turbo size?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
turbo size??

What turbo size will I need to make 30psi? And how far can u turn a turbo down? (I.e. can a 30psi turbo run only 4psi?)
morthis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Re: turbo size??

get this and be done
http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street...-CEA%C2%AE/329

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert
What psi is that turbo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32

What psi is that turbo?
Turbos are measured in millimeters.. Like a 76mm.. 30 psi really on what kinda car..
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Yes get a waste gate and boost controler and run a 4 lbs waste gate spring and 30lbs through the boost controler and a hx-35 loves 30 lbs
Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000

Turbos are measured in millimeters.. Like a 76mm.. 30 psi really on what kinda car..
So what theory do u use for how much psi to how many mm a turbo can do?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford
Yes get a waste gate and boost controler and run a 4 lbs waste gate spring and 30lbs through the boost controler and a hx-35 loves 30 lbs
Please explain again. I'm not understanding your wording.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

This build won't ever happen, stop dreaming, be more realistic.

You probably don't have 30 grand to throw at your v6 mustang.

30psi and then down to 4? Are you stuck on PSI numbers, it doesn't mean anything you should start going by HORSEPOWER numbers. Do some research first, nobody goes into a 30k build blind.
ChrisTorres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTorres08

30psi and then down to 4? Are you stuck on PSI numbers, it doesn't mean anything you should start going by HORSEPOWER numbers. Do some research first, nobody goes into a 30k build blind.
Amen
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford
What's an hx-35 I don't know much about the smaller foxes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

1. I'm planning the build. Not going blind. Haven't started buying anything yet. Just planning.
2.It'll be prolly a 5yr project.
3. I asked people what size turbo they have and they tell me what psi they r pushing. Not my fault that's all Im told.
4. I'm asking so I can learn. If ik I wuldnt have asked. Keep the posts positive.
5. I'm dropping a 1995 supercoupe engine in and starting from that base.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by morthis32 View Post
1. I'm planning the build. Not going blind. Haven't started buying anything yet. Just planning.
2.It'll be prolly a 5yr project.
3. I asked people what size turbo they have and they tell me what psi they r pushing. Not my fault that's all Im told.
4. I'm asking so I can learn. If ik I wuldnt have asked. Keep the posts positive.
5. I'm dropping a 1995 supercoupe engine in and starting from that base.

Lol, 5 year projects never make it anywhere this is the internet, the land of dreams.

Maybe you should stop ASKING, and start RESEARCHING online everything you want to know can be found on google.

Why would you put a 95 supercoupe engine in the car? Its going to need a 100% custom built motor (forged pistons, rods, arp hardware, race bearings, etc, etc) [10k ish motor]

You want 600hp? Simple grab a precision 6766 Or a borg warner s366!

Now you know 30% of your setup.
Then you will need fuel system (cobra tank, dual pumps, braided fuel lines, injectors)
a turbo kit itself.
8.8 rear end with 31 spline true trac + axles
built transmission
tires to keep the power to the ground
yeah that is about 90%
some tuning software and a tune(dyno)
Money
Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, 5 year projects never make it anywhere this is the internet, the land of dreams.

Maybe you should stop ASKING, and start RESEARCHING online everything you want to know can be found on google.

Why would you put a 95 supercoupe engine in the car? Its going to need a 100% custom built motor (forged pistons, rods, arp hardware, race bearings, etc, etc) [10k ish motor]

Then you will need fuel system (cobra tank, dual pumps, braided fuel lines, injectors)
a turbo kit itself.
built transmission
yeah that is about 90%
Money
K.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000

What's an hx-35 I don't know much about the smaller foxes
Stock turbo on a 5.9 cummins

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

56mm i think
Old 09-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
The hx35 is a 54/58/12. hx40 is a 60/58/12 The hx35 with the silencer ring taken out will see about 32 psi with a water meth injection. I just got rid of my cummins to get the boss. Handles way better than the truck. But it's fun as crap to launch in 4wd and take a 7000 point truck down the track in 8.12 in an 1/8. Hope to get the boss to the track soon and see what it's got
Whiteboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Forum Car Trader
Regular

No joke around hear I've seen them run low 7's and then pull the trailer home with a 5 second car
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i wanted to build my truck to run in the 10s in a 1/4 but just cost way to much to build a diesel to do that. Guy that help me build my trans has a fox body tube car with a cummins in it runs mid to high 5's thing has 3 turbos though two 75mm and one 65mm running 110 psi just got it in though so it isn't hooking up like it should
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

a turbo kit itself.
built transmission
yeah that is about 90%
Money
1. I'm driving the car and doing mods when I get the money hence y it will take so long.
2. What part of positive do people in this forumn not get?? All negativity does is tear, not build.
3. When I was asking what size it is and the psi its cuz people tell me that 20psi doubles the hp u make w/o the turbo.
4. Im currently helping my fiance pay for her college so i have to save for parts for my car. And right now im asking people who i thought were knowledgeable in the turbo subject. Trying to learn. If ur not willing to help/tech then. AGAIN dont post. So ya. Positive help please or just stop posting. That'll be great.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboss302
Yea i wanted to build my truck to run in the 10s in a 1/4 but just cost way to much to build a diesel to do that. Guy that help me build my trans has a fox body tube car with a cummins in it runs mid to high 5's thing has 3 turbos though two 75mm and one 65mm running 110 psi just got it in though so it isn't hooking up like it should
That's crazy! Hey if u like that look up 1995 diesel mustang. A guy dropped a cummings in a mustang. No joke.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If its rich Buckley that's the guy in talking about I was thinking it was a fox body for some reason he had that motor in a 1500 regular cab dodge and he sold that truck and built the tube car. He knows his stuff when it comes so a cummins.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboss302
If its rich Buckley that's the guy in talking about I was thinking it was a fox body for some reason he had that motor in a 1500 regular cab dodge and he sold that truck and built the tube car. He knows his stuff when it comes so a cummins.
The engines red and its only tubing around the frond end. Windshield and forward. From the door hinges back is flat black.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Okay OP:
Go get a 4.2L truck engine.
Break it down to bare block
Send block in for an acid dip and good cleaning.
Order 4.3L long rod Stroker kit from super six motor sports. Forged dished top pistons shoot for a 8.5-9.0:1 compression ratio. Punch the block out for the bigger pistons to fit. May need sleeves(most likely will) get their custom race prepped crank. Get a custom boost cam ground from them, stage 3 heads with ported valves, upper and lower fully polished and ported, or a Windstar intake. Upgrade valve springs, make sure everything is forged an bullet proof. New motor mounts. Drop the tranny, send it in for a rebuild, shift kit. Will also need a trans cooler. Buy and 8.8 Rear end, put in a auburn t-Lok with 3.55 gears. Will need 31 spline axels.
Custom Drive shaft(aluminum or steel) which ever it needs to be strong as hell.
Twin turbo from TMA or a big single turbo as stated above
Now you have most of the major **** done. Support ****
Custom fuel rails!
Huge injectors probably near 70-80lbs
Cobra pump
Full new suspension
Full new brake system
Exhaust(done with the turbo set up)
New wheels and tires to fit more meat
Then you need to repair the exterior.
Body panels and trims(includes parts like goods and bumpers)
Paint
Then the interior
New carpets
New covered seats
Headliner

Sir you aren't just looking at a 30k build.
The long rod Stroker build with turbos times 1.5 for install is near 15-18k

With the money you will dump into this car in let's say 5 years.
You could have half a down payment on the newest and best Shelby(or cobra what ever they come out with then, like the Shelby).

In my honest opinion.
Call a reputable performance shop.
Do a Coyote or termi engine swap(8-10k)
And you'd have a car that allows more mods and is better acceptable to mods. And for less.
My .02

::End::
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
Okay OP:
Go get a 4.2L truck engine.
Break it down to bare block
Send block in for an acid dip and good cleaning.
Order 4.3L long rod Stroker kit from super six motor sports. Forged dished top pistons shoot for a 8.5-9.0:1 compression ratio. Punch the block out for the bigger pistons to fit. May need sleeves(most likely will) get their custom race prepped crank. Get a custom boost cam ground from them, stage 3 heads with ported valves, upper and lower fully polished and ported, or a Windstar intake. Upgrade valve springs, make sure everything is forged an bullet proof. New motor mounts. Drop the tranny, send it in for a rebuild, shift kit. Will also need a trans cooler. Buy and 8.8 Rear end, put in a auburn t-Lok with 3.55 gears. Will need 31 spline axels.
Custom Drive shaft(aluminum or steel) which ever it needs to be strong as hell.
Twin turbo from TMA or a big single turbo as stated above
Now you have most of the major **** done. Support ****
Custom fuel rails!
Huge injectors probably near 70-80lbs
Cobra pump
Full new suspension
Full new brake system
Exhaust(done with the turbo set up)
New wheels and tires to fit more meat
Then you need to repair the exterior.
Body panels and trims(includes parts like goods and bumpers)
Paint
Then the interior
New carpets
New covered seats
Headliner

Sir you aren't just looking at a 30k build.
The long rod Stroker build with turbos times 1.5 for install is near 15-18k

With the money you will dump into this car in let's say 5 years.
You could have half a down payment on the newest and best Shelby(or cobra what ever they come out with then, like the Shelby).

In my honest opinion.
Call a reputable performance shop.
Do a Coyote or termi engine swap(8-10k)
And you'd have a car that allows more mods and is better acceptable to mods. And for less.
My .02

::End::
I'm looking to mod my 3.8. I am not going to a diff engine. There's a guy that used a custom cam, tt, etc and is making 797hp. Out of a single port 3.8.

From the calculations I'm making imma need a 62mm turbo to make in the 600hp range. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sitting here trying to do all the cfm, pr, and m3/s calculations and reading the graph.

ps. I don't give a f- about what this will cost. So everyone please stop trying to discourage cuz of costs. I'm mearly asking what ill need as in specifics to do it. Or if u culd post links that wuld be awesome.thanks for the help.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm looking to mod my 3.8. I am not going to a diff engine. There's a guy that used a custom cam, tt, etc and is making 797hp. Out of a single port 3.8.

From the calculations I'm making imma need a 62mm turbo to make in the 600hp range. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sitting here trying to do all the cfm, pr, and m3/s calculations and reading the graph.

ps. I don't give a f- about what this will cost. So everyone please stop trying to discourage cuz of costs. I'm mearly asking what ill need as in specifics to do it. Or if u culd post links that wuld be awesome.thanks for the help.
There is no way u can make that much power out of the single port. You would have to swap to split port. Not enough air flow...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There is no way u can make that much power out of the single port. You would have to swap to split port. Not enough air flow...
Ill send u the link
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Unless its a huge ported single port then it's not possible... You can only forced so much air down a hole
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here's the link. Dino sheet and all. http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48406
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here's the link. Dino sheet and all. http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48406
4.3L Stroker engine...
Custom intake of course.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

So yes built like that it's possible I prefer split, if he had a split he'd be well into the 800s just saying.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I think it's a single port engine swapped to a split port tho. He has the exact build I pretty much told u above
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

4.3L Stroker engine...
Custom intake of course.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

So yes built like that it's possible I prefer split, if he had a split he'd be well into the 800s just saying.
Ok so what do I need? My aim is for 600hp. I don't want any more than 650hp. Going with FI ill want flat top forged pistons right, forged rods ik but what else about them do I need to know.? Also wuld 4v heads be better for what I want? What r the cam specs imma want? Etc. What wuld the numbers be for the rods and pistons?

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Quote:

4.3L Stroker engine...
Custom intake of course.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I think it's a single port engine swapped to a split port tho. He has the exact build I pretty much told u above
I'm not building till I have all the specs, and numbers I need. Only gunna build once. I don't wanna have a pile of good parts I keep swapping cuz I realize this or that's better.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

:facepalm
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
:facepalm
I'm not changing it to a 4.3 or else id have the specs.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Go to Supersixmotorsports give them a call, tell them what you want and they will tell you everything and supply it all. ::
Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
What turbo size will I need to make 30psi? And how far can u turn a turbo down? (I.e. can a 30psi turbo run only 4psi?)
Le mans cars with twin turbos don't even run over 28 psi. 30psi is stupid
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Bunch of WRONG here...

Single port + turbo > split port all day every day. No he wouldn't have made 800 with split port he would have made less.

Fastest v6 mustang = single port
Most horsepower = single port

a SLEEVED 3.8 block? are you crazy nobody sleeves one of these things.

A cobra pump to make power for "30" psi? No that won't happen, dual cobra pumps with a B-A-P won't make 600hp on a v6 mustang.

Why do you need to replace the EXTERIOR to make power?! Wtf

You don't even need suspension really Tom JR ran 10s on stock suspension and made 601hp!!

Don't need a custom drive shaft.

Yes a BW s375 will get you to 600hp, so will an s366, so will a 6765, so will a 6266.

Oh and I don't know what a le mans car has to do with running high boost?? Or with anything for that.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bunch of WRONG here...

Single port + turbo > split port all day every day. No he wouldn't have made 800 with split port he would have made less.

Fastest v6 mustang = single port
Most horsepower = single port

a SLEEVED 3.8 block? are you crazy nobody sleeves one of these things.

A cobra pump to make power for "30" psi? No that won't happen, dual cobra pumps with a B-A-P won't make 600hp on a v6 mustang.

Why do you need to replace the EXTERIOR to make power?! Wtf

You don't even need suspension really Tom JR ran 10s on stock suspension and made 601hp!!

Don't need a custom drive shaft.

Yes a BW s375 will get you to 600hp, so will an s366, so will a 6765, so will a 6266.

Oh and I don't know what a le mans car has to do with running high boost?? Or with anything for that.
He is rebuilding the car do I added in the extra price of the exterior and suspension because he wants it upgraded.
An how does a single port make more than a split port?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

because when you add boost the whole game changes.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
because when you add boost the whole game changes.
Is it because it's not having to split off and go into different longer runners compared to the big single opening?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang