02 rapidly overheats! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
02 rapidly overheats!

Here's the list if what I've changed so far:

1. Battery
2. Manifold
3. Alternator
4. Serpentine Belt
5. Water pump

Now the car can just sit there running and get almost to the H on the temp gauge in about 5-10 minutes.

And the check engine light is on. The code (I'm paraphrasing) is something about detecting a high temp in one of the cylinders or heads. One of the possible causes is overheating.

The AC will work fine until right after the temp passes midway then it blows warmer air.

Any ideas?

Could it be the wrong belt?
Bryan02V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Temperature sensor?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #3

Region: Oklahoma
It could infact be a temp sensor but that seems unlikely in my mind... You could try and replace that first before u start spending a ton of money and time on other options and see if it works...I had the same problem in my 91 and it was the radiator... I replaced it and BOOM, no overheating anymore... Infact I run fairly cool now at about 140°... I found a "top of the line" 4 core radiator on Craigslist that was originally bought for upwards of $600 and the guy was selling it for $60 and it was almost brand new... Try those options and let me know how it goes... Good luck...
StayBrutal 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
^ X10... Replacement radiators on Ebay for 100.00 or less all day long.
mustang06gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

I also forgot to add that I replaced the thermostat too.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: 02 rapidly overheats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan02V6 View Post
Thanks!

I also forgot to add that I replaced the thermostat too.
thats what i figured thermostat..Does it seem like its acually overheating,,it could be air trapped not letting water pass smoothly across the ECT sensor,,never really seen fords do it very often,,but seen it happen with chevys

---------- Post added at 04:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
thats what i figured thermostat..Does it seem like its acually overheating,,it could be air trapped not letting water pass smoothly across the ECT sensor,,never really seen fords do it very often,,but seen it happen with chevys
Usually a clogged radiator will take a little longer to overheat
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan02V6 View Post
Here's the list if what I've changed so far:

1. Battery
2. Manifold
3. Alternator
4. Serpentine Belt
5. Water pump

Now the car can just sit there running and get almost to the H on the temp gauge in about 5-10 minutes.

And the check engine light is on. The code (I'm paraphrasing) is something about detecting a high temp in one of the cylinders or heads. One of the possible causes is overheating.

The AC will work fine until right after the temp passes midway then it blows warmer air.

Any ideas?

Could it be the wrong belt?
From your description I would guess that you have a blown head gasket.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

With a blown head gasket you would see white smoke out exhaust or radiator fluid in oil. It doesn't always take a long time to overheat with a clogged radiator. High performance engines overheat faster. Take it to a shop and have them run a diagnostic test to see whats wrong. Only cost 35.00 and can save you hundreds or even thousands.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang06gt View Post
With a blown head gasket you would see white smoke out exhaust or radiator fluid in oil. It doesn't always take a long time to overheat with a clogged radiator. High performance engines overheat faster. Take it to a shop and have them run a diagnostic test to see whats wrong. Only cost 35.00 and can save you hundreds or even thousands.
Sometimes that is true, but not always.
I have worked on lots of vehicles and many other types of machinery for many years, so I didn't make the guess just off the top of my head.
Rapid overheating could easily be caused by a blown head gasket, cracked head or block and not show the usually expected indicators.

This phrase in his original post is what makes me think this may be the problem.
Quote:
The code (I'm paraphrasing) is something about detecting a high temp in one of the cylinders or heads.

A high temp in one cylinder would not be caused by a plugged radiator.
All cylinders would be equally affected.

There is also the possibility that an injector or two is malfunctioning and the cylinder(s) affected are running way lean, but I wouldn't expect it to heat up that quickly with just an injector or two malfunctioning.

Run a compression test on the cylinders affected if you know which ones they are, if not run it on all cylinders. Also when the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap, start the engine and let it idle, observe the coolant in the radiator and see if you can see any bubbles in the coolant. A few bubbles will be normal, but a constant stream while the engine is running will indicate that cylinder compression is entering the coolant system.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

big question here...when you replaced the water pump and thermostat...did you burb the system?

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ive acually seen a severly clogged convertor do it too...But before you spend alot of money on different parts,,sometimes its best to start with the basics..Do what trojan said and start with a compression test,,A compression gauge doesnt cost too much..That way you know if that comes out good,,your mechanically sound and you can go from there..Ive myself have overlook compression checks because the computer can adjust so much that a uneven compression engine can still run pretty decent..
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My first thought would be temp/temp sensor.. My dad had a dodge that had similar symptoms

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Sometimes that is true, but not always.
I have worked on lots of vehicles and many other types of machinery for many years, so I didn't make the guess just off the top of my head.
Rapid overheating could easily be caused by a blown head gasket, cracked head or block and not show the usually expected indicators.

This phrase in his original post is what makes me think this may be the problem.

A high temp in one cylinder would not be caused by a plugged radiator.
All cylinders would be equally affected.

There is also the possibility that an injector or two is malfunctioning and the cylinder(s) affected are running way lean, but I wouldn't expect it to heat up that quickly with just an injector or two malfunctioning.

Run a compression test on the cylinders affected if you know which ones they are, if not run it on all cylinders. Also when the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap, start the engine and let it idle, observe the coolant in the radiator and see if you can see any bubbles in the coolant. A few bubbles will be normal, but a constant stream while the engine is running will indicate that cylinder compression is entering the coolant system.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I would say that your response is the best and is probably the cause of his problems.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang06gt View Post
That actually makes a lot of sense. I would say that your response is the best and is probably the cause of his problems.
Thank you.

I actually hope not for his sake, but it is the best conclusion I can come to with the information given.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

^ me too
Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Check to make sure ur fan is working properly and that your water pump is cycling properly.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm still wondering if you had burbed the coolant system OP...believe me it is a must when swapping the things you did. Ask Sienna...he had the same issues you're having. Didn't burp it. I had him do it and well now he has no issues.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well I dodged a huge bullet there. It was just trapped air in the lines.

Now the ABS light has been on for years. The former mechanic said nothing to worry about as the cost of fixing outweighed the need to fix. Mechanic B says it needs fixing.

Who's right?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

lol i thought it just needed to be burped

as for that having the ABS light on could be for a handful of things. It is always a good idea to have any ABS codes run, and fixed. Yes things like speed sensors suck to pay for, but there are reasons the light is on. Mechanic A wouldn't get near my car lol. Sounds like a question for an ASE exam

Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I was nervous because I read so many cases of that being gasket trouble.

As for the ABS, I too prefer to be safe than sorry. Hopefully it's not too big of a hit.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yea thats funny it does sound like a ase question..lol..Abs is just a extra ,,you still have regular brakes,,but its nice to have it when needed..I would find out the code,,some abs codes can be cause by pressure loss problems,,which may be in the regular brake system..For sure if the abs and the brake light is on..Find the code and post them
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Only the ABS light is on. But I'll let you know what he says.

He tried the computer first but it didn't give him an answer so he's trying the "old fashioned way" as he put it. So he's got the car one more day.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

ABS module is out. It's a $700 dealer only part.

Anybody know where I can get one on the cheap?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Try ebay
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

What a rip,on the price,,maybe a junk yard,,but sometimes they r just a high,,there might be places that can repair them,,like they do clusters,,on the intranet,,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang