turbo 3.8 v6 or swap to (turbo??) 4v dohc 4.6 v8??? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to 2Greeny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
I know the auburn T-Lok can hold near 500 rwhp.... Just saying... So I've heard.
I've got that one..... Hasn't broken yet on me but I'm pretty close to stock.....
2 Subs, New speakers all around
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
July '12 Mustang of the Month
2Greeny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny27

I've got that one..... Hasn't broken yet on me but I'm pretty close to stock.....
U do the install yourself?
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: turbo 3.8 v6 or swap to (turbo??) 4v dohc 4.6 v8???

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
95% people won't....it's not as fun to install gears as you'd think.
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like a pain...
Old 09-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to 2Greeny7
Quote:

Noooooooo way! Lol sorry but it sounds and looks super complex and I didn't want to mess **** up
2 Subs, New speakers all around
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
July '12 Mustang of the Month
2Greeny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Hey. Quick question. Did the 1995 v6 mustang come with the rear anti sway bar? Mines got one and I didn't install it.
morthis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32 View Post
Hey. Quick question. Did the 1995 v6 mustang come with the rear anti sway bar? Mines got one and I didn't install it.
yes 94-95 mustangs had them...usually a hollow bar
Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

yes 94-95 mustangs had them...usually a hollow bar
Ok just making sure cuz now I see this(pic) its got a radiator that's not spose to be in here. More ****ed up ****.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120901_165949.png
Views:	186
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	66621

Name:	ForumRunner_20120901_165931.png
Views:	131
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	66620
Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Is the hollow bar good or do j need to swap to a solid bar?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

how do you know it's not the right radiator?

as for which is better a solid bar is better, but a hollow bar is better then nothing. honestly unless you just come across a cheap used one i wouldn't worry about it right now
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
how do you know it's not the right radiator?

as for which is better a solid bar is better, but a hollow bar is better then nothing. honestly unless you just come across a cheap used one i wouldn't worry about it right now
Can u zoom in on the photo?( not being smart ***. Its a legit question). The mustang I got my new hood off of has a radiator in it. And it is just under that red metal piece this radiator is attached to. Also the diot had to cut a lot off the fans base and make custom brackets for this radiator to work.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

well if the radiator worries you then you can usually find the oem ones in stock at advance or autozone for pretty cheap
Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well if the radiator worries you then you can usually find the oem ones in stock at advance or autozone for pretty cheap
The only reason its worrying me is cuz the engines over heating and obviously this radiator isn't doing its job.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I really think you should do the exterior first. Then. Find an old 4.6L single port engine and do the full swap and do a PI swap at the same time. You will be looking at 300 engine power because of higher compression ratios.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I really think you should do the exterior first. Then. Find an old 4.6L single port engine and do the full swap and do a PI swap at the same time. You will be looking at 300 engine power because of higher compression ratios.
a PI swapped sn95 4.6 with bolt ons would be in the 260-270 rwhp range in most cases
Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Morthis...

With the damage to your car I wouldn't sink a dime into it. The damage is pretty nuts if it needs a tweaked k member. I owned a 94 v6 and I loved it. Best thing that ever happened to me was when I got rid of it and got into the gt. I know its easy to get attached but if you really want to get into the go fast mustang game, get into a gt. Start with a clean car that has never been crashed and go from there. A true all rounder build at even 500hp is a 20k$ proposition with a gt. Engine, driveline, blower, chassis, suspension brakes, seats. It's all expensive. 4k for engine internals and head work if ur lucky, a beefed tremec tr500/600 or t56 trans is another 1k-2500. Drive shaft and new gears / diff another 1-2k, 31 spline conversion 500$, blower ~5K conservatively, full set of springs, shocks/struts, rear control arms, (front control arms probably), new K member, subframe connectors and torque boxes another 1600$-2200$. A set of seats to hold you in place, 1000$. Set of proper brakes with lines is a minimum of 2000$ new set of wheels and tires are another major chunk of change. and you still don't have a cage or touched the exterior. And all of that is assuming you can do all the work yourself. If not you can multiply everything by 1.5.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

a PI swapped sn95 4.6 with bolt ons would be in the 260-270 rwhp range in most cases
Yep 300 crank

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Ya I'd just get another six or GT
Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Morthis...

With the damage to your car I wouldn't sink a dime into it. The damage is pretty nuts if it needs a tweaked k member. I owned a 94 v6 and I loved it. Best thing that ever happened to me was when I got rid of it and got into the gt. I know its easy to get attached but if you really want to get into the go fast mustang game, get into a gt. Start with a clean car that has never been crashed and go from there. A true all rounder build at even 500hp is a 20k$ proposition with a gt. Engine, driveline, blower, chassis, suspension brakes, seats. It's all expensive. 4k for engine internals and head work if ur lucky, a beefed tremec tr500/600 or t56 trans is another 1k-2500. Drive shaft and new gears / diff another 1-2k, 31 spline conversion 500$, blower ~5K conservatively, full set of springs, shocks/struts, rear control arms, (front control arms probably), new K member, subframe connectors and torque boxes another 1600$-2200$. A set of seats to hold you in place, 1000$. Set of proper brakes with lines is a minimum of 2000$ new set of wheels and tires are another major chunk of change. and you still don't have a cage or touched the exterior. And all of that is assuming you can do all the work yourself. If not you can multiply everything by 1.5.
i agree the car isn't worth fixing...drive it as is till you can find a decent sixxer or fox

Quote:
Yep 300 crank

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Ya I'd just get another six or GT
stop using crank hp lol..we're car guys not commercials
Old 09-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i agree the car isn't worth fixing...drive it as is till you can find a decent sixxer or fox

stop using crank hp lol..we're car guys not commercials
I know but some people rear crank some people read RWHP. So it just depends, this thread has been mostly crank power numbers so I stuck to it.
But I agree just to get the car looking good again,..
2-3k in paint
2k in body work and ur already in more than the car is worth.
Unless it has some sentimental value I'd get a 5.0 FoxBody...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know but some people rear crank some people read RWHP. So it just depends, this thread has been mostly crank power numbers so I stuck to it.
But I agree just to get the car looking good again,..
2-3k in paint
2k in body work and ur already in more than the car is worth.
Unless it has some sentimental value I'd get a 5.0 FoxBody...
I junked my 1982 firebird trans am. Blown 305 and the trans was gone. I regret it every day. I've had my first car smashed. And then my first classic muscle (the ta) so imma fix up my dream car. I've got a solid base to work with and I really culd care less about how much the cars worth. Every person on here has gone way over what the car wuld ever be worth. So I am going to stick to this car. Sry guys but I'm not Gunn regret getting rid of this one.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32

I junked my 1982 firebird trans am. Blown 305 and the trans was gone. I regret it every day. I've had my first car smashed. And then my first classic muscle (the ta) so imma fix up my dream car. I've got a solid base to work with and I really culd care less about how much the cars worth. Every person on here has gone way over what the car wuld ever be worth. So I am going to stick to this car. Sry guys but I'm not Gunn regret getting rid of this one.
Well I know I'm 5-6k into mine on just the exterior and a sound system....

I'm saving my money after my
H/C/I
Tune
LTs X-Pipe

To see what happens before I head off to college.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I know I'm 5-6k into mine on just the exterior and a sound system....

I'm saving my money after my
H/C/I
Tune
LTs X-Pipe

To see what happens before I head off to college.
Right now img getting new doors and fenders and stuff but that's all from junk yards. After its all back to complete stock body I'm doing my performance upgrades. Mechanically this car has stuff wrong cuz... the odometer has stopped at 183xxx. So its a high milage engine. Obviously. So of course things r gunna go wrong. And if I bought a new car id still be finding things the previous idiot broke or tried to fix the wrong way.

I've got all my exterior picked out already. she will be smokin when she's done. Not literally! *runs and knocks on a tree* lol but ya. My love with cars is driving and competition so imma get the mechanical the way I want it b4 I do the body kit, paint job, etc.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Right now img getting new doors and fenders and stuff but that's all from junk yards. After its all back to complete stock body I'm doing my performance upgrades. Mechanically this car has stuff wrong cuz... the odometer has stopped at 183xxx. So its a high milage engine. Obviously. So of course things r gunna go wrong. And if I bought a new car id still be finding things the previous idiot broke or tried to fix the wrong way.

I've got all my exterior picked out already. she will be smokin when she's done. Not literally! *runs and knocks on a tree* lol but ya. My love with cars is driving and competition so imma get the mechanical the way I want it b4 I do the body kit, paint job, etc.
Just do a GT body or Cobra body nothing more. They look rice with to much...
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

This is a joke right? Ur talking about dumping huge money into a car that might not even pass a saftey inspection. That frame damage is a huge liability. I get loving ur car. Trust me. I cried like a baby when my last two cars were gone. But irrationally dumping money into a car that isn't worth it is insane. With the investment you would make just getting this certified and in safe clean condition you could probably get into a sweet gt or possibly a cobra.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
This is a joke right? Ur talking about dumping huge money into a car that might not even pass a saftey inspection. That frame damage is a huge liability. I get loving ur car. Trust me. I cried like a baby when my last two cars were gone. But irrationally dumping money into a car that isn't worth it is insane. With the investment you would make just getting this certified and in safe clean condition you could probably get into a sweet gt or possibly a cobra.
Dude what color blue is that? Looks like mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1712301814.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	66698  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm driving the car now. Most damage is the body which does nothing for performance. And the big problems r that it needs a front end alignment and front struts. Ok soooo bout $140. The rest will be swapped anyway since I'm dropping the supercoupe with the m90 in her. So radiator and all that is getting swapped. There is no rust on this car and she drives great right now. Yesterday a kid made a smart *** remark in his civic. And I culd hear his lil turbo. Blew him outa the water and I only shifted at 3g. (Granted he had 2 screaming girls in his car) I feel good bout that since stock me and him are about same hp. Sunce these 3.8 suck in the stock areana.

But everyone at the tracks and all my uncles who r drag racers all say I have a good base to start with. And ill be swapping out ALL of the suspension piece by piece for the cobra pieces anyway so the k-member doesn't really matter. It'll be swapped. Also there is no chassi damage. Just damage to the k-mamber. So ya.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
interesting thread. goodluck on your project my good man. so whats the next part your going to fix on her ?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just do a GT body or Cobra body nothing more. They look rice with to much...
My next car will be a 3000gt vr4 or a 300zx (tt) so I really don't care about if it looks rice or not. Body wise I'm doing only what I want. Idc what others think. But body isn't my focus. It stopped being my focuz when a ***** backed outa my parents driveway straight into my car and destroyed the body lines in my door.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay
interesting thread. goodluck on your project my good man. so whats the next part your going to fix on her ?
Suspension is my focus right now and dropping a 1995 supercoupe engine. (The single porte 3.8 w/m90) a local junk yard has one for 500. Buddy of mine told me to offer 350 and if they say no, to find a different one suprcoupe engine somewhere else and pay 350 or less for it.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

My next car will be a 3000gt vr4 or a 300zx (tt) so I really don't care about if it looks rice or not. Body wise I'm doing only what I want. Idc what others think. But body isn't my focus. It stopped being my focuz when a ***** backed outa my parents driveway straight into my car and destroyed the body lines in my door.

looks like you need a new head panel to hold your head light in.

You should just sell this mustang and buy the 300zx (tt) imo.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude what color blue is that? Looks like mine
Was just gonna ask u haha. Mine is just a blaze blue plastic dip. I change it up every couple months. Yours looks good. What color code is yours?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120902_103456.png
Views:	122
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	66699   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120902_103544.png
Views:	109
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	66700  

Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm driving the car now. Most damage is the body which does nothing for performance. And the big problems r that it needs a front end alignment and front struts. Ok soooo bout $140. The rest will be swapped anyway since I'm dropping the supercoupe with the m90 in her. So radiator and all that is getting swapped. There is no rust on this car and she drives great right now. Yesterday a kid made a smart *** remark in his civic. And I culd hear his lil turbo. Blew him outa the water and I only shifted at 3g. (Granted he had 2 screaming girls in his car) I feel good bout that since stock me and him are about same hp. Sunce these 3.8 suck in the stock areana.

But everyone at the tracks and all my uncles who r drag racers all say I have a good base to start with. And ill be swapping out ALL of the suspension piece by piece for the cobra pieces anyway so the k-member doesn't really matter. It'll be swapped. Also there is no chassi damage. Just damage to the k-mamber. So ya.
Not a stock civic if its turbocharged and if it is there is no way u would have beat it. 3k rpm shifting means your just about making 115hp at shift. Gl with ur build. I'd sell and get the 300zx.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not a stock civic if its turbocharged and if it is there is no way u would have beat it. 3k rpm shifting means your just about making 115hp at shift. Gl with ur build. I'd sell and get the 300zx.
+1
Old 09-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ik it wasn't stock. Hence the I can hear the turbo. Hp is an equation torque is a measurement. I was at about 180-190 torque. W/ those shifts. His car stock has- I believe- bout 120 torque at 6g. I also had the advantage of weight. And as I said it was a small turbo. Prolly maxed out at 6psi or 8. By the sound of its whine. He probably had it at 4psi. Lapeer kids think that's a lot.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Also I've decide I'm not going the 4.6. I will be turboing the v6 that I'm going to be dropping in. Found a guy that's got a 3.8 is making 12.13's on the 1/4 with 12psi. On v6mustang.net
So imma stay the v6 route. Thanks all for your input.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ik it wasn't stock. Hence the I can hear the turbo. Hp is an equation torque is a measurement. I was at about 180-190 torque. W/ those shifts. His car stock has- I believe- bout 120 torque at 6g. I also had the advantage of weight. And as I said it was a small turbo. Prolly maxed out at 6psi or 8. By the sound of its whine. He probably had it at 4psi. Lapeer kids think that's a lot.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Also I've decide I'm not going the 4.6. I will be turboing the v6 that I'm going to be dropping in. Found a guy that's got a 3.8 is making 12.13's on the 1/4 with 12psi. On v6mustang.net
So imma stay the v6 route. Thanks all for your input.
Was his motor built?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey18

Was his motor built?
His motor was making 350hp and I think 340ft/lb@4g.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang