Cutting springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Cutting springs

So I know this is mentioned on here somewhere but just can't find it. The front ride height of my stang is just so annoying and I want to take care of it ASAP. Don't have enough for a new set up so I was thinkin of just cutting an inch off the front springs to get me by. For those of you who have cut your own springs, how'd you cut them? From top or bottom? Do you just measure an inch down and make a line over to where you need to cut on the coil? Would it be a good idea to get an alignment afterward? I know this is out on the web, I feel like I get better info off this forum.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Cutting springs

i've cut 5 stangs now...all 5 got the same treatment...

1.25 coils off the front and 1 coil off the back...take a couple hours if your slow and leaves you with a great finished product. if you google cutting springs and modded mustangs you'll find a very decent write up with pics. i guess i'll need to write one up for this site as well as soon as i chop another set

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Just never use heat.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Question: if u cut 3/4 off, so you just get the bottom right and don't bother with direction of pigtails
? Should I just make sure front point same way and back face same?
Cause if I cut 3/4 off back, pigtails aren't going to point same way as before. I hope u understand what I'm asking. Thanks
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Yeah, you don't cut the pig tails, curly que end on progressive springs. When installed, both curly que ends both have to be pointing the same direction too, FYI. I believe it's towards the passengers side.
-_- This is what mine looked like after cutting them, hope it helps maybe.
Here:
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^bingo

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Do I cut from bottom on front and top of back? I can't remember, I read somewhere. Does more miles on springs make em sit lower? Everybody says something different for the drop. I'd like 1 1/4 in front and 1" n back. Do u think 1 coil n front and 3/4 in back would do that? I don't want to mess with camber bolts or plates.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Region: Texas

Yes man, for the fronts its the bottom and the rears are from the top..i just did mind and its not that hard at all..let me know if you need more help..pm me your contact number if anything..
rich671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

either cut will be fine op..if you do only go 1 front and 3/4 back you can always cut more later

Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

That's cool. I didn't want to have to keep taking out and cutting lit bits. I just got to get it lower than stock. It bothers me everytime I look at it. Ill get lowering springs in spring. Wont really be driving to much in winter.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

sounds good

Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I dunno if I can help much, as everyone else who commented is pretty spot on; but I will say I have a 2000 GT I cut the springs on. I dis 1-3/4 on the front and 1 in the rear. She's been sitting that way for almost 4 years now, and the drivability is great. I will add that i had a few issues, speed bumps and the camber is off a bit, but not enough that I worry. I also have a 90' Fox I cut the wrings on too, and no problems there at all. I did 1-1/4 on the fronts and 1 in the rear. And the main thing is TAKE YOUR TIME. It's better to cut off too little than too much. Just take an afternoon and see what you like best. Good luck! And post pics too

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
How about and alinement after the cutting?
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87 View Post
give it two weeks before you do that

Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry, I respect all I learn from 1slosix but, I would definitely get it aligned immediately. Keep in the back of your mind that with camber maxed, you may have to look into caster camber plates, and then puts you in the position of considering a bumpsteer kit fore safety over bumps and not skipping off to the left or right at high speeds.
I have ripped up some expensive front tires driving short distances before getting to my alignment appointment because I ran out of camber adjustment or something else similar. -just my quick FYI, good luck, you'll love it.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
I'm sorry, I respect all I learn from 1slosix but, I would definitely get it aligned immediately. Keep in the back of your mind that with camber maxed, you may have to look into caster camber plates, and then puts you in the position of considering a bumpsteer kit fore safety over bumps and not skipping off to the left or right at high speeds.
I have ripped up some expensive front tires driving short distances before getting to my alignment appointment because I ran out of camber adjustment or something else similar. -just my quick FYI, good luck, you'll love it.
+10000 Absolutely right!
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
i disagree...i have never had more then a neg 3 degree camber issue after even a full 1.5" drop...cutting it at what we are talking about wouldn't even be that. A car needs proper time to settle after any type of drop. Then during the alignment i have them leave my camber at neg 2 because of the corners i enjoy. now if he can clearly see his toe is out then by all means, but this is highly doubtful. In fact in my GT i ran 8 months after cutting the springs before my alignment with no feathering or abnormal wearing of the fronts. just my opinion on the matter 2 weeks is a good settle time. Having your car settle into it's new stance a week or so after getting an alignment and changing it's settings would suck afterall, and any car i've cut or lowered really does shift during those precious first few weeks

Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thought bumbsteer kits were not for DD? I already need new tires. I'm running without alignment til taxes. Then ill get new wheels, low springs, and alignment l. Prob only put 1500 miles between now and then. Can't drive n snow ( WV) winters can be bad.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

-Bumpsteer kit is used on any car dropped 2"-3".
Bumpsteer is a term for the situation where the front toe changes as the suspension moves up and down. If the toe changes more than a very small amount it will cause the car to change direction, making the car unstable and unpredictable.
- ANYONE will know right off the bat if an alignment is needed after any suspension work, tires will wear funny quickly, they will squeal when braking or turning, especially in painted floor parking garages, they will squeal driving straight on a painted floor surface. If you have none of those issues then, great.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87 View Post
This is what I had after cutting my springs. Each car and each suspension job is different but this is what I had to deal with until properly aligned, Just FYI on my sistuation:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang