really liking the 2003–2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, Iron block, 4.6 4v dohc Supercharged, 390 hp (291 kW) and 390 lb·ft (529 N·m).

W/o sc I believe this motor makes 340-350hp.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32

Ah ok. Idk. Right now I'm really liking the 2003–2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, Iron block, 4.6 4v dohc Supercharged, 390 hp (291 kW) and 390 lb·ft (529 N·m).

W/o sc I believe this motor makes 340-350hp.
No. It wont make anywhere near that much without the blower. A bolt on version of it with the non supercharged compression ratio yes. But at 8.5 compression I bet it makes 270 at best. Compression ratio is a huge part of fi engine builds.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No. It wont make anywhere near that much without the blower. A bolt on version of it with the non supercharged compression ratio yes. But at 8.5 compression I bet it makes 270 at best. Compression ratio is a huge part of fi engine builds.
Wrong. The 4v dohc built w/o charger set up makes 325. And I believe its more than 8.5:1
But I'm not sure on the compression.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Wrong. The 4v dohc built w/o charger set up makes 325. And I believe its more than 8.5:1
But I'm not sure on the compression.
That's what I just said. And I own a NA 4.6 quadcam. Its 10:1 stock and its rated for 305. The same engine at 8.5 would make way less power. As my previous post said.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

as to the compression difference, the general summation is 25-30hp per 1 CR drop

and DaBluedude, he is thinking of the 99-01 cobra's rated at 320hp, whereas the 03-04 Mach 1's are rated at 305hp

Quote:
What's a ysi blower? Also I've heard that its a pain in the *** to do the piping for a turbo plus $$$$ costly since they don't make a kit for our cars. Hence y I was going sc. And I heard that the heat from the pipes will slowly melt the wiring and hoses. Originally I was gunna go turbo but then I heard that. If I'm wrong please correct me.
this is a YSI blower \/
Vortech V-7 YSi Supercharger | Vortech Superchargers

they do make kits for our cars, TMA is making them again
TMA TURBO

also i believe Kyle is still doing them, have to email to know for sure
Home - Kyle Person Performance

and no the heat won't melt anything that is properly wrapped up...

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
as to the compression difference, the general summation is 25-30hp per 1 CR drop

and DaBluedude, he is thinking of the 99-01 cobra's rated at 320hp, whereas the 03-04 Mach 1's are rated at 305hp

this is a YSI blower \/

TMA TURBO

Your kidding me Kyle does turbos?
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
Your kidding me Kyle does turbos?
i believe so, he talked about it before, that's why i said email to be sure

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i believe so, he talked about it before, that's why i said email to be sure
Well damn David... I may now look back into a 4.2 build and turbo.... Would be kinda cool... And I would get to build an engine 0.0
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

ask him before you make plans lol

and if you do go that far i want to join in the build

blower/new cam soon
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ask him before you make plans lol

and if you do go that far i want to join in the build
Hell I'll do a write up on here and in FB.
Lol, I'll give u all u need to know also, my step dad built his engines in his 67 Camaro and his 69 Camaro. One was a 327 one was a 350. So he know what he is doing its all the wiring that messes him up lol
Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
Hell I'll do a write up on here and in FB.
Lol, I'll give u all u need to know also, my step dad built his engines in his 67 Camaro and his 69 Camaro. One was a 327 one was a 350. So he know what he is doing its all the wiring that messes him up lol
lol i just meant i want to be there for it, not many people do this to a sixer..

blower/new cam soon
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol i just meant i want to be there for it, not many people do this to a sixer..
I'd have to change my exhaust again... *Ugh*
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

this is a YSI blower \/

TMA TURBO

Yes I was thinking that they made the 320hp. My bad.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

Quote:

That's what I just said. And I own a NA 4.6 quadcam. Its 10:1 stock and its rated for 305. The same engine at 8.5 would make way less power. As my previous post said.
I apologize. I was wrong. Btw y must the cr be 8.5:1 to support a blower setup? I'm sry but I don't understand this, y can't it be more. Can you explain it?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes I was thinking that they made the 320hp. My bad.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

I apologize. I was wrong. Btw y must the cr be 8.5:1 to support a blower setup? I'm sry but I don't understand this, y can't it be more. Can you explain it?
The lower the compression the better the engine reacts to boost. I'm not a mechanic and I can't give you a technical terms... That's why dished topped pistons r good for boost(lower compression) someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx

The lower the compression the better the engine reacts to boost. I'm not a mechanic and I can't give you a technical terms... That's why dished topped pistons r good for boost(lower compression) someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Uhuh... I see. Ok so say I'm looking for about 600hp. What route wuld u take? The 3.8 or the 4v dohc 4.6? Also do they make a 4v dohc 3.8?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

6-9psi with a FMU?? With what a 100cfm leaf blower?? Try that with a V1 vortech or a decent size turbo and you'll be riding 6-9psi all the way to the junk yard.

If your asking about making 600hp, you will be like every other thread on every other v6 forum, it won't happen. You won't spend the money to make it, period.

And mike SVOR your holset hx35 hits 30psi on what?? You don't make 30psi on a v6 mustang.
ChrisTorres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Uhuh... I see. Ok so say I'm looking for about 600hp. What route wuld u take? The 3.8 or the 4v dohc 4.6? Also do they make a 4v dohc 3.8?
U can make 600 with the 4v 4.6 not the 3.8(well its possible but way wayway more expensive)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTorres08 View Post
6-9psi with a FMU?? With what a 100cfm leaf blower?? Try that with a V1 vortech or a decent size turbo and you'll be riding 6-9psi all the way to the junk yard.
hurr durr durr
From Vortech's own website, they offered a charger for a 3.8 stang that runs 6 psi and comes with just an FMU for enrichment.

Stock 5.0's have been using them for Decades!

I run a 12:1 fmu on my turbo mustang and use a bleeder to fine tune the fuel pressure. I run about 100 psi of fuel pressure under boost.

What does a "decent size turbo" have anything to do with boost levels?
Boost is a measurement of resistance in your intake system.
6 psi of boost out of a V1 A trim is the same amount of air flow as 6 psi of boost out of a YSI Q1bxxxR superQtrim.

Quote:
And mike SVOR your holset hx35 hits 30psi on what?? You don't make 30psi on a v6 mustang.
Follow along now.
My holset is on a 2.3 85 notch stang.
Others have run the holset on 302 setups.
Some grand national v6 owners have used them.
It comes factory on a cummins diesel that makes 30 psi and above.
Why wouldn't it make 30 psi on a v6??? I fail to grasp what you're getting at here.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SVOR View Post
hurr durr durr
From Vortech's own website, they offered a charger for a 3.8 stang that runs 6 psi and comes with just an FMU for enrichment.

Stock 5.0's have been using them for Decades!

I run a 12:1 fmu on my turbo mustang and use a bleeder to fine tune the fuel pressure. I run about 100 psi of fuel pressure under boost.

What does a "decent size turbo" have anything to do with boost levels?
Boost is a measurement of resistance in your intake system.
6 psi of boost out of a V1 A trim is the same amount of air flow as 6 psi of boost out of a YSI Q1bxxxR superQtrim.

Follow along now.
My holset is on a 2.3 85 notch stang.
Others have run the holset on 302 setups.
Some grand national v6 owners have used them.
It comes factory on a cummins diesel that makes 30 psi and above.
Why wouldn't it make 30 psi on a v6??? I fail to grasp what you're getting at here.
Me following what you say is like you asking me as a rich man to let you show me how to make money and your homeless.

FMU won't work on all years, I've never seen one "work well" on a 94-98 v6 mustang either.

10psi is not 10psi... cfm/air density/mass flow, do we need to open up class here?? If 10psi is 10psi explain to me why at the same "10psi" someone can make 240hp on a T25, and then make 260hp on a 60-1 with no tuning.

I was saying you don't have anything that makes 30psi of boost, you have a turbo capable of it maybe.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTorres08

Me following what you say is like you asking me as a rich man to let you show me how to make money and your homeless.

FMU won't work on all years, I've never seen one "work well" on a 94-98 v6 mustang either.

10psi is not 10psi... cfm/air density/mass flow, do we need to open up class here?? If 10psi is 10psi explain to me why at the same "10psi" someone can make 240hp on a T25, and then make 260hp on a 60-1 with no tuning.

I was saying you don't have anything that makes 30psi of boost, you have a turbo capable of it maybe.
What is a fmu? I c u guys sayong it a lot. What is it?

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx

U can make 600 with the 4v 4.6 not the 3.8(well its possible but way wayway more expensive)
What price do u think it'll be for me? I'm planning right now of getting that engine and swapping it in, and modding it for about 600hp. But am wondering an estament for the cost of all that. And compare it to if I drop in the 1995 supercoupe m90'd v6 and modding that for 600hp (obviously need turbo or TT system).
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahh, the age old internet warrior tactic of hyping one's self up to try and discredit his opponent.

Quote:
FMU won't work on all years
This is true. Non-return style fuel injection systems can not implement an FMU for enrichment.

Quote:
I've never seen one "work well" on a 94-98 v6 mustang either.
Is this statement supposed to discredit the thousands of vehicles out there that do/have run an FMU? Vortech, Kenny Bell, Procharger, etc, ALL implemented an FMU at some point for their kits.

Quote:
10psi is not 10psi... cfm/air density/mass flow,
Oh my.

If you inflate a tire to 30 psi, it doesn't matter if you inflate it with a bicycle pump or a nuclear reactor. 30psi REMAINS 30 psi. Drill a small hole in that tire and inflate it to 30 psi again, this time maintaining the 30 psi pressure. Again, bicycle pump or nuclear reactor, 30 psi REMAINS 30 psi.

10 psi is still 10 psi no matter how hot or cold it is. Assuming you're trying to inject a temperature variable into a scenario to make it seem like the quality of a certain psi is better than the other, you're doing this why? Because your intercooler doesn't cool properly?

Quote:
do we need to open up class here??
hehe, you better do a little more reading before you try and 'school' anyone on how/why boosted engines achieve boost.

Quote:
If 10psi is 10psi explain to me why at the same "10psi" someone can make 240hp on a T25, and then make 260hp on a 60-1 with no tuning.
Ok, i'll school you a little...
Pumping efficiencies, mechanical efficiencies, fluid dynamics, power adder efficiency range, etc.

Scenario question:
You want to achieve 10 psi of boost on your mostly stock 3.8 ford engine, and are given three choices; one of the choices is a single garrett t3 turbo from a stock ford 2.3 liter, one is a 60 trim t3/t4 hybrid ball bearing turbo, and the other is a supercharger from a train engine that is the size of a small tool shed.
All three are capable of making 10 psi of boost 'somewhere' within your given RPM range.
Which of those three do you think would make the most power given the same boost level?
**are you understanding yet?**

Quote:
Are you saying I don't run 30 psi of boost in my turbo 2.3 mustang??? Really? I guess you don't know me.

I've been running power adders for a long time.

Oh, Morthis, FMU stands for fuel management unit. They increase fuel pressure in relation to boost levels. Example: A 10:1 (read ten to one) FMU will increase fuel pressure 10 psi per pound of boost. A 8:1 FMU will do 8 pounds of fuel pressure per pound of boost. 10:1 FMU with 2 pounds of boost equals 20 pounds of additional fuel pressure added to your already ~35 psi fuel pressure. So you're gauge would read 55 psi fuel pressure at 2 pounds of boost.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ahh, the age old internet warrior tactic of hyping one's self up to try and discredit his opponent.

This is true. Non-return style fuel injection systems can not implement an FMU for enrichment.

Is this statement supposed to discredit the thousands of vehicles out there that do/have run an FMU? Vortech, Kenny Bell, Procharger, etc, ALL implemented an FMU at some point for their kits.

Oh my.

If you inflate a tire to 30 psi, it doesn't matter if you inflate it with a bicycle pump or a nuclear reactor. 30psi REMAINS 30 psi. Drill a small hole in that tire and inflate it to 30 psi again, this time maintaining the 30 psi pressure. Again, bicycle pump or nuclear reactor, 30 psi REMAINS 30 psi.

10 psi is still 10 psi no matter how hot or cold it is. Assuming you're trying to inject a temperature variable into a scenario to make it seem like the quality of a certain psi is better than the other, you're doing this why? Because your intercooler doesn't cool properly?

hehe, you better do a little more reading before you try and 'school' anyone on how/why boosted engines achieve boost.

Ok, i'll school you a little...
Pumping efficiencies, mechanical efficiencies, fluid dynamics, power adder efficiency range, etc.

Scenario question:
You want to achieve 10 psi of boost on your mostly stock 3.8 ford engine, and are given three choices; one of the choices is a single garrett t3 turbo from a stock ford 2.3 liter, one is a 60 trim t3/t4 hybrid ball bearing turbo, and the other is a supercharger from a train engine that is the size of a small tool shed.
All three are capable of making 10 psi of boost 'somewhere' within your given RPM range.
Which of those three do you think would make the most power given the same boost level?
**are you understanding yet?**

Are you saying I don't run 30 psi of boost in my turbo 2.3 mustang??? Really? I guess you don't know me.

I've been running power adders for a long time.

Oh, Morthis, FMU stands for fuel management unit. They increase fuel pressure in relation to boost levels. Example: A 10:1 (read ten to one) FMU will increase fuel pressure 10 psi per pound of boost. A 8:1 FMU will do 8 pounds of fuel pressure per pound of boost. 10:1 FMU with 2 pounds of boost equals 20 pounds of additional fuel pressure added to your already ~35 psi fuel pressure. So you're gauge would read 55 psi fuel pressure at 2 pounds of boost.
Ok thought so but wasn't sure.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thought so but wasn't sure.
You can get away with just a FMU on a supercharger or turbo boosting around 6 to 9 psi on stock injectors. Yea 9 psi is pushing their limits, but its been done thousands of times before.

Proper (professional) way to do it is to buy correct size injectors, aftermarket computer and wideband O2 setup, then tune for peak power and safety.

I'm sure ChrisTorres08 is going to come back and try to blast me off the interwebs with 'knowledge', so thats all I'm saying, in this thread, on FMUs.

Let me know if you have specific questions on different types of fuel enrichment/compensation for boosted applications.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

I don't need to blast you off with knowledge thats too easy, I would rather just beat you with my car!

Restriction doesn't measure CFM!

Also the fmu, ok he may get it to work, but why, he can get injectors a pump and a decent tune and leave it be. instead of an FMU and a pump. Btw I've been in the v6 mustang game long enough pretty much every v6 that has posted online somewhere I know about. I haven't seen 1 car running 9psi on an FMU the only guy close was 97tunedmustang with his purple vortech car and he blew 2 motors before he got rid of the FMU.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!'
Old 08-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't need to blast you off with knowledge thats too easy, I would rather just beat you with my car!

Whats that mean?
Your car runs ~12.20-12.50 1/4 mile times?
I've eaten pullied cobras for lunch in my turbo 4 cylinder mustang on pump gas.
Does that mean I know more? lol
Or do you want to race my supercharged 351 mustang? That 'must' mean I know more.

aaaannny ways...
Saw your vid on the mustang specialties dyno. I've been there once or twice with my 2.3
Ronnie Wilson drove while I tuned. Known him since I was 15 or so. Put down 290 rwhp and 350 torque on the stock T3 turbo and 23 lbs of boost. Then I switched to a custom intercooler, holset turbo, 30 lbs of boost, fiberglass fenders, doors, hood, trunk, megasquirt w/ wideband o2, etc.

I'm pretty sure I know what i'm doing.
I don't claim this because of how much faster my car(s) are than others.
Just trying to get the info out to help people.
I made a 12 second mustang out of junkyard parts for under 1500 bucks. I know my way around cheap.
Haven't destroyed more than a couple headgaskets in my travels either.

Quote:
Restriction doesn't measure CFM!

BOOST is a measurement of RESTRICTION.
CFM relates to BOOST only if temperatures and humidity are equal at the throttle body (pertaining to intercooled vs non-intercooled).
Running a boosted engine 10 psi with no intercooler will show less cfm (on mass air meter) than the same motor intercooled.
You're trying to skew the results by adding/deleting essential parts. Just to add in the CFM argument.

Modern (racing) FI computers don't even take into account CFM measurements due to them being speed density systems. All they need to know is air temp, manifold pressure, RPM, throttle position and crank position.

But I digress....
I'm off to install my new 17" tires on my 99 stang.
Have a good weekend all!!!
Monday's a holiday!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Whats that mean?
Your car runs ~12.20-12.50 1/4 mile times?
I've eaten pullied cobras for lunch in my turbo 4 cylinder mustang on pump gas.
Does that mean I know more? lol
Or do you want to race my supercharged 351 mustang? That 'must' mean I know more.

aaaannny ways...
Saw your vid on the mustang specialties dyno. I've been there once or twice with my 2.3
Ronnie Wilson drove while I tuned. Known him since I was 15 or so. Put down 290 rwhp and 350 torque on the stock T3 turbo and 23 lbs of boost. Then I switched to a custom intercooler, holset turbo, 30 lbs of boost, fiberglass fenders, doors, hood, trunk, megasquirt w/ wideband o2, etc.

I'm pretty sure I know what i'm doing.
I don't claim this because of how much faster my car(s) are than others.
Just trying to get the info out to help people.
I made a 12 second mustang out of junkyard parts for under 1500 bucks. I know my way around cheap.
Haven't destroyed more than a couple headgaskets in my travels either.

BOOST is a measurement of RESTRICTION.
CFM relates to BOOST only if temperatures and humidity are equal at the throttle body (pertaining to intercooled vs non-intercooled).
Running a boosted engine 10 psi with no intercooler will show less cfm (on mass air meter) than the same motor intercooled.
You're trying to skew the results by adding/deleting essential parts. Just to add in the CFM argument.

Modern (racing) FI computers don't even take into account CFM measurements due to them being speed density systems. All they need to know is air temp, manifold pressure, RPM, throttle position and crank position.

But I digress....
I'm off to install my new 17" tires on my 99 stang.
Have a good weekend all!!!
Monday's a holiday!!!
Mike svor- what do u think of me dropping in the 1995 supercoupe v6 w/ the m90? (230hp@3200, 350lb@4g) and then later saving for the 4v dohc supercharged 4.6? Also does that m112 have an intercooler and if not can u custom attach one to it?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mike svor- what do u think of me dropping in the 1995 supercoupe v6 w/ the m90? (230hp@3200, 350lb@4g) and then later saving for the 4v dohc supercharged 4.6? Also does that m112 have an intercooler and if not can u custom attach one to it?
Yes it has an intercooler will it fit? No... I believe it would all have to be custom...
Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey,
I don't know if you want my opinion on that. I mean its up to you and what you want to do really.
That motor itself is decent but I can't tell you if you would feel like its worth the work and doing the computer swap with the wiring change.
I'd hope that someone here has done that swap and can tell you more about it than I can.
My friend has done a few dohc swaps before and they've turned out good.
For the time and price of the swap, you can find the whole car on craigslist and be done with it. Sell yours and buy the V8. Just opinions throwing around.
I'm happy with my v6 cause I own other high hp cars. I'm really thinking about keeping my v6 stock and buying a 2004 cobra like I want.
(sorry, went off in another direction)

If you want simple, just go with a turbo kit on your v6.
You can get a tuner, a turbo kit, some injectors and run 6 psi of boost and be happy. All your A/C stuff will still bolt up and you'll keep your sanity. LOL
But, if this is your only daily driver, i'd say find another car to mod, cause it'll be down for a long time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang