What Should I Do to My Mustang!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hey guys so im new here at mustang evolution and im really wanting to improve my mustang both inside and out. A couple of things i really want to get are dual exhaust and a cold air intake but im not sure where to star with these things, how much theyd cost, etc. I dont really know too much in-depth info on cars and any help would be appreciated! So what do you think i should do to it and how much would it cost, cause right now im little tight for cash but im really hoping that wont stop me too much!

Edit: its my understanding that dual exhaust increases hp and mpg? What else does it do? And if you suggest anything for performance could you tell me what that part would do? Thanks so much!

Edit2: its a 2000 convertible btw
Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Hey man check out Americanmuscle.com and with the dual exhaust, if u keep the "y" pipe than it's not much of a performance upgrade as it is for look and sound. You'll get more performance if u switch to and "x" or "h" pipe and then duals.
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh cool thanks man! So it seems to me that dual exhaust keeps the y and true dual switches over to x or h?

And whats the best type of affordable dual? Flowmaser, pypes, etc.?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly but I've heard u lose a little bit of torque when you switch to duals. And price wise check out Americanmuscle and jegs or summit racing have cat backs for like 250$
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
buy 2 flowmaster 40's, some chrome tips from summit racing, get an x pipe or an H pipe ( h pipe sounds better on a v6 IMO) then take it to ur local muffler shop and tell them you want to make ur car a dual. they should be able to hook u up some pipes to make it happen. or u can buy a catback from a gt.

oh and welcome
sweet sixxer

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Region: California
Re: What Should I Do to My Mustang!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritter View Post
Oh cool thanks man! So it seems to me that dual exhaust keeps the y and true dual switches over to x or h?

And whats the best type of affordable dual? Flowmaser, pypes, etc.?
The best way to figure out what you want is go onto youtube and start looking up dozens of different exhaust set ups, then find your favorite that fits your budget.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
buy 2 flowmaster 40's, some chrome tips from summit racing, get an x pipe or an H pipe ( h pipe sounds better on a v6 IMO) then take it to ur local muffler shop and tell them you want to make ur car a dual. they should be able to hook u up some pipes to make it happen. or u can buy a catback from a gt.

oh and welcome
sweet sixxer
how much do you think all that stuff would cost (excluding the labor at the the shop since clearly that will vary way more than the parts). And thanks man, I really appreciate the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The best way to figure out what you want is go onto youtube and start looking up dozens of different exhaust set ups, then find your favorite that fits your budget.
Sounds like a plan dude, I'll start doing that now and let you guys know what I think I'm looking at and maybe you can give me some feedback!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to MACh237 Send a message via Skype™ to MACh237

Here a video of mine! Enjoy!

BTW: WELCOME!
- 2012 Aldo Beel Leather Shoes (Daily Ride)
MACh237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamelot314 View Post
Here a video of mine! Enjoy!

BTW: WELCOME!
Thanks man! I took a look at the video and it's for off-road. I'm looking to keep mine street legal so it can still be a badass on the streets ! And thanks for the welcome!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to MACh237 Send a message via Skype™ to MACh237

Quote:
Thanks man! I took a look at the video and it's for off-road. I'm looking to keep mine street legal so it can still be a badass on the streets ! And thanks for the welcome!
Then just keep the cats and you`l be fine!
- 2012 Aldo Beel Leather Shoes (Daily Ride)
MACh237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritter

how much do you think all that stuff would cost (excluding the labor at the the shop since clearly that will vary way more than the parts). And thanks man, I really appreciate the welcome!

Sounds like a plan dude, I'll start doing that now and let you guys know what I think I'm looking at and maybe you can give me some feedback!
Got mine put on for $550 with keeping the Y pipe but I'm gonna get an X in a few weeks and was quoted $250 with labor
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamelot314 View Post
Then just keep the cats and you`l be fine!
I'm thinking about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post

oh and welcome
sweet sixxer
Thrusher Mufflers - $34 x2 = $68

Turndown Tips - $13 x2 = $26

H-Pipe (Debating on this or Divorced Pipes) - $140

looks like it's going to be about $232 plus whatever the shop charges, you guys think those parts look like they'll work together and do they look like good choices? Thanks guys!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

i'd save some cash and buy two Thrush Welded mufflers over the flow 40's...you're talking $39 each vs $75 each

i reccomended an exhaust sticky for the section so these types of threads would be made easier with a link, but it doesn't seem to work out that way.
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking car, you can make a silver stang look pretty badass! Definitely one of my favorite colors on a stang other than my blue

Exhaust and a CAI are great first mods, those were the first 2 I did to my stang.

Pick up a less expensive CAI from American Muscle or Ebay...the Bomz racing CAI is a decent product and if you want to replace the filter with a K&N you could.
The American Racing unit is ~$75 and is decent as well. I've had the CAI for over 3 years now and it's doing great.

As far as exhaust, your options are almost endless. Let's dissect the list of products you have up there. The Flowmasters are a decent muffler, sound good, 2 chamber, a pretty common muffler amongst us sixer guys. I will say though that the Dynomax Thrush mufflers sound decent on the v6's too and are half the price..just something to think about.

The turndown tips are a good choice...I think they work best with the stock v6 bumper that doesn't have the exhaust cutouts. The only drawback to using chrome is that it will most likely rust after a couple years, so generally stainless is preferred.

As far as the h-pipe, that's not a bad choice however it's for a 5l v8 car, so you'd have to know that the pipes will bolt up to your stock headers.

Also, check with a couple exhaust shops and get quotes on running divorced pipes to your mufflers and then to your turndown tips. Doing that will get your true duals and might be cheaper than buying a midpipe.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l o/r X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros l

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0 / 11 GT500 R.I.P.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking car, you can make a silver stang look pretty badass! Definitely one of my favorite colors on a stang other than my blue

Exhaust and a CAI are great first mods, those were the first 2 I did to my stang.

Pick up a less expensive CAI from American Muscle or Ebay...the Bomz racing CAI is a decent product and if you want to replace the filter with a K&N you could.
The American Racing unit is ~$75 and is decent as well. I've had the CAI for over 3 years now and it's doing great.

As far as exhaust, your options are almost endless. Let's dissect the list of products you have up there. The Flowmasters are a decent muffler, sound good, 2 chamber, a pretty common muffler amongst us sixer guys. I will say though that the Dynomax Thrush mufflers sound decent on the v6's too and are half the price..just something to think about.

The turndown tips are a good choice...I think they work best with the stock v6 bumper that doesn't have the exhaust cutouts. The only drawback to using chrome is that it will most likely rust after a couple years, so generally stainless is preferred.

As far as the h-pipe, that's not a bad choice however it's for a 5l v8 car, so you'd have to know that the pipes will bolt up to your stock headers.

Also, check with a couple exhaust shops and get quotes on running divorced pipes to your mufflers and then to your turndown tips. Doing that will get your true duals and might be cheaper than buying a midpipe.
Hey thanks for that reply man it really helped a lot im about to go look at those mufflers and find the right h pipe (i was at my friends house so i was in a bit of a rush). But not to sound like an idiot (though i may well be one) what do you mean by divorced pipes to my mufflers and then down to my tips? Im not 100% familiar with too much under cars but i thought the h pipes would run from the mufflers to the turndown tips, definitely correct me if im wrong though.

Also for CAIs i was looking at some on american muscle and i saw them ranging from $70 to $300, is there really that much a difference between a $300 one and a $70 one?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey thanks for that reply man it really helped a lot im about to go look at those mufflers and find the right h pipe (i was at my friends house so i was in a bit of a rush). But not to sound like an idiot (though i may well be one) what do you mean by divorced pipes to my mufflers and then down to my tips? Im not 100% familiar with too much under cars but i thought the h pipes would run from the mufflers to the turndown tips, definitely correct me if im wrong though
give me a second...i have pics of every setup i've run lol

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

there's three types of dual setups our cars run...a Y pipe setup that is cheaper to run but more restrictive and quieter...a divorced setup with means from each manifold to the tailpipes is it's own tube not connecting to the other side in any way...and finally a setup running a midpipe (i.e. x, h, or PC) which means the two tubes from each manifold is now connected in the center

ok so right now this is my current setup...stock cats...mac procamber...and 2.5" mandrel bent tubing out the back

(not the prettiest tubing from the cats to the PC but i had to have it fabbed because it was used before i bought it)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey thanks for that reply man it really helped a lot im about to go look at those mufflers and find the right h pipe (i was at my friends house so i was in a bit of a rush). But not to sound like an idiot (though i may well be one) what do you mean by divorced pipes to my mufflers and then down to my tips? Im not 100% familiar with too much under cars but i thought the h pipes would run from the mufflers to the turndown tips, definitely correct me if im wrong though.

Also for CAIs i was looking at some on american muscle and i saw them ranging from $70 to $300, is there really that much a difference between a $300 one and a $70 one?
No problem, glad we can help.

The divorced pipes basically do the same thing that the h-pipe does, but can cost less. They're basically an h-pipe without the connecting section.

So you'll have your headers off your engine, then your h-pipe or divorced pipes, then the mufflers, and finally your tips, in that order.

The CAI's don't do much performance wise so I wouldn't get crazy and spend a lot on one. Like I said before the Bomz Ebay CAI or the $75 AM one will do.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l o/r X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros l

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0 / 11 GT500 R.I.P.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

No problem, glad we can help.

The divorced pipes basically do the same thing that the h-pipe does, but can cost less. They're basically an h-pipe without the connecting section.

So you'll have your headers off your engine, then your h-pipe or divorced pipes, then the mufflers, and finally your tips, in that order.

The CAI's don't do much performance wise so I wouldn't get crazy and spend a lot on one. Like I said before the Bomz Ebay CAI or the $75 AM one will do.
Is there a performance or quality difference between h and divorced pipes? And that sounds great ill be looking at the $75ish CAI when im looking to put that in!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is there a performance or quality difference between h and divorced pipes? And that sounds great ill be looking at the $75ish CAI when im looking to put that in!
honestly yes...a quality midpipe can change the tone big time. divorced will be the louder of the setups, but all the raspyiest
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

there's three types of dual setups our cars run...a Y pipe setup that is cheaper to run but more restrictive and quieter...a divorced setup with means from each manifold to the tailpipes is it's own tube not connecting to the other side in any way...and finally a setup running a midpipe (i.e. x, h, or PC) which means the two tubes from each manifold is now connected in the center

ok so right now this is my current setup...stock cats...mac procamber...and 2.5" mandrel bent tubing out the back

(not the prettiest tubing from the cats to the PC but i had to have it fabbed because it was used before i bought it)
Is that an h pipe in the picture there? And thanks for all the info its all starting to make more sense now!

Also: are these the Dynomax thrusher mufflers you guys suggested? Theyre only $26 each http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17702
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

To build on this

Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

honestly yes...a quality midpipe can change the tone big time. divorced will be the louder of the setups, but all the raspyiest
In your opinion will the divorced sound undesireable?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
To build on this

if i ran mufflers that would be a perfect diagram lol

Quote:
In your opinion will the divorced sound undesireable?
not at all..i ran divorced on my last v6 for years.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

not at all..i ran divorced on my last v6 for years.
Alright! Ill look into them! The only problem is, are they technically called divorced pipes? Cause i cant find them as oppose to h pipes on summitracing.com

Also re-asking are these the dynomax thrush mufflers that were suggested earlier? Cause theyre only $26 - http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17702
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
lol, well we'll pretend there are some there to fulfill the learning experience

Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright! Ill look into them! The only problem is, are they technically called divorced pipes? Cause i cant find them as oppose to h pipes on summitracing.com

Also re-asking are these the dynomax thrush mufflers that were suggested earlier? Cause theyre only $26 - http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17702
no those are turbo mufflers..you want the welded series..you can also pick those up at Advance Auto or Autozone in store.

as for calling htem divorced it's just the name...my reccomendation is to buy two mufflers and go to an exhaust shop...tell them you want a true dual exhaust (divorced)..they'll quote the rest
Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes they are called divorced pipes, but you usually don't buy them online. You have them fabbed up at an exhaust shop. Basically 2.25" or 2.5" mandrel bent piping that every exhaust shop should have.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yes they are called divorced pipes, but you usually don't buy them online. You have them fabbed up at an exhaust shop. Basically 2.25" or 2.5" mandrel bent piping that every exhaust shop should have.
eh in most cases any shop i've been too will not carry mandrel bent but crush bent tubing. mandrel bending machines are more expensive then most shops care to spend when a crush bender will do almost the same job for a lot less...however he can order mandrel bent online and take to a shop if he wants that kind of tubing for over the axles

in fact i'll say this...if you ever want to just make this as easy as possible on yourself and don't mind paying for flowmasters then i'd just buy this

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-9497gt.html

go to the shop and say i want you to cut the y pipe off and fab this in lol
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

eh in most cases any shop i've been too will not carry mandrel bent but crush bent tubing. mandrel bending machines are more expensive then most shops care to spend when a crush bender will do almost the same job for a lot less...however he can order mandrel bent online and take to a shop if he wants that kind of tubing for over the axles
Whats the difference between mandrel bent and crush bent?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Whats the difference between mandrel bent and crush bent?
mandrel bent tubing has pressure applied to the inside of the tubing as it's bent so that it doesn't deform allowing exhaust gases to flow better on the bends...crush bent will have a slightly smaller diameter tubing at each bend because it doesn't get pressure applied to it when bent...it takes a special bender to do mandrel bent ergo more expensive
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

mandrel bent tubing has pressure applied to the inside of the tubing as it's bent so that it doesn't deform allowing exhaust gases to flow better on the bends...crush bent will have a slightly smaller diameter tubing at each bend because it doesn't get pressure applied to it when bent...it takes a special bender to do mandrel bent ergo more expensive
Oh alright i see, is it usually that big of a difference between mandrel bent and just crush bent for both cost and performance?

Also, i found the welded thrush muffler but its not by dynomax, that shouldnt make too big of a difference should it?

Heres the link. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17655
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

yeah that's them...they're still dynomax just not named on them

and honestly on a v6 no it doesn't matter mandrel vs crush at least to me
Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah that's them...they're still dynomax just not named on them

and honestly on a v6 no it doesn't matter mandrel vs crush at least to me
Oh yeah you learn something new every day, or in my case 15 things, haha idk what id do without you guys youve been such a big help with all the info for starting to mod my sixxer!

And ill probably just go with whatever the shop has, in that case
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

if you lived close to the middle TN/KY line i'd just sale you some over axle tubing i have lying in my garage lol
Old 09-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
if you lived close to the middle TN/KY line i'd just sale you some over axle tubing i have lying in my garage lol
I live over in jersey so i dont think thatd work haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang