Getting the Pony up and running. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 16
Getting the Pony up and running.

Ok so I originally bought my v6 off of Craigslist from some guy with 116k on the car he told me everything was fine with the car and I find out the power steering is completely shot. With me being a college student I have not been able to get the car in the shop for repairs. That was until my parents volunteered to help me with the financial burden of getting the car up and running again.

Now this car has really been sitting since January I have a new rack and pinion tie end rods high pressure hose and return hose all for the power steering. A few other problems are now that the dash light is out and I can't figure out what the problem is and also the car when put in drive will not actually move anywhere. However when put in reverse it will go back but it takes a while for it to move. Now the car is going in to the mechanic next week is there anything specific I should ask them to do since I am having these problems and because it has been sitting since January?
1nkred1ble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Re: Getting the Pony up and running.

sounds like the tranny needs an overhaul
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 525
Re: Getting the Pony up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nkred1ble View Post
Ok so I originally bought my v6 off of Craigslist from some guy with 116k on the car he told me everything was fine with the car and I find out the power steering is completely shot. With me being a college student I have not been able to get the car in the shop for repairs. That was until my parents volunteered to help me with the financial burden of getting the car up and running again.

Now this car has really been sitting since January I have a new rack and pinion tie end rods high pressure hose and return hose all for the power steering. A few other problems are now that the dash light is out and I can't figure out what the problem is and also the car when put in drive will not actually move anywhere. However when put in reverse it will go back but it takes a while for it to move. Now the car is going in to the mechanic next week is there anything specific I should ask them to do since I am having these problems and because it has been sitting since January?
probably tranny problems,,but for the heck of it check the tranny fluid,,sometimes when its low,,it will pull in rev before drive,,

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
probably tranny problems,,but for the heck of it check the tranny fluid,,sometimes when its low,,it will pull in rev before drive,,
If theres anyway to report him about a bad sale on craigs list i would,,that way,, maybe he will be flag about selling defective stuff
__________________
mymustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

probably tranny problems,,but for the heck of it check the tranny fluid,,sometimes when its low,,it will pull in rev before drive,,

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------



If theres anyway to report him about a bad sale on craigs list i would,,that way,, maybe he will be flag about selling defective stuff
I'll definitely look into it thanks for the help
1nkred1ble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

probably tranny problems,,but for the heck of it check the tranny fluid,,sometimes when its low,,it will pull in rev before drive,,

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------



If theres anyway to report him about a bad sale on craigs list i would,,that way,, maybe he will be flag about selling defective stuff
Yep sounds like he sold you a car with a shot transmission.
__________________
"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

Yep sounds like he sold you a car with a shot transmission.
Yeah and a shot power steering unit
1nkred1ble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nkred1ble

Yeah and a shot power steering unit
Yep gotta watch out for ******s on Craigslist. Sounds like you should have checked everything over a little better I guess. Live and learn
__________________
"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Always have the car inspected by a mechanic if you're not buying from a reputable car dealer. Even then its a good idea.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:57 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.