no rear sway bar? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
no rear sway bar?

is it true ford did not fit our 99-04 V6s with a sway bar? if they didnt, could i just pull one off of a 99-04 GT and would it bolt right up? what would i need to make it fit? are the sway bars on a GT larger than the ones on a V6? would the front ones fit as well? sorry for all the questions, i just want to figure this stuff out now that a have a job and money haha
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: no rear sway bar?

your correct you don't have a rear...ford didn't use them on sixxers

it's a direct bolt on and you'll just need two bolts..you already have two on your car holding down brake lines...use can use one of those bolts to get the correct size for the two you do need.

you can use a rear sway off of any 94-04 GT....there are two types hollow and solid rear sways..you'll know which is which when you hold them. pass for the hollow ones and buy a solid for best results..i bought mind for $30 off of a salvage yard

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

oh and the fronts are the same basically...there were a few different sizes over the years..in the center of the front bar is a colored dot...if you find it the color will give you the size of the bar

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

here's mine btw...i gave it a coat of engine enamel just to seal it off from the elements...i mean why not right lol

1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
your correct you don't have a rear...ford didn't use them on sixxers

it's a direct bolt on and you'll just need two bolts..you already have two on your car holding down brake lines...use can use one of those bolts to get the correct size for the two you do need.

you can use a rear sway off of any 94-04 GT....there are two types hollow and solid rear sways..you'll know which is which when you hold them. pass for the hollow ones and buy a solid for best results..i bought mind for $30 off of a salvage yard

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

oh and the fronts are the same basically...there were a few different sizes over the years..in the center of the front bar is a colored dot...if you find it the color will give you the size of the bar

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

here's mine btw...i gave it a coat of engine enamel just to seal it off from the elements...i mean why not right lol

looks good man. thanks for the help. im going to take a trip over tho the scrap yards and purchase one. but on the fronts do you know which size was the largest? like what years?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

it wasn't really a year by year size difference...they just used different ones for different batches.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Rear sway bars help with cornering but w/o one you'll hook better in a straight line if you have LSD or 8.8.
I've broken two with a bolt on 95 GT. get an aftermarket one if you must have one.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Rear sway bars help with cornering but w/o one you'll hook better in a straight line if you have LSD or 8.8.
I've broken two with a bolt on 95 GT. get an aftermarket one if you must have one.
Dude I have a v6, haha I'm not going to be breaking anything with 190 horsepower lol
Old 09-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll

Dude I have a v6, haha I'm not going to be breaking anything with 190 horsepower lol
Up to you, if I were going to take the time and effort to improve something I'd get the best available is all. I'm sure a GT one would be an upgrade though....
Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
it wasn't really a year by year size difference...they just used different ones for different batches.
Do you think all 94-04 rear sway bars are the same? Or do new edge GT have the big ones?

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Up to you, if I were going to take the time and effort to improve something I'd get the best available is all. I'm sure a GT one would be an upgrade though....
Yeah i got you, I'm just on a budget right now an I don't really want to do anything crazy to my V6

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

At least for the time being
Old 09-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Deadspot most sn95's had a hollow rear sways. was yours solid or hollow?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Would swear it was solid but that was over 10 years ago, and I know I never saw the second one.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Would swear it was solid but that was over 10 years ago, and I know I never saw the second one.
could of been solid....ford was never good at keeping it straight lol
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

could of been solid....ford was never good at keeping it straight lol
Ford don't really care about v6 mustangs haha
Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
Ford don't really care about v6 mustangs haha
well they do and they don't....honestly ford didn't think performance until 2011 IMO...but they did at least make parts interchangable and that was nice lol.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
well they do and they don't....honestly ford didn't think performance until 2011 IMO...but they did at least make parts interchangable and that was nice lol.
very true, the car is very easy to work on. But im just used to most cars these days come stock with sway bars you know? I guess im just too young haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang