storm damage on mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
storm damage on mustang

I had to evacuate for my job i was away for five days. When i came back i had water on my cars floorboards. I took out the carpet a while back, so thats how i was able to see it. It looks like its comimg from the fire wall where the drivers side is. Theres black rubber like insolation there seems to keep the cab from heating up from heat from the motor. Any ideas what to do here?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Re: storm damage on mustang

Do you know how deep the flood waters got? Water markings? I'm not a mechanic but Ive a friend who specializes in Mustangs and I can tell/ask him. Have you tried starting it, he'll ask that I know? Oh yeah! Have you called your insurance co.?
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Idk i wasnt there. I cant tell you if it was high water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Road Trip!

It was behind the pedals where i seen the water line. It was that rubber patting to protect the inside from moisture. So yeah the car was with water. From the water being high... next time im parking my car where i want to on the high ground....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120902_172627.png
Views:	106
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	66736  
Old 09-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I apologize for not getting back to you, I've been down with the flu! I'll give him a call, he should be back from honeymoon. I'll pm you if he wants to talk to you personally. Have you already spoken to someone at a shop or a Ford dealership? And have you tried starting it yet?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Road Trip!

I havent talked to anyone...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Sorry to hear, Blackedout that makes me sad man.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Road Trip!

This was a good while back like three to four weeks ago. Only had water in my car... no big

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Just trying to pinpoint how it got in my car
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm sorry I"ve not gotten back with you. Ive been waiting for him to return my call. He said he'd left his phone at home. Anyway, he said to apologize to you and hoped that you,ve spoken to a certified mechanic in the meantime. This is what he said. He didn't try starting his car while it was wet, did he? I told him no, not since I last spoke to you. I told him of the water that was on floorboard of car and of the markings. He said the water can get in many ways. The doors if weatherstripping is old. The grommets in the firewall all though it"s made to keep it out, vents. It depends on the depth of water...

His main concern was the electrical damages due to getting wet! As well as the damage to the engine if you tried starting it while it was wet. Also all the crip and crap that in the flood waters. He said if you haven't already had it towed to a Certified Ford mechanic, to do so. This is all based on you having not started it. Whether you dried it out. He was talking more to himself or thinking out loud, than talking to me. He said without his being there to look at it himself, its hard to say. Just too many variables. He said he wishes he could be more help! He really loves these cars. Dang I'm sorry it took so long!

I'm sorry,

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

WoW!! I just read your text... lucky you..
Old 09-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Its good. The car. When i said flood i meant like maybe 6 inches if the ditches flooded. My boss told me that the water didnt get high i dont know how true that is but oh well. Im going to see what i can doo as far as insulating the wires on the floor bored you know the wires that run on the drivers side that goes to the rear of the car just to be safe. I have no eletrical problems tho...
Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If it sat in any standing water and the rear end was submerged you need to change the rear diff fluid. The rear diff will shred if there's any water in it.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Good to know. Why exactly does that happen?

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

My bad i know why. Where would the water find a way to get in there?

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

And how do you change the rear end fluid????
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And how do you change the rear end fluid????
It's easy. Take all the bolts off the rear of the pumpkin. (10 If memory serves) crack the old silicone gasket and use a catch can to catch the fluid. spray everything down with lots of brake clean and wipe out as much of the residue as possible. Remove all the old gasket from both the rear cover and the mounting face of the diff. I use a wire wheel on a small hand dremmel. Use a permatex black silicone gasket maker to make a new gasket. Use most of a tube of it. A thick gasket isn't a bad thing. Just make sure it's even. Then remove the fill plug from the back of the diff near where the drive shaft connects. The plug will be dirty so clean it with more brake clean because it's magnetic and grabs little shavings. You fill it with 1 bottle of friction modifiers and then fill it with rear diff fluid (either 75w90 or 75w140) check your owners manual or the metal tag attached to 2 of the 10 case bolts) it takes roughly 2 bottles. Replace the fill plug. Spray down any overflow and wipe it down. Give the gasket at least an hour to set before driving.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Road Trip!

It would lock up if there were no oil right?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
It would lock up if there were no oil right?
Probably just break.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang