3.8-4.2....or just bore over the 3.8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Talking 3.8-4.2....or just bore over the 3.8

hey guys my pride and joy is a 00' 3.8 which has been with me scince i was 16 turning 20 soon ^_^ iv had so many dam dreams on what i wana do with this car and finally iv starded working in the oil field getting some decent money to play with undecided on what to do my motto has always been built not bought just like every one else iv read alot of forums looked at the 4.2 swap looked at ssm website over and over but let me just say it i wana make 300ish you know 280 295hp tops.....and i want my torque to be high for for sure she will be bottle fed a 125 shot would be nice she is a aode trans but 5 spd swap to come soon and maybe a 8.8 rear and suspension work but right now i need advice on the engine any ideas? something to take incasideration
SN95V600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: 3.8-4.2....or just bore over the 3.8

Well as they say, anything is possible with the right amount of cash

I personally would keep the v6 since it was my first car and pick up a v8 to fulfill that need for speed.

But if you are hellbent on building your six than pick up a 4.2 block from a F150 and build it. I know there are some good writeups on some of the other forums. The swap is more complex than it sounds, there are quite a few things you need for the proper build. For what it costs these days, you might want to pick up a used 2v and give it the trickflow treatment, that'll get you to the 300hp mark you want plus 2 more cylinders

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yea i know what you mean thats y i just wana have this sixxer looking nice i wish i could use it as a project but its my only means of transportation right now....a 2v would be nice i know which trickflow your talking about the heads cam swap one and yes its reached the 300hp mark....but then again a 3v from a 05-10 gt is still on the drawing board also.....3vs are runing for under 2k and complete with trans and ecu basically a crate engine....the awsome part is that logan motorsports came up wit a kit for the 3v to fit sn95s header plates which allows you to use 2v headers on a 3v and u dnt use drive by wire u use throttle cable from 03/04 cobra and also the 2v ecu stays incontact i just luv those 3v after wat iv seen matt da silva do wit his high 11s with bolt ons an no spray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

what's so complex about the 4.2 swap? it wasn't much to swap over...
(if you plan on a rebuild of the bottom end i have some bearings if you want them)

if you want to go the V6 route and be different then please do, not that many do it

someone you should talk to for motor work is Mr. Kyle, better prices and just as good quality
Home - Kyle Person Performance

what are you talking rwhp or crank hp when you say 300ish? if crank that's easy, hell mines somewhere around 280 with the crap cam i have

if you want more consistency with the car just build the 4R70W trans in it now, a good stall with a cooler and shift kit will make it handle a heavy load

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

from what iv read its a 4.2 with most 3.8 parts mainly internals that differ but same specs mostly i want rwhp and the 4r70w is auto gt trans right?.....like i said i wana spray i wouldnt mind spending the money on ssm top end kits but dam they r expensive....also iv noticed everyone test and tunes for 1/8 y is that? im looking to set numbers in the 1/4 not that many dwn where i live that have v6s built especially n/a this guy with a s197 is turbo making 500hp i saw vids really wasnt to pleased i want more tourqe the hp honestly something that will pull and still have hp srry if im a little of its just that i just wana build something already tired of this stock bull**** its served me well iv raced it quiet a bit and have my wons and loses the only reason i wana go 5spd is cuz the stall i tend to race slow rolls and the stall isnt good for rolls dead stops it will kill but thats y i wana get 2 step launch control wen i go stick shift......what is all need for the 4.2 swap i wana use the windstar upper but vap auto has stop making them were can i pick up one?

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

also iv been wantin to delete my egr it would make more room i swear lol my a/c is out to pw steering is not coming out tho lol unless its a straight track car or some**** but yea what r the goods and bads of the egr delete??
Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

the 4.2 and 3.8 have the same block just different internals yes

no you have a 4R70W trans in your car already, they came with them lol

Kyle can do just as good as SSM for less money, he's doing my new heads here soon and already made me the better cam just waiting on heads to install at same time

they usually do that less problems when people can't go as fast in the half a track..

if he had 500hp from a turbo i'm sure he had plenty of torque, they tend to keep it high

so you plan on "road racing" huh, well i can say that yeah a manual will always be ready at the drop of a clutch, but the deal about a stall being bad for a roll race, i've never had a problem from it.. take the auto vs. manual into drag racing scenario then you'll wish you left it an auto, wayyyyyy more consistent times

the 4.2 swap guide has a list of parts you need to get for the swap concerning your year car

you can make your own windstar kit if you like, or if you have a taller aftermarket hood you can just slap the IAC on the top where it belongs in the first place to make it easier, and with a little bracket fabrication to attach the coil and make a cable bracket it's easy i'll attach some pics of mine

you can delete the EGR without a problem, the tuner can shut it off, and yes it makes basic maintenance like spark plugs much easier and cleans up the engine bay too

so are you going to delete the A/C or are you saying it's already out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	67147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	917.2 KB
ID:	67148  

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

idk wat tranny i have its from a 99' iv been threw 2 engines on my 3rd, blew a tranny and trashed the rear end already lol...do you know what il need for the swap for mine i wouldnt mind having a 4.2 with h/c/i and p/p h/i it b sweet....so i wouldnt have to worry about detonation removing the egr lol iv read that it does so thats y iv held off...well harmonic balancer gave out all the vibration broke a line under the pump so iv removed everythin besides the pump need a delete bracket....yea i kno what u mean look at all the 8 9 10 sec cars lol all autos lol yea i need to hit the junk yards and find the intake and little by little build the ****er well man i appreciate all your help man thank you
Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN95V600 View Post
idk wat tranny i have its from a 99' iv been threw 2 engines on my 3rd, blew a tranny and trashed the rear end already lol...do you know what il need for the swap for mine i wouldnt mind having a 4.2 with h/c/i and p/p h/i it b sweet....so i wouldnt have to worry about detonation removing the egr lol iv read that it does so thats y iv held off...well harmonic balancer gave out all the vibration broke a line under the pump so iv removed everythin besides the pump need a delete bracket....yea i kno what u mean look at all the 8 9 10 sec cars lol all autos lol yea i need to hit the junk yards and find the intake and little by little build the ****er well man i appreciate all your help man thank you
it's still a 4R70W, and damn how you manage that kind of destruction? lol

4.2 swap parts list is here (go by the year of motor in your car now since you've had 3 different ones lol)
How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

as for the top end work contact the website i linked a couple post back he can get you all the important parts for that part of the swap

for the little things like gaskets, timing chain, etc. tousley parts depot has really good prices
Tousley Ford Parts Depot

no deleting the egr will not have problems as long as it is adjusted for

to the A/C if it's already broke and you don't care about it then screw it, less weight lol

no problem, i help where i can

blower/new cam soon
Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

how you ask lol just pushing the dam thing lol i just run it alot untill iv had enough lol....so how can i do that i have a friend that has a hand held sct tuner is there some how i can get a tune to remove the egr and plug it in....so lets say i remove the egr plug everything up and dnt tune it what can happen lol

yea everythings out the way except the pump i need a bracket and short belt

what r some other goodies i can look into...did you piece together your w/s upper intake or get it from vapauto?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

if you don't tune it? it'll throw a code, and just light up the check engine light

mine has the VAP coil bracket and that's it, the cable bracket was made from the factory holder welded to some scrap metal and bolted to the coil bracket

some long tube headers would be good, and going ahead and getting a handheld tuner of your own couldn't hurt, you'll have to get it for any motor work anyways

PS: you can't use his tuner, it has to be a specific tune for your car's PCM code

blower/new cam soon
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

96-98 ford windstar vans .. That's what I got mine out of.. I fabed up all my brackets out of 1/8" sheet metal bout to paint my upper to match .. I waiting to put it all in till I get my tuner so I can delete the EGR stuff for clearance .. Was told you can stick the iac on the under side..
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangg2000 View Post
96-98 ford windstar vans .. That's what I got mine out of.. I fabed up all my brackets out of 1/8" sheet metal bout to paint my upper to match .. I waiting to put it all in till I get my tuner so I can delete the EGR stuff for clearance .. Was told you can stick the iac on the under side..
with a bracket of some sort (similar to VAP's) to relocate the IAC yes you just tap into the underside of the intake under throttle body with a fitting and then be sure to silicone it to prevent air leaks

blower/new cam soon
Old 09-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not gonna do that lol I actually wanted to put it on top of the upper where it goes but I have a 00 model cobra hood pretty sure clearance issues will occur ... Around first of next year I'm putting in a 4.2 and get my turbo kit on it...
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not gonna do that lol I actually wanted to put it on top of the upper where it goes but I have a 00 model cobra hood pretty sure clearance issues will occur ... Around first of next year I'm putting in a 4.2 and get my turbo kit on it...
the 2K cobra R hood i take it? then no there shouldn't be any clearance issues

nice, who's doing your motor work and stuff?

blower/new cam soon
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

it will just shoot a code right lol not waste alot of gas this thing drinks up gas as it is i wouldnt mind some 24 lbs injectors but thats till later

yea im planing some mac long tubes here soon hpipe to

and ok well dam those things r pricey but ehh maybe il get one i want the touch screen one lol

oh so 96-98 windstar vans il be sure to go to the junk yards and see what i can find

as far as brackets it i direct bolt on right nothing else needs to be fabbed up maybe a nice spacer would be nice to

i want a 2.5 cowl hood but il ride wit out one till i can get it show off the heart of my baby lol
Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it will just shoot a code right lol not waste alot of gas this thing drinks up gas as it is i wouldnt mind some 24 lbs injectors but thats till later

yea im planing some mac long tubes here soon hpipe to

and ok well dam those things r pricey but ehh maybe il get one i want the touch screen one lol

oh so 96-98 windstar vans il be sure to go to the junk yards and see what i can find

as far as brackets it i direct bolt on right nothing else needs to be fabbed up maybe a nice spacer would be nice to

i want a 2.5 cowl hood but il ride wit out one till i can get it show off the heart of my baby lol
yes just a code, hell i get 15-16mpg it's normal to me

have you looked into pacesetter long tubes? they're about 70 cheaper

the spacer isn't really needed, i just had mine as an adapter for the mustang TB, aside from the brackets you just tweak the fuel rail down some for clearance and shorten the coolant breather tube

blower/new cam soon
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

oh ok kool then i need to get my dads friend to fab up a block off plates hes a welder

yes i have but iv read that they dnt fit and ppl have lots of problems with them and with macs they dnt have any trouble at all

ok kool got it wat about hoses and do any wires have to be extended or anything im thinking of putting breathers on my valve covers have you done so?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I just replaced my EGR valve.. it was bad and felt real laggy till after I changed it .. Is that in my head lol? Not a cobra r hood just a cowl gt hood off a 00 cobra ... Engine swap me and my buddy probably gonna do it.. He does engine swaps all the time ...
Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
oh ok kool then i need to get my dads friend to fab up a block off plates hes a welder

yes i have but iv read that they dnt fit and ppl have lots of problems with them and with macs they dnt have any trouble at all

ok kool got it wat about hoses and do any wires have to be extended or anything im thinking of putting breathers on my valve covers have you done so?
mine fit good except the drivers side hangs a tad lower than the passenger side lol

you'll have to run new vac hoses for some (look at VAP's setup i can give you the measurements on all those hoses if you want) and the tps and iac wires have to be extended out

yes i've bypassed the PCV system to keep it from building up in the intake

Quote:
I just replaced my EGR valve.. it was bad and felt real laggy till after I changed it .. Is that in my head lol? Not a cobra r hood just a cowl gt hood off a 00 cobra ... Engine swap me and my buddy probably gonna do it.. He does engine swaps all the time ...
hmm i never noticed a difference on mine before the tune

and yes you will have troubles with IAC on top with that hood

i meant like who's making your heads and other stuff, or are you just doing a bottom end swap and turboing it?

blower/new cam soon
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Full engine out a 01 up f150 .. I ain't got that far I see you say that Kyle guy a lot .. Tell me what you think I should do on the heads? I'm just run a single turbo I got a set of 94-98 stick shorty headers gonna reverse them and run duals off my turbo
Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

yea il need those measurements man id appreciate that and ok tps and iac need more length all you do is remove the hoses and put breathers correct? to bypass pcv system
Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

il figure out thw whole header thing later i want the windstar intake and egr delete and pcv bypass here soon....and also how much does kyle charge for a cam does he make them or what i couldnt really understand his site lol
Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Full engine out a 01 up f150 .. I ain't got that far I see you say that Kyle guy a lot .. Tell me what you think I should do on the heads? I'm just run a single turbo I got a set of 94-98 stick shorty headers gonna reverse them and run duals off my turbo
well on boosted cars they usually open up the ports more so than normal N/A motors would have, if you really want to go all out get bigger valves too

Quote:
yea il need those measurements man id appreciate that and ok tps and iac need more length all you do is remove the hoses and put breathers correct? to bypass pcv system
i'll try to get pictures and all tomorrow after work so it's easy to follow, and yes pull hoses put breathers in valve covers and cap off the fittings on intake the hoses went to

Quote:
il figure out thw whole header thing later i want the windstar intake and egr delete and pcv bypass here soon....and also how much does kyle charge for a cam does he make them or what i couldnt really understand his site lol
$260 for a regrind of a stocker cam or $320 for a brand new billet cam per the website...

blower/new cam soon
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

David sounds like that's the plan ! And pictures your gonna take hope you post them on this thread here so I can see pictures always help..
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

ok kool thanks how much do u think im looking at if i find a windstar intake at a junk yard 60 bucks? i found one on ebay but forget that i wana pick it up soon so i can clean it up prep it and get the hoses and wiring ready

not bad kinda the same price like ssm so he can regrind mine is wat ur saying? i want the lumpy cam dude after i saw this video on youtube which you have probably seen is this maroon mustang wit longtubes an hpipe and flows man sounds sick!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I picked up my windstar upper for 45 bucks and had all vac lines and throttle and iac and brackets still in it
Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

dammm well hopefully wen i go to the junkyard they dnt try ****in me in the *** for it these ****ers tend to sell **** expensive wen u have to go take it off ur self but thanks man hopefully i get it soon and il be uploading pics
Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

whats up guys well just got back from the junkyard peep this!

it was just sitting there for me lol i turned around after seeing the windstar van was taken apart i was like **** they beat me but nope lol

here it is on top of my engine

so now i would really apreciate some more info lol ok on the bottom of this intake it has rubber gaskets do those stay scince on my upper intake it uses the one piece gasket? i tried cleaning it up but i guess a good coat of some hi temp flat black paint will help and i need the size of those hoses

and if i bypass pcv wat do i cap off the bung on the intake with?

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Those rubber gaskets stay its what seals it off and so u don't had to buy a upper intake gasket..

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

You photos didn't load

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Yes you will have to cap it off.. And any that you don't use
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

yea sry about that il try and get it working

but what do i use to cap it off?

what happens if i remove them and just use a gasket like i were to normally use?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Idk but that's what they are there for so you ain't gotta get a gasket.. Id like to see your process
Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

dude idk wth is goin on but i post my pics on here and dnt show up but go to my album and you will c wat i got my hands on also i need two little pastics were your bolts go in il probably have to go back becuz all i got eas the intake il be needing the screws im sure my old intake screws wont fit and im gana need to work on removing my egr then see if i can find spacers i dnt really wana bend my fuel rail but if i cant get my hands on it thats my last resort and also cut the off the top the pipe that u have to cut off a little off of its threaded all the way dwn so i dnt have to worry and hopefully vap can send me the elbow and the pipe for my intake il keep you guys posted remember to check up
Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Wish my windstar had that side sticker 3,8 split port .. Mines just solid black like the sticker came off or something
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...d-swap.795471/

If you still have questions this site helped me out a lot
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

i apologize for my absence, completely forgot about measuring and all until i logged back in today

the one hose that runs from the top of the intake under where the IAC would be goes to the connection on the 3/8" hose coming from passenger side of engine bay it is ~26" long and you can see the routing in the pic i just ran it to back then out to the side to hide it some

the 3 piece setup you must do for the fuel pressure regulator (1/4" hose) is 23" on the piece that runs around the back to the tee fitting on the drivers side that comes off the tiny barb on the back of intake (use a little 2" piece of 1/4 hose to attach the tee to the intake) then the piece that runs from the tee to the regulator is 16" long and find a small hose clamp to attach it to the regulator so you don't have to worry about anything

you'll also notice two other barbs on the intake on the drivers side, the other large one in back connects the brake booster whereas the one in the front will get capped off as it is meant for the PCV system since you're bypassing it

Quote:
ok kool thanks how much do u think im looking at if i find a windstar intake at a junk yard 60 bucks? i found one on ebay but forget that i wana pick it up soon so i can clean it up prep it and get the hoses and wiring ready

not bad kinda the same price like ssm so he can regrind mine is wat ur saying? i want the lumpy cam dude after i saw this video on youtube which you have probably seen is this maroon mustang wit longtubes an hpipe and flows man sounds sick!
well it's a regrind of a factory cam not necessarily yours lol
he can do pretty much whatever with the cam just depends on the rest of your setup to how he specs it

Quote:
so now i would really apreciate some more info lol ok on the bottom of this intake it has rubber gaskets do those stay scince on my upper intake it uses the one piece gasket? i tried cleaning it up but i guess a good coat of some hi temp flat black paint will help and i need the size of those hoses

and if i bypass pcv wat do i cap off the bung on the intake with?
check and make sure the rubber o-ring gaskets on the bottom aren't cracked or anything

Quote:
Wish my windstar had that side sticker 3,8 split port .. Mines just solid black like the sticker came off or something
mine was gone too but after i did the 4.2 swap i really didn't care lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2680.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	68537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.JPG
Views:	1427
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	68538  

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	917.2 KB
ID:	68539  

blower/new cam soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang