Swapping transmission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Swapping transmission

So I have a 2001 V6 mustang and I was just wondering; is it worth swapping an auto transmission to a manual. My auto transmission jumps sometimes when going from first to second and sometimes it burns a little rubber in the process. So I'm going to need to swap the transmission soon anyways. I just wanted some opinions to see if it is worth the hassle.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Swapping transmission

Do you mean switching from an auto to a stick?

I think it's more a matter of preference, though I hear that manuals are slightly more economical. For some people, manuals are funner to drive, and you have a little extra control over your car. On the other hand, I've had friends tell me that they'd never buy a manual because they don't like the idea of doing extra work (AKA using the clutch and shifter,) while they drive, especially in heavy traffic. Also if your car jumps and jerks sometimes now, chances are that it will do so a little bit more if you switch to a manual; after all, unless it's flappy paddles, you'll have full control over shifting gears. And because we're only human, and not machines, some of your shifts might not be so smooth lol! You do get used to it, though. I've been driving a manual for almost a year, and don't even notice the slight jerking anymore.

I'm not sure if I answered your question haha! I guess go with whatever you feel more comfortable with Sorry to hear that your current trans is affecting your ride....

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I want to switch fro auto to stick when my tranny blows out on me. I know that when you drive a stick it jerks. But the jerks I'm getting here are like neck breakers lol. But I prefer a stick over auto anyday. I just want to know if it's worth the money I would spend on it :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Yes, I want to switch fro auto to stick when my tranny blows out on me. I know that when you drive a stick it jerks. But the jerks I'm getting here are like neck breakers lol. But I prefer a stick over auto anyday. I just want to know if it's worth the money I would spend on it :p
if you go to a tranny shop,,that may be a stuck accumalator or something not to expensive,,maybe a solenoid..I think the hard part of swapping,,would be the electronics,,and the computer,,i guess if you found everything out of another car it may not be too bad...Thats funny i love it when mine burns second and chirps 3rd and 4th,,its a auto,,lol..i think it sounds cool,,but i also drove a stick for 20 years,,they are alot of fun..
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Yes, I want to switch fro auto to stick when my tranny blows out on me. I know that when you drive a stick it jerks. But the jerks I'm getting here are like neck breakers lol.
That...sounds uncomfortable lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Gettig the computer and stuff.. Not worth it imo

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What if I get all the components. Like the tranny and computer. It would only be about 1500 right? Then the cost of the swap.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you get a used manual.. A new on will be much more

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

I personally am against changing big parts like that.. I'd rather just sell the car and buy a manual, or live with your auto. Who knows your trans might not need a full rebuild so could be cheaper

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'm thinking it would be much more cost effective to buy the whole car manual. I'm thinking to just rebuild the transmission before it gets completely shot. Or maybe replace it with a used one. Anyone have a clue on how much it would cost to rebuild an auto transmission in California?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
It's actually not too bad swapping in a 5 speed. Hard part is finding a good used tranny. Keep an eye out at local junkyards for your pedals and flywheel etc etc.

Might even be able to use your auto computer(I'm using my factory auto computer still) but I don't know about the newer cars.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking also. It's my first car. I want to keep it as log as I can. Bumps, scratches, dents, and everything. I love my car. Just want to make
It gunner to drive. I got a friend who I met at school that does all sorts of engine swaps and transmission swaps. But he does mainly imports. The hard part would be to find a good transmission. I don't know much about manual trannys. I know I'll need the transmission itself. What else would I need? I'll look around to see if I can use my own computer or if I need to find my own :p
Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893
I was thinking also. It's my first car. I want to keep it as log as I can. Bumps, scratches, dents, and everything. I love my car. Just want to make
It gunner to drive. I got a friend who I met at school that does all sorts of engine swaps and transmission swaps. But he does mainly imports. The hard part would be to find a good transmission. I don't know much about manual trannys. I know I'll need the transmission itself. What else would I need? I'll look around to see if I can use my own computer or if I need to find my own :p
U will need the tranny(with belhousing), clutch & flywheel, Driveshaft, clutchfork(may already be with tranny), shifter, shifter sub boot, cross member, wireharness, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, pedal assembly, and some other little stuff.
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've heard you need a manual ecu. Manuals are fun to drive. You wanna make your car a lot more fun to drive? Don't bother replacing and having to buy other crap with a tranny. Rebuild and go buy a tuner. It will helps noticeably on manuals, and a crap ton on autos. Helps your gear shifting so much. I am betting you'd feel amazed. And will have a lot of fun pushing the peddle to the metal.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Oh and If you do rebuild your trans.. Take it to a good well repped mechanic who won't cut corners. When it comes to big things like a transmission.. Corners don't need to be cut.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang