Stallin and sputtering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Stallin and sputtering

I have a 1997 Ford Mustang v6 3.8l--Last night I decided to take a drive to the next town over and get gas...on my way there when i would accelerate from 45-60 it would sputter and then accelerate to 60...so it had me worry but i decided to go to town anyways and put some gas in(already had half a tank)go to the gas station turn car off...put some gas in and turned it on it started sputtering and stalling real bad,when to the stoplight and went to make a turn it started doing it really bad so i pulled over and turned the car off...turned the car on again and still did the same thing...finally it did not start at all!!(by the way in my stupidity i have had a check engine light on and never got it check)does anybody have any ideas what this could be ?
Just had a dual catback put on and some taylors street thunder wires put on with new spark plugs as well if that helps...prior to this in the same day it ran beautiful...also open up the throttle a few times in the same day for the first time.
NinjaStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Stallin and sputtering

have the code tested first of all...

when the exhaust was installed did they mess with the cats or o2's...damaged upstreams can cause those issues...or it could be the new wires or plugs (did you gap the plugs)
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

its a possibility that my o2 sensor could be bad and finally went up and with a new exhaust it may of made it go haywire!!!no i didnt gap the spark plugs they were factory gapped!!!I cant take it to a shop to have it hooked to a computer b/c its labor day so tomorrow im gonna have it towed but if possibly...if its something i can fix myself ans save money i want to do so!!!

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Or would a MAF sensor cause a car to do this as well?

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Also would a Bad Coil pack do this? or would my aftermarket wires which were custom made for my car from American muscle cause the coil pack to go bad?

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Also had to unplug my Battery the same day...would that cause the computer to act up and result into stalling a sputtering ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Advance, Autozone, Orileys....they all test codes for free and are open today (believe me i have a closing shift)

Always gap your plugs...just because they say it's factory gapped does not mean the gap is correct. it takes all of 5 seconds per plug to gap them

yes the MAF, IAC, TPS could all be causing your issue..same with the wires, and ignition coil..and unplugging your battery resets the live data of your car...not a good idea when you're trying to figure out what you need to fix
Old 09-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

As of last night it would not start after all of the mess..it would just crank so im gonna...Take a gapping Coin and my old spark plug wires and try that it may start after sitting over night its still at the gas station and yeah it figures i reset the battery when i needed it the most!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

when you try to start it can you hear the pump prime? does it click?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yes it clicks and makes a whining noise just like normally...to me it also seems like something could be clogged...that was my first guess when all this happened!!I run cleaners in my gas though!a good question though is could it be my cat converter and bad o2 sensor combined...its too many small things it could be!!!...
Old 09-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

can you hear the pump prime? swap the fuel filter...a jack and the disconnect you can do it in the parking lot and see if that helps...i swap it at every 50k mile mark
Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

just replace the fuel filter when i bough it...my best quess would be a sensor or a coil..ill update you...after i get back!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

np wish you luck
Old 09-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Does that model still have a distributer?? Or is it coil pack..If it has a dist,,you may have a bad pick up coil,,or if its a coil pack,,could be the crank sensor
Old 09-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

it has a coil pack and yes, we were thinkin the same thing that it could be a possibility!!when my ride arrives im going to check everything possible! is there any special run of the mill trick to see if my coil has went bad ?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaStang View Post
it has a coil pack and yes, we were thinkin the same thing that it could be a possibility!!when my ride arrives im going to check everything possible! is there any special run of the mill trick to see if my coil has went bad ?
auto zone or advance has a 2 or 3 dollar spark tester thats adjustable,,thats what i would use,,if it sparks a small gap,,wind out the spark tester a pretty good ways it should jump the gap if the coils good..
Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks will try that and now i have a friend coming over with a expensive computer!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Update:had a computer hooked up to car ans it is the coil so i bought a oem coil
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

how's she running now?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

She's running like she's was before all this mess, and by that.... i mean perfect the guy reset it to factory settings with his computer...so i can tell it lost and few tuned horses but thats fine...i planned on getting it tuned in the near future anyways!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaStang View Post
She's running like she's was before all this mess, and by that.... i mean perfect the guy reset it to factory settings with his computer...so i can tell it lost and few tuned horses but thats fine...i planned on getting it tuned in the near future anyways!!!
cool

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang