representing mustang's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
representing mustang's

My friend has a 99 blazer v6 and is always diss'in on my 98 auto v6 stang. I'm wanting to show him up in a drag to shut him up. I have true duel x-pipe with flows, cai, bosh platinum spark plugs and synthetic oil plus I'm getting a bama tuner Wednesday. How much hp would you guess ill be pushing.. I'm thinking it will be about 170-180 at the flywheel is this correct
98projectpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: representing mustang's

Well for one, we don't allow street race discussions on the forum...however if you were to go to the local 1/4 or 1/8 mile track and race that would be fine.

That being said, I wouldn't waste my time running against a blazer unless he is paying the bill at the track.

With the mods you stated, you'd be lucky to see 155-165 hp at the crank. Our 94-04 3.8's really don't respond to mods that well...you'll see some gains from the exhaust and tune, but nothing crazy. Your car will feel more alive after the tune, especially if you have an auto.

Either way, if your friend is talking that much trash about your mustang and he's driving a fricken blazer, someone's jealous. I'd rather push my mustang to work ever day than drive a blazer.

Let him talk all the trash he wants until he actually get's a car worth driving.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I'm talking about a 1/4 track. And how can I only be pushing 160 when stock its supposed to be 150. That's a little let down honestly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98projectpony View Post
Yea I'm talking about a 1/4 track. And how can I only be pushing 160 when stock its supposed to be 150. That's a little let down honestly
because of how old parts are...compression loss over the years..and the fact that those mods might net you close to 10 hp with the tune...ask the guy on here with the green sn95...he got i believe 10 rwhp with the addition of LTs, Prochamber, and flowmaster 10's
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wow.. I wasn't expecting so little reward for my buck.. I guess it is what it is. Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Both of you have a V6, his car probably weighs 2,000 pounds more than yours... You will own him at the track if it is stock for stock.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow.. I wasn't expecting so little reward for my buck.. I guess it is what it is. Thanks guys I appreciate it.
yea which is why i also say just enjoy your sixxer for what it is and save so that one day you can guy a car with a motor that'll really respond to mods
Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Both of you have a V6, his car probably weighs 2,000 pounds more than yours... You will own him at the track if it is stock for stock.
Yea his is full stock. After knowing what they just told me spanking him in a race doesn't seem like such a accomplishment now. :broken spirit for my sn95:
Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea his is full stock. After knowing what they just told me spanking him in a race doesn't seem like such a accomplishment now. :broken spirit for my sn95:
Honestly my friend, running a faster time than a chevy blazer shouldn't be a huge accomplishment

Trust me, you're going to catch 10 tons of sh*t for owning a v6 mustang...just like 2v v8 guys catch crap from the 4v guys, it's just a cycle.

If I got a dollar for every time someone talked trash about my car I'd have a termi cobra sitting in the garage next to it

The point is to enjoy what car you have and if you want faster car work to make it happen.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
at least your car will look better on the track
Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Honestly my friend, running a faster time than a chevy blazer shouldn't be a huge accomplishment

Trust me, you're going to catch 10 tons of sh*t for owning a v6 mustang...just like 2v v8 guys catch crap from the 4v guys, it's just a cycle.

If I got a dollar for ever time someone talked trash about my car I'd have a termi cobra sitting in the garage next to it

The point is to enjoy what car you have an if you want faster car work to make it happen.
Trust me people diss all the time but regardless I still love my stang..even after what I learned I'm disappointed but still doesn't change my feeling towards her. I work for everything I got so the real options that matter are mine.. and thx guys you've been really helpful
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i reccomend moving your focus off of drag and into corners...if you like that sorta thing...our sixxers make great carvers
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

^^^this is true...my car handles way better with some H&R Supersports, tokico HP's, and some CC plates. The power to weight is more in the v6's favor, and that is huge in the autocross/handling department. It's really composed and planted to the ground in the twisties. I will say the more aggressive tune does help coming out of the turn (compared to the stock performance), so don't count your performance mods out entirely.

I think you will be happy with the highest octane tune from Bama, it's nothing crazy that'll get you competing with v8's, but for your specific v6 you'll notice a nice difference in performance.

If you want to get more extreme pick up a set of coilovers or adjustable shocks/struts, sway bars, subframe connectors, and some better bushings.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a 98 v6 cai,bbk pulley,flowmasters,msd coils ,accell super coil,ngk spark plugs and bama tuner and I love it
Fourloko530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
^^^this is true...my car handles way better with some H&R Supersports, tokico HP's, and some CC plates. The power to weight is more in the v6's favor, and that is huge in the autocross/handling department. It's really composed and planted to the ground in the twisties. I will say the more aggressive tune does help coming out of the turn (compared to the stock performance), so don't count your performance mods out entirely.

I think you will be happy with the highest octane tune from Bama, it's nothing crazy that'll get you competing with v8's, but for your specific v6 you'll notice a nice difference in performance.

If you want to get more extreme pick up a set of coilovers or adjustable shocks/struts, sway bars, subframe connectors, and some better bushings.
Alright I might devert my attention to suspension.. what would you recommended for the first suspension mod
Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright I might devert my attention to suspension.. what would you recommended for the first suspension mod
a rear sway bar, cut your stock springs, some tokico HP (blues) shocks, and then buy some SS brake lines and some higher quality Hawk Ceramic Pads...that'll have you happy...then it'd be time to start thinking tires
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yah I'd get shocks/struts, and cut your springs a half a coil or 1 coil. If you want to spend some more cash you could buy aftermarket springs.

IIRC the 94-96 v6 mustangs came with a rear sway bar from the factory so you could go to the junk yard and pull one off a car. I think the sway bars off the thunderbirds will bolt up too and are slightly thicker in diameter.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yah I'd get shocks/struts, and cut your springs a half a coil or 1 coil. If you want to spend some more cash you could buy aftermarket springs.

IIRC the 94-96 v6 mustangs came with a rear sway bar from the factory so you could go to the junk yard and pull one off a car. I think the sway bars off the thunderbirds will bolt up too and are slightly thicker in diameter.
i stick to 1.25 off the front and 1 off the back when it comes to cutting...
Old 09-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i stick to 1.25 off the front and 1 off the back when it comes to cutting...
Yah I've personally never cut any, so ~ how much does that lower the car?

around 1-1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So Cutting the stock springs will lower it and handle better right? And is cutting them just as good as getting aftermarket springs from AM?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yah I've personally never cut any, so ~ how much does that lower the car?

around 1-1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear?
1.5" and 1" is correct

Quote:
So Cutting the stock springs will lower it and handle better right? And is cutting them just as good as getting aftermarket springs from AM?
to me they handle better because they transfer weight better

here's a cut setup

Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

How much of an challenge is it to get the springs out n cut.. I'm pretty much been around cars my hole life so I'm pretty mechanical handy and I have almost every tool imaginable...and would I need to cut the springs differently for the sn95 's because I noticed you have a new edge body style
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pretty much...cutting vs buying aftermarket really depends on what you're looking for.

If you want mainly looks and retain your stock handling with some improvements in cornering then cut your springs. Cutting your linear rate springs will affect them somewhat since you're reducing the amount of spring available to receive distributed load but I don't think a near stock car is going to really get hurt by it.

That's where buying aftermarket progressive springs comes in. Most are engineered to better distribute the load rates throughout the "lowered" spring and you do notice this when cornering. But again, it all depends on how serious/concerned you are with performance handling. Most people don't do enough to their suspension to make aftermarket springs work to their fullest so cutting coils will probably be fine.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much of an challenge is it to get the springs out n cut.. I'm pretty much been around cars my hole life so I'm pretty mechanical handy and I have almost every tool imaginable
my first time took two hours from start to finish...nowadays it takes half that time...just have a friend nearby to help when needed
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yah our mustang's suspensions are pretty simple...hardest part to me is getting the stock springs out. Thers's a lot of energy in the springs so being careful when prying them out is important. Other than that it's stubborn bolts and electrical tape lol.

Impact tools makes the whole process way easier btw.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

wish i used impact tools lol....i just used a 4 way and ripped the springs out with my hands

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang