automatic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
automatic

I've read that the auto really holds our mustangs back. I already have the tuner but what are some other things to wake up the trans to compete with the stick
Mustang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: automatic

Well...as much as people dog on autos they are the most consistent transmission out there. More drag guys choose a powerglide 2spd auto because it's a simple and proven unit.

A human manually shifting a car can't even come close to matching a computerized auto's consistency, but in the end there's just something about bangin thru those gears

In addition to the tune, you could add a higher stall torque converter, street/strip shift kit and/or a b&m hammer shifter to make your auto more fun to drive.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
That myth comes from the old days. None of the manual 5.0s I run (with similar mods) can touch me. I just have tires and a Bama tune. Hitting 12.5s at 112 in hot weather. Guessing could hit low 12 s in cooler air. Stock 3:15 gear. Next mod for me will be a gear and converter. I picked up 2/10s in my 06 gt in my 60 ft when I added a Street Fighter converter.
CPERR2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

shift kit or jmod...and a tune and you'll love your auto....
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No I understan the drag concept of the auto being fasting but I was thinking more of 0 to 60. What is a jmod and thanks for the speedy response
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang19 View Post
No I understan the drag concept of the auto being fasting but I was thinking more of 0 to 60. What is a jmod and thanks for the speedy response
Who does this apply to?
The J-Mod can be performed on any AODE, 4R70W, 4R75W, and 4R75E. These automatic transmissions are either available options or standard in the following vehicles:

J-Mod: What is it?
The J-Mod (or Jerry's Mod) is named after the Ford Transmission Engineer, Jerry Wroblewski, who helped in the design of the AODE/4R70W transmission and came up with these modifications. The J-Mod is intended to increase shift speed and decrease wear on the clutches of the automatic transmission.

Who can do it?
Anyone with basic hand tools, an ability to follow instructions, and patience can complete this job in their garage in a few hours. The only thing you may not have on hand as a non-mechanic are an inch-pound torque wrench and proper sized drill bits.

What does the job entail?
Well, you will be taking apart the valve body of an automatic transmission. This may sound confusing, scary, downright sadistic, but after doing it myself, it's one of the easier things I've done.

The following are NOT detailed instructions and should not be performed as such without reading the full J-Mod instructions (link below).

A basic synopsis of what will be performed:

Remove the transmission pan, filter, and automatic transmission fluid (ATF)
Remove electrical harness from solenoids on the valve body
Remove the valve body from the transmission housing
Remove the separator plate from the valve body
Widen several holes with a drill in the separator plate
Reinstall separator plate and new gaskets to valve body
Remove (or replace with a softer) lower 1-2 shift accumulator spring
Remove 2-3 shift accumulator spring
Clean all accessible parts, including pan magnet
Reinstall valve body into transmission housing
Reconnect electrical harness
Install new filter
Reinstall transmission pan
Refill with Mercon V

Really, how hard is it?
I never ever worked on a transmission of any sort. I also have done only pretty basic mechanical tasks, such as changing oil and changing a few engine bits and pieces (see signature). It took me 4 hours, double checking, and triple checking my work. It was also below freezing on my garage floor and took breaks every 15 minutes or so to regain feeling in my fingers.

What will I need?

10 quarts Mercon V (12-14 quarts if you also drain your torque converter)
Inch-pound torque wrench that can measure 90 inch-pounds
10mm socket
8mm socket
Drill & drill bits (see instructions as size varies with horsepower)
Softer 1-2 lower shift accumulator spring (if you so desire)
Snap-ring pliers
Separator plate gaskets (2; see instructions for part numbers)
Vaseline
Carb or brake cleaner
Dielectric grease
Jack and jackstands

Why remove the springs?
The J-Mod calls for the removal of the 2-3 shift accumulator spring (there is only one) no matter what your horse power range. It really doesn't feel too hard under any situation, but is noticeably better than factory.

The 1-2 shift accumulator has two springs - an upper and a lower. The upper spring should NOT BE REMOVED. The option you have (if your HP level allows for it) is if you want to completely remove the lower spring. If you remove the lower spring, the 1-2 shift will be quite firm under all throttle conditions. If you choose to install a softer spring, you will still get improved shifts, but will be less firm.

I opted to completely remove the 1-2 shift accumulator spring. During daily driving, the shifts are not harsh enough to cause discomfort. When WOT, the tires chirp and is a wonderful feeling being thrown into the back of the seat. Most people say that it shifts faster and more firm than a manual.

Will the J-Mod ruin my transmission?
The J-Mod is actually one of those cases that can increase the life of your transmission. Since the J-Mod reduces the time that the clutches slip (thus shifting) from one gear to the next, the clutch wear and ATF temperatures are reduced. However, if your transmission if already not performing well, this is probably not for you. But who knows, maybe all it needs is new fluid to be restored to health.

Does this make it harder to keep traction in snow?
I did my J-Mod in the dead of winter. Infact, it was snowing several inches the day I did it. I found that the traction was not affected by the quicker/firmer shifts, so long as you drove cautiously - like you should in those conditions anyway.

And where are the detailed instructions?
Glad you're still interested!

These instructions are made with the Panther platform in mind (Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Marauder, and Town Car), but are easier to read no matter what vehicle you're doing this on. Be sure to read the instructions below for any part numbers and specifics for your HP range.
http://www.crownvic.net/tech/4R70Wnotes.pdf

The original instructions, including gasket and spring part numbers and drill bit sizes:
TCCoA Tech Articles

The J-Mod is covered in Chapters 13 and 14 in the above link.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wow thank you a lot that was very detailed.. defintely sounds like something I'm intrested in. It will be a good little project for next summer when I'm swapping in 4.10. I only have two questions the tuner I have is from bama through AM and will the affect the way my trans acts after the mod? And is removing the lower 1-2 spring affect anything besides shift firmness?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

bama will need to write you a new tune for the gears, and i'd let them know you're going to be doing the jmod to your car so they can work that into the tune as well...for the lower spring it'll shift harder then most want on a DD if you remove it. that's why most just go with a softer spring.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Even at low rpm? I'm still young so a little jerk isn't a big deal lol I understand it will be a big jerk at high rpms though and that's cool that bama can work that in
Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Even at low rpm? I'm still young so a little jerk isn't a big deal lol I understand it will be a big jerk at high rpms though and that's cool that bama can work that in
yea bama should always be told about any changes you make to the car like that when you go for a retune...afterall the more they know the better the overall tune will be
Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I see what ur saying .. have u personally done this mod?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I see what ur saying .. have u personally done this mod?
i've helped friends on it...this is my first auto in a good while so it's a mod i'll be doing
Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Are their any tips that arnt in the links that u wish were when u did it lol
Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are their any tips that arnt in the links that u wish were when u did it lol
nope...just have the time to do it and not have to rush
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thanks a lot defintly sounds Luke something I'm gonna do
Old 09-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang19
Alright thanks a lot defintly sounds Luke something I'm gonna do
I have a jmod I did a couple years ago. Take your time and don't rush but it makes a world of a difference. I had a tuner first so I seen both sides and I would say a jmod is better for the Transmission.
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang