V6 Engine Rebuilding? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
V6 Engine Rebuilding?

Hey, everyone! Long time no ask-y questions here, haha.
So, I definitely want to keep my v6 running as long as I can. It's just now hitting the 226,000 miles mark. Crazy, right? Anyways, the engine isn't perfect, it likes to spit black crap out of the tail pipes, the engine has been overheated a couple times... oh, and my engine (I think) burns a tiny amount of oil.

I realize that this stuff happens with age, but I have a question.
If I can't find a replacement v6 engine, how would I go about rebuilding this one?
And how much would this stuff cost?
And I guess is there anything that the shops could do to increase my performance or anything I could do while the engine is out?
LaseRedXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Check out jegs and summit. They will have everything you need. For a full rebuild you will need pistons, rings, wrist pins, crank and connecting rod bearing, gaskets and timing set. With that many miles you'll wanna have you crank rebalanced or replaced. You should check your cam shaft too. Not sure how the wear in these motors are but you wanna check the lobs. You will also wanna take your motor to get honed out. You should also wanna get your heads checked out too if its been over heated. Get your valves ground or replaced. Personally I would replace the valve springs but that's a judgment call. Check your push rods, roll em along a flat surface(mirror, granite counter top, window) and make sure they are still straight. If they're the least bit bent, replace them!! Get some good quality assembly lube and high quality gaskets, don't skimp on these. Also if you want, go for a higher compression piston.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
In my opinion if you want to rebuild your engine and you want to get more performance I would look into a 4.2 rebuild. Instead of honing the engine get it bored and get a 4.2 rotating assembly either new or from a low mileage 4.2 liter from an f150. Also if your rebuilding now would be the time to look into forged internals if you plan on making power. A turbo on a forged engine can make some serious power for a v6. Or you can get higher compression pistons for a good NA build. Either way of rebuilding I'd go 4.2 liter
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's true. If you want to get more buck outta your pony do the 4.2. You can get a forged crank, and forged rods but I would get hypereutectic pistons. If its a daily driver forged pistons can wear out quicker. But yeah do a 4.2, with a nice cam and you're good to go.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12
In my opinion if you want to rebuild your engine and you want to get more performance I would look into a 4.2 rebuild. Instead of honing the engine get it bored and get a 4.2 rotating assembly either new or from a low mileage 4.2 liter from an f150. Also if your rebuilding now would be the time to look into forged internals if you plan on making power. A turbo on a forged engine can make some serious power for a v6. Or you can get higher compression pistons for a good NA build. Either way of rebuilding I'd go 4.2 liter
What's the MPG in the 4.2 conversions?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Re: V6 Engine Rebuilding?

the 4.2 swap wouldn't really do anything to MPG's...

side note: OP if you rebuild i have some rod/main bearings sitting here i never used if you want them

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Shove a 3.7 in there. Problem solved!
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

C'mon, a 4.2 has to drop it at least a couple MPG. As soon as I get a more fuel efficient car I'm doin the forged 4.2 to my stang. You build it up nice you're totally keepin up with GT's. Plus that classic look people have when you tell em it's a v6 lol
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Haha, thanks for the replies, guys.
The thing is, I love this car to death, and I'd love for it to keep pace with '98 GT's. Just the fact that it's a 6 would be funny enough.
I'm definitely loving the 4.2 idea.
Would my exhaust note be any different with a 4.2 dropped in?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
A little different because your changing the displacement so there's a little more air being forced out
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
C'mon, a 4.2 has to drop it at least a couple MPG. As soon as I get a more fuel efficient car I'm doin the forged 4.2 to my stang. You build it up nice you're totally keepin up with GT's. Plus that classic look people have when you tell em it's a v6 lol
There was a negligible amount of change in mine... (for the better)

Yeah it sucks in a minuscule amount of more air, but drive exactly the same as before and you won't even notice it
"in theory" you have more torque, makes it easier to move, less struggling means less work, less work means more efficient, see where this is going? Lol

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, guys, thanks. =)
I have a question, though.
If I wanted my v6 to basically be as fast as a 98 stock gt, could one of you advise me a build sheet to shoot for?
I definitely am gonna try for the 4.2 swap, and my plan is to find another 3.8 block to build on stand as I drive this one into the dirt, lol.
So... 225 hp and what, 285 tq? How can I attain this?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaseRedXD
Alright, guys, thanks. =)
I have a question, though.
If I wanted my v6 to basically be as fast as a 98 stock gt, could one of you advise me a build sheet to shoot for?
I definitely am gonna try for the 4.2 swap, and my plan is to find another 3.8 block to build on stand as I drive this one into the dirt, lol.
So... 225 hp and what, 285 tq? How can I attain this?
Your tq won't exceed hp by that much lol
By the way those are crank numbers for the old non-PI gt's which is not hard to beat hp at least

You could just do a motor build to get around their numbers somewhat easily, or just grab a supercharger kit and be there a little easier install wise, it really depends how you want to go

blower/new cam soon
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Crank numbers. Okay, so the realistic numbers would be a chunk lower? Awesome, haha. I don't really know which to do, I just want a mean little v6 until I can afford to dump money into my gas tank, really. Haha.
Are superchargers on a v6 safe, really?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaseRedXD
Crank numbers. Okay, so the realistic numbers would be a chunk lower? Awesome, haha. I don't really know which to do, I just want a mean little v6 until I can afford to dump money into my gas tank, really. Haha.
Are superchargers on a v6 safe, really?
Stay at/under 11 psi on a stock internal motor no worries..

blower/new cam soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang