suspension and handling mods?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
suspension and handling mods??

I was wondering what everyone has found to be the best suspension parts to swap out and what else will help me with traction and handling? I'm looking to build a drag set-up but also want my car to handle good in corners and banks.
morthis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32
I was wondering what everyone has found to be the best suspension parts to swap out and what else will help me with traction and handling? I'm looking to build a drag set-up but also want my car to handle good in corners and banks.
Get coilovers all around, sway bars, k member, cc plates, strut brace, U and L control arms, subframe connectors, bushings, and some beefy tires.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: suspension and handling mods??

Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32 View Post
in the end you're gonna need to pick one or the other...a proper drag setup will shift weight diffferently then a corner car...plus the way you'll set up your alignment will be different and one good alignment for one style can empeed the other
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

in the end you're gonna need to pick one or the other...a proper drag setup will shift weight diffferently then a corner car...plus the way you'll set up your alignment will be different and one good alignment for one style can empeed the other
So what ur saying is I can't have a drag car that handles decent if there is a turn in the race? My main thing is that I want a car that will perform well in a straight away but also be able to take a corner and not keep going straight. This car wont be a straight drag strip car. Ill still be driving to detroit, port huron, flint, and around my home town.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
^^^^^^ This!

My 1/4 mile mustang feels like its floating when making a corner, but it hooks like a mf'er going straight *on 26x8.5x15 slicks* (1.69 60' time).

something in the middle can be accomplished though:
My 1990 supercharged stang hooks great with slicks at the 1/4 mile track (1.75 60' time *heavy*). Change to road tires and its ready to autoX
Mike SVOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SVOR

^^^^^^ This!

My 1/4 mile mustang feels like its floating when making a corner, but it hooks like a mf'er going straight *on 26x8.5x15 slicks* (1.69 60' time).

something in the middle can be accomplished though:
My 1990 supercharged stang hooks great with slicks at the 1/4 mile track (1.75 60' time *heavy*). Change to road tires and its ready to autoX
Your 1990, what times does she make on the 1/4 when u have the suspension for being in the middle? Does it affect your times?

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32

Your 1990, what times does she make on the 1/4 when u have the suspension for being in the middle? Does it affect your times?
Also what does ur other stang make in the 1/4 and what do u have under the hood of both?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Also what does ur other stang make in the 1/4 and what do u have under the hood of both?
This is my 1/4 mile stang. 1985 2.3 running 28 lbs of boost on pump gas. This was a 12.23 pass @ 115 mph IIRC
FourBangerSmackdown - YouTube

My 90 stang with the old 302 in it (now its a 351w with vortech SC)
1224 at 113 - YouTube
Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SVOR

This is my 1/4 mile stang. 1985 2.3 running 28 lbs of boost on pump gas. This was a 12.23 pass @ 115 mph IIRC
FourBangerSmackdown - YouTube

My 90 stang with the old 302 in it (now its a 351w with vortech SC)
1224 at 113 - YouTube
I like the set up u were talking about with your '90. What exactly do u have?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I like the set up u were talking about with your '90. What exactly do u have?
nothing special really

motorsport "C" springs, monroe gasmatic struts, poly swaybar link bushings, 245/45/17 98w (fronts), 275/40/17 98w (rears), Old tires that need to be replaced...Oh yea, and some caster/camber plates
Old 08-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i would choose one, drag strip or handling~ can help improve both wtih nice shocks/struts/springs/sway bars but much more you have to pick a battle cant have the best of both worlds.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
i would choose one, drag strip or handling~ can help improve both wtih nice shocks/struts/springs/sway bars but much more you have to pick a battle cant have the best of both worlds.
I'm gunna have to go handling. My girl loves it when I take those curves.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Lol sry that sounded dirty.... I ment my car when I said my girl. :/
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

might i reccomend the following since you want to carve a corner...it's my passion so i'm happy to help if you need anything specific asked on

-cut oem springs (1.25 coils off front and 1 coil off rear)
-GT rear sway bar (can be found off of any 94-04 GT...although i'd look for a solid bar from a 99-04 instead of the hollow 94-98 bar)
-sub fram connectors....AM is having a sale on a set of FL right now...LMR also carries decent priced standard lengths
-rear shock tower brace..you can buy one or do what i did and build one out of some spare tubing. (i used a rear panhard bar from an s197)
-front strut tower brace (you can buy a used one off of a 94-95 GT and it'll fit with minor modding)
-SS brake lines, and hawk pads (not suspension but if you start taking corners over and over your rubber lines will start to expand and you're gonna get a spongy feeling...not good at all. always invest in your brakes (i run goodridge g-stop lines from mossmuscle.com)

all in all you'll spend roughly $300-400 depending on how well your used parts finding skills are and you'll have a car that will take any corner no issue

of course tires play a huge roll in any type of aggressive driving, but that's a whole different chapter lol
Old 08-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
might i reccomend the following since you want to carve a corner...it's my passion so i'm happy to help if you need anything specific asked on

-cut oem springs (1.25 coils off front and 1 coil off rear)
-GT rear sway bar (can be found off of any 94-04 GT...although i'd look for a solid bar from a 99-04 instead of the hollow 94-98 bar)
-sub fram connectors....AM is having a sale on a set of FL right now...LMR also carries decent priced standard lengths
-rear shock tower brace..you can buy one or do what i did and build one out of some spare tubing. (i used a rear panhard bar from an s197)
-front strut tower brace (you can buy a used one off of a 94-95 GT and it'll fit with minor modding)
-SS brake lines, and hawk pads (not suspension but if you start taking corners over and over your rubber lines will start to expand and you're gonna get a spongy feeling...not good at all. always invest in your brakes (i run goodridge g-stop lines from mossmuscle.com)

all in all you'll spend roughly $300-400 depending on how well your used parts finding skills are and you'll have a car that will take any corner no issue

of course tires play a huge roll in any type of aggressive driving, but that's a whole different chapter lol
the previous owner installed air ride in the rear and raised the rear end to give that muscle look. also what are ss break lines? and will that tower brace clear say a 2003-2004 4.6 4v dohc supercharged engine? cuz right now thats the best bang for the buck to get the 600hp that i want. (if u have another idea im open for comments. im hear to learn and right now im like a sponge. lol)

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Also i dont have front shocks that work properly in the front. the previous idiot. i mean owner busted a lot of stuff. what would you suggest for front shocks if im going for handling and around 400-600-ish hp?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

if you're really wanting a 4v then you'd want a strut bar made for a cobra it'll wrap the m112...

as for the front if money is an issue i'd look into some tokico blues...they are the best bang for your buck shock imo...

why 600 hp though? as for the air ride system...i dislike them but that's personal preference...if he wanted a muscle car look there's better ways to get a proper stance that doesn't involve raising the body
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
if you're really wanting a 4v then you'd want a strut bar made for a cobra it'll wrap the m112...

as for the front if money is an issue i'd look into some tokico blues...they are the best bang for your buck shock imo...

why 600 hp though? as for the air ride system...i dislike them but that's personal preference...if he wanted a muscle car look there's better ways to get a proper stance that doesn't involve raising the body
The guy was an idiot. For example he spray foamed the drivers side headlight in instead of buying the headlight bracket for $30. I'm saying 600hp cuz I thought that was a safe number to want under ur hood. Do u think its too high or low?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

for a street car i think it's a bit high if you plan to really drive it alot...you could cut that in half and still have a ride you'd enjoy driving everywhere
Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
for a street car i think it's a bit high if you plan to really drive it alot...you could cut that in half and still have a ride you'd enjoy driving everywhere
Ya but it wuldnt be competative. I want something that will give the boys on woodward a run for their money. And there are already many cars here in lapeer that wuld dust me if I only had 300hp. I'm npt looking for something just fun. I want it to be able to win the race.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya but it wuldnt be competative. I want something that will give the boys on woodward a run for their money. And there are already many cars here in lapeer that wuld dust me if I only had 300hp. I'm npt looking for something just fun. I want it to be able to win the race.
you want a car to handle corners...you don't need a boat load of power to beat other cars in competitions like auto-x or road coarse...now if this was drag racing we'd be talking completely different suspension setups
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you want a car to handle corners...you don't need a boat load of power to beat other cars in competitions like auto-x or road coarse...now if this was drag racing we'd be talking completely different suspension setups
I'm thinking of dropping in the 4v dohc 4.6 v8. That looks like an awesome motor and base to build power. Right now I'm fixing what the idiot b4 me broke of the body (replacing the hood, fenders, etc) suspension will be my next mod. Then engine and drive train. I think imma swap in the 1994-5 3.8 supercoupe w/ the m90 (230hp, 350lb @ 4g) while I save for the v8. I've seen that 4v v8 go for about 5g for trans,motor, & clutch assembly all ready to go.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Also many of the races here in lapeer r drag races, so id want the 600+hp so I was decent at that kinda race. Most people here r too scared to race on curves. Also... if I'm wanting to drop in that v8 I shuld do the suspension for the cobra right?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
When you replace your suspension make sure to use at least gt parts not v6. The rates on the shocks and springs are higher to account for the extra wieght. Cobra front end parts may fit but the rear of an NE cobra is an IRS rear end and that would be a big swap
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12 View Post
When you replace your suspension make sure to use at least gt parts not v6. The rates on the shocks and springs are higher to account for the extra wieght. Cobra front end parts may fit but the rear of an NE cobra is an IRS rear end and that would be a big swap
an IRS is a direct swap pretty much...just pricey
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

an IRS is a direct swap pretty much...just pricey
How much will the irs cost? The irs will handle a hell of a lot better correct?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
A lot lol. You will have to find someone parting out a cobra and it will prolly be at least a few gs. I've heard an IRS can handle just as good as a straight axle with full built suspension and everything
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much will the irs cost? The irs will handle a hell of a lot better correct?
close to a grand on average...i've seen one for $700 once but it went quick
Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

close to a grand on average...i've seen one for $700 once but it went quick
Ok... how easy to install?

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Is bbk the best bang for the buck? If not, who is for supsension pieces?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

it's a couple hours worth of work...what kind of suspension do you want? you said in another thread you want 600 hp so you can compete..what kind of competitions are you talking about?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it's a couple hours worth of work...what kind of suspension do you want? you said in another thread you want 600 hp so you can compete..what kind of competitions are you talking about?
Street. There rnt any circle or that kinda track arouns here. Only drag. But I mostly compete basically f&f style. We block the road, then race.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

that's stupid...well you enjoy that F&F lifestyle.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
that's stupid...well you enjoy that F&F lifestyle.
So that's it?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So that's it?
yes...
Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yes...
There's no way u can tell me that u haven't raced someone on the street. Legally if u were even shiftinf fast and went 5 over and the other guy was accelerating also then u were racing. Diff from all the other idiots- I race on roads that no one drives on at 2-3am. And I have them blocked b4 the race. Just to make sure if something goes bad no one innocent is hurt. Only one that's racing.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
F & F style.. lol
Old 09-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey18
F & F style.. lol
Ya as in blocking off roads, a huge group of gugs racing, bets no lower than 1g.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya as in blocking off roads, a huge group of gugs racing, bets no lower than 1g.
i'm sorry thats still really stupid to me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang