Diagnostic Code P0455 & P0411 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Region: California
Diagnostic Code P0455 & P0411

Hi all ~

I thought I would share this with you and hopefully it will help someone else with the same code.

I have a 99 Mustang V-6 (3.8L). The service engine light came on and I went to Pepboys to get the codes read. My car threw 2 codes, P0455 & P0411. After checking around and reading Mustang forums I found the problems.

The P0455 is a "Gross EVAP Leak" I found that the rubber gasket at the gas tank and filler tube was dry rotted and worthless. I replaced the gasket and all was good.

The P0411 code was a little more frustrating. I found that it could be several things. Make sure to check all vacuum hoses from the Secondary air pump and solenoid valve. Check the hoses for dry rot, disconnection or cuts. All my hoses were good. I then decided to replace the secondary air pump. This is located behind the plastic in the passenger front wheel well. I purchased an aftermarket brand for $104.00. The dealer wanted $260.00. I am taking my chances with aftermarket. After replacing the pump I disconnected the battery and reset the service engine light.

About 100 miles after replacing the air pump the service engine light came back on. I then decided to change the secondary air injection solenoid valve. This cost $50.00 from the dealer. The was an easy replacement. No tools required and it's located on top at the from of the engine. I decided not to reset the check engine light, I would wait to see if it went off on its own. After about 100 miles the light went off.

My car is running great again. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same issues. Feel free to contact me if you need help.

Take care,

Jim
Hensonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Diagnostic Code P0455 & P0411

That was some great troubleshooting on your part and you saved about $400 not bringing it to a mech. AAA+++
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Diagnostic Code P0455 & P0411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensonjames View Post
Hi all ~

I thought I would share this with you and hopefully it will help someone else with the same code.

I have a 99 Mustang V-6 (3.8L). The service engine light came on and I went to Pepboys to get the codes read. My car threw 2 codes, P0455 & P0411. After checking around and reading Mustang forums I found the problems.

The P0455 is a "Gross EVAP Leak" I found that the rubber gasket at the gas tank and filler tube was dry rotted and worthless. I replaced the gasket and all was good.

The P0411 code was a little more frustrating. I found that it could be several things. Make sure to check all vacuum hoses from the Secondary air pump and solenoid valve. Check the hoses for dry rot, disconnection or cuts. All my hoses were good. I then decided to replace the secondary air pump. This is located behind the plastic in the passenger front wheel well. I purchased an aftermarket brand for $104.00. The dealer wanted $260.00. I am taking my chances with aftermarket. After replacing the pump I disconnected the battery and reset the service engine light.

About 100 miles after replacing the air pump the service engine light came back on. I then decided to change the secondary air injection solenoid valve. This cost $50.00 from the dealer. The was an easy replacement. No tools required and it's located on top at the from of the engine. I decided not to reset the check engine light, I would wait to see if it went off on its own. After about 100 miles the light went off.

My car is running great again. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same issues. Feel free to contact me if you need help.

Take care,

Jim
That can be a pain to find..the dealer has a smoke machine that helps them find the leak,,i know on the newer fords,,with a scanner you can make it go through the test and you can isolate a few thing and find it,,i found its the vent solenoid on alot of them

Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensonjames
Hi all ~

Take care,

Jim
Hey I think I have the same problem. The ford dealer said I need a new filler neck also. I didn't believe them. I smell gas inside and outside and it's strong. Did the grommet alone erase the code?
Arock807 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang